Favorite Skaters of All Time | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favorite Skaters of All Time

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
I will go for the people that had taken me into this beautiful and amazing sports an that, for me, will always have an important place in my heart :thank:
Ladies: Carolina Kostner :gclap:
Men: Plushy :cheer:
Pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy :points:
Dance: Virtue/Moir :love:

Rossig

On the Ice
Mine favourite skater are Torvill and Dean

When it comes to singles, my favourites change from time to time. But now I would say: Midori Ito and Daisuke Takahashi.
Pairs - no clear leaders

love

Spectator
Yuna Kim! She 's my favorite figure skater, so talented. She is so beautiful,gentle, elegant, graceful, musical. I love her very.

narcissa

Record Breaker
In an all-time best, I value artistry, solid technique, musicality and unique moves, alongside the ISU competitive results.

As time goes by:

*Men: Ronnie Robertson, Ondrej Nepela, John Curry, Toller Cranston, Ron Shaver, Igarashi Fumio, Igor Bobrin, Robin Cousins, Brian Pockar, Norbert Schramm, Gary Beacom, Aleksandr Fadeev, Christopher Bowman, Todd Elderedge, Paul Wylie, Scott Davis, Kurt Browning, Viacheslav Zagorodniuk, Alexei Urmanov, Elvis Stojko, Philippe Candeloro, Ilia Kulik, Alexei Yagudin, Evgeny Plushenko, Sasha Abt, Michael Weiss, Samory Ba, Emanuel Sandhu, Brian Joubert, Jeffrey Buttle, Stéphane, Lambiel, Shawn Sawyer, Jonathan Cassar, Florent Amodio, Takahashi Daisuke, Oda Nobunari, Patrick Chan, Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Artem Grigoriev, Denis Ten, Javier Fernández, Machida Tatsuki, Uno Shoma, Han Yan, Elladj Balde,

*Ladies: Cecilia Colledge, Belita, Darlene Gilbert, Petra Burka, Laurence Owen, Peggy Fleming, Tamara Bratus (Moskvina), Tatiana Nemtsova, Okawa Kumiko, Janet Lynn, Karen Magnussen, Dianne de Leeuw, Isabel de Navarre, Linda Fratianne, Lisa-Marie Allen, Denise Biellmann, Watanabe Emi, Katherine Healy, Tracey Weinman, Kay Thomson, Katarina Witt, Debi Thomas, Tiffany Chin, Kira Ivanova, Sandra Garde, Ito Midori, Nathalie Krieg, Jill Trenary, Rory Flack, Nancy Kerrigan, Tonya Harding, Surya Bonaly, Sato Yuka, Chen Lu, Marina Kielmann, Oksana Baiul, Nicole Bobek, Maria Butyrskaya, Irina Slútskaya, Michelle Kwan, Diana Póth, Lucinda Ruh, Vanessa Gusmeroli, Naomi Nari Nam, Sasha Cohen, Sarah Hughes, Angela Nikodinova, Yebin Mok, Beatrisa Liang, Julia Sébéstyen, Arakawa Shizuka, Carolina Kostner, Ota Yukina, Fleur Maxwell, Joannie Rochette, Asada Mao, Kim Yuna, Alissa Czisny, Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, Kiira Korpi, Sofie Barnova, Yúlia Lipnítskaya, Maria Sotskova, (...)

*Pairs: Belousova & Protopopov,Rodnina & Zaitsev, Babilonia & Gardner, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Mishkutenok & Dmitriev, Yamaguchi & Galindo, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Meno & Sand, Ina & Zimmermann, Shen & Zhao, Savchenko & Szolkowy, Kavaguti & Smirnov, Volosozhar & Trankov, Duhamel & Radford, (...)

*Ice dance: Moiseeva & Minenkov, Torvill & Dean, Bestemianova & Bukin, Klimova & Ponomarenko, The Duchesnays, Usova & Zhulin, Krylova & Fedorov, Roca & Sur, Rahkamo & Kokko, Anissina & Peizerat, Fúsar-Poli & Margaglio, Bourne & Kraatz, Lang & Tchernyshev, Denkova & Stavinski, Belbin & Agosto, Dubreuil & Lauzon, Delobel & Schoenfelder, Scott & Moir, Ilinykh & Katsalapov, Cappelini & Lanotte, Papadakis & Cizeron , (...)

ps. In red letter is my all-time favorite of each category.

LOL! you're one dedicated skating fan!! :laugh:

narcissa

Record Breaker
for me, yuna kim and yuzuru hanyu are miles above the rest, although i do also like sasha cohen, yulia lipnitskaya, marin honda, gracie gold, javier fernandez...

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I can go way back now thanks to youtube:

Men: John Curry (but really that one Olympic gold medal winning skate), Javier Fernandez. Yagudin used to be #1 but I find when I go back to watch him he looks dated to me.

Women: Kwan. Nobody else has consistently put it all together since, as far as I'm concerned. ******

Dance: Anissina & Pezerat, The Shibs, Virtue and Moir, Capellini & Lanotte.

Pairs. All Russian except for Shen & Zhao.

Last edited by a moderator:

meem

On the Ice
Ladies: Michelle Kwan (with Kristi Yamaguchi a close second)
Men: Daisuke Takahashi
Pairs: Mishkutenok & Dmitriev (with Sale & Pelletier a very close second!)
Dance: Klimova & Pomonorenko (with Davis/White another very close second!!)

Someone mentioned Champions on Ice where we'd get to see the pro's and the current competitive skaters. Those were the days of great figure skating. The "amateurs" would skate their SP & LP which was wonderful to see if you couldn't attend Nationals.

^ Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. As we say around here, "post often, post long." :)

Kristi = :rock: And thanks for mentioning Sale and Pelletier. :yes:

Second favorites of all time:

Ladies: Kristi
Men: Kurt Browning
Pairs: Tai and Randy
Dance: Davis and White (the Shibs are gaining :) )

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha Cohen!!!!! Only Yulia can compete with her although Mao is right in the mix:love:

MIM

Medalist
Ladies -- Michelle Kwan
Men -- John Curry
Pairs -- Gordeeva / Grinkov
Ice Dance -- Klimova / Ponomarenko

Your 3 favorites in the list made me watch Klimova and Ponomarenko (I started to watch ID very recently) on Youtube. The first one was tchaikovsky no.5.
Wow.... It was an eye opening experience. That gave me totally different ideas and impression on Russian skating. I only saw and tasted a tip of iceberg!!!

Thank you for your list :)
Edit: and I also learned from a You tube comment that their son, Anthony is a junior ice dancer with a partner, Christina CARREIRA, Québécoise, representing US!! They are doing really well and looking very promising!!:2thumbs:

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your 3 favorites in the list made me watch Klimova and Ponomarenko (I started to watch ID very recently) on Youtube. The first one was tchaikovsky no.5.
Wow.... It was an eye opening experience. That gave me totally different ideas and impression on Russian skating. I only saw and tasted a tip of iceberg!!!

Thank you for your list :)
You're very welcome, and thank you for giving me a thumb up - you were my 3,000th thumb. It was VERY hard to make a choice for the pairs and ice dancing. My favorite has always been pairs. So I couldn't choose between Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze, Rodnina / Zaitsev, and G & G. Some day when I have time, I am going to look at all the wonderful Russian ice dancers again. I was so fortunate to see so many of them in Champions on Ice when they used to do post-Olympic tours.

MIM

Medalist
Ladies: Michelle Kwan
Men: Scott Hamilton
Pairs: Protopopovs
Dance: Belbin and Agosto

The (pair) skating has gone nowhere, watching Portopopovs.
Despite the abrupt music changes and her hair, their effortless lift, unison, spirals are just :love:

The podium is funny.. ladies have exact same hair style!! :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tY_2eE9hv8

This thread is really good! educational and inspiring! :thumbsup:

blackey

On the Ice
ladies: asada
men: hanyu
pairs: none
dance:virtue&moir

I also like jun hwan cha and marin honda A LOT. They are too young now but I feel they might become my favorite if they go on the right track.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I didn't get into figure skating as a whole at first, but rather there was someone in each discipline that made me fall in love with skating.
Ladies - Yuna Kim, who made me really love figure skating after Vancouver olympics. But I also have a super soft spot for Elena Radionova.
Men - Evgeni Plushenko no doubt about it
Dance - Shibutanis, i was not a big fan of ice dance, but then I somehow started supporting them and really got into it
Pairs - I would say V/T, although pairs is the discipline I still skip sometimes

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
From the past:

Men: John Curry
Ladies: Katarina Witt
Pairs: Gordeeva & Grinkov
Dance: Anissina & Peizerat

From recent years:

Men: Javier Fernández
Ladies: Anna Pogorilaya
Pairs: Sui & Han
Dance: Papadakis & Cizeron

Ross74

Medalist
Men: John Curry (many runners-up)
Ladies: Janet Lynn
Pairs: Tai & Randy
Dance: Torvill & Dean

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Sasha Cohen :hap10: and i will forever love Yuzuru and his textbook jumps, spins, flexibility, costumes and his fighting spirit :points: