2016-17 GPF Ladies SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies SP

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Ho ho ho ...
Merry PCSmas!!!

So I had a lot of fun tonight. Friday night out partying, fine dining, drinking champagnes. No figure skating in sight, how lucky am I!!:laugh:

What terrible tragedy missed out on such record breaking revered performance of all ages. Clearly the greatest thing in figure skating Rustory.. no need for 3lz3t, 3A, good taste, any sense of good program choreography, performance, artistic expressions, maturity, originality, creativity, emotional intelligence or even a challenging tech. it is all about the tanos (+skating while Russian). Duh!

The writing was on the wall when Satoko received 74 right from the beginning. It is so predictably politically correct, 1 Russian, 1 Japanese, 1 Canadian. Elena, 10 points worse off.. go home now. Anna, you are our fail safe for the great mother Russia in case our fav daughter doesn't work out. No UR on anyone...oh Ashley, Mirai, you'd have killed with 75s+ here. Oh but then you are not Russian, oh well....

ISU message to everyone else: Russia is going to win PyeongChang Ra ra ra!!! Veterans! Don't you dare come back, waste of time. Others, don't bother for the gold, you are the wrong nationality. ISU still owe Russia some golds for 2011 Tsunami WC bail out. Since they can not rely on the men or other disciplines, so let's put all our eggs in 17 years teen's sailor moon tano basket instead.

Any negative press, we can just show cute picture of her and remark her young age and you being a mean ole pooh pooh.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
A lot of proper cultural appropriation crap I see here again. /yoda mode off

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's not. Her gaping mouth is part of her performance in that she's trying to express the music through her facial expressions. Some of us are tired of her "wide-eyed open mouth expression" because it looks childish and unsophisticated and she does it too much. That has nothing to do with Evgenia as a person as I doubt she walks around like that off the ice. She's just been trained to use this facial expression in her programs.

Facial expressions are performance elements. Its no different from what actors do with their faces.

Ah, it gets so classy sometimes in here....... A lot, a lot of recent election voters here indeed.

Our dear foreigners, this is what 'Murica is all about, yo. Our people are so free - they feel they are entitled to say pretty much anything in our decent cultural refined democratic society, but at the same time they can feel so "offended" all of a sudden when someone find a proper word to call their behavior the way they actually are.... So much class! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Osmond was FIERCE. Huge jumps, effortless glide and speed, emotion - a strong, mature program.

Agree. A pleasure to watch. Pure attack, power and speed. I guess I just don't understand the appeal of affectation type skating. I felt Osmond should have been solidly in 1st-no 'ifs' 'ands' or buts.

Osmiumnitrate

Rinkside
Ho ho ho ...
Merry PCSmas!!!

So I had a lot of fun tonight. Friday night out partying, fine dining, drinking champagnes. No figure skating in sight, how lucky am I!!:laugh:

What terrible tragedy missed out on such record breaking revered performance of all ages. Clearly the greatest thing in figure skating Rustory.. no need for 3lz3t, 3A, good taste, any sense of good program choreography, performance, artistic expressions, maturity, artistic, emotional intelligence or even a challenging tech. it is all about the tanos (+skating while Russian). Duh!

The writing was on the wall when Satoko received 74 right from the beginning. It is so predictably politically correct, 1 Russian, 1 Japanese, 1 Canadian. Elena, 10 points worse off.. go home now. Anna, you are our fail safe for the great mother Russia in case our fav daughter doesn't work out. No UR on anyone...oh Ashley, Mirai, you'd have killed with 75s+ here. Oh but then you are not Russian, oh well....

ISU message to everyone else: Russia is going to win PyeongChang Ra ra ra!!! Veterans! Don't you dare come back, waste of time. Others, don't bother for the gold, you are the wrong nationality. ISU still owe Russia some golds for 2013 Tsunami WC bail out. Since they can not rely on the men or other disciplines, so let's put all our eggs in 17 years teen's sailor moon tano basket instead.

Any negative press, we can just show cute picture of her and remark her young age and you being a mean ole pooh pooh.

Sorry! Because ''scores across competitions cannot be compared'' (then whats the point of recording world record scores?) or ''she shows exquisite expression and emotion scrunching up faces while Mao and Yuna had zero expression on their faces when they had their WRs respectively.'' or ''Mao's 3A is underrotated'' or ''Yuna was overscored in the first place anyway'' or ''Yuna's send in the clowns was more subdued in emotion compared to her'' or ''let the evgenia bashing begin!'' Because a WR score is bound to receive comparisons to the previous WR?

I have stopped taking WR seriously since Evgenia' WR SP score because it doesn't reflect what happens in reality. Everyone in this competition is so inflated especially Evgenia. What's the point of having the IJS system when Evgenia's scores is just going to keep increasing with no visible improvements in her programs? How can she get almost 2 points higher in PCS when nothing has changed? At such a high level, a 2 points lead in PCS is huge especially in this competition where almost everyone is technically clean.

I really agree with how you no longer need a good 3A, or heck, even a rigorous program with good edge 3Lz+3T (or even 3Lz+3Lo) and 3F to gain high TES. Just try to game the system by tanos and backloading instead of actually trying to improve what really matters which wows a someone who doesn't know figure skating (huge distance and height, good air position, tight turns, smooth flows in and out etc). They don't even want to make it subtle, they could have given it a 78.90 or something but somehow it went overboard and gave an ob
vious 79+. No wonder I see many videos of junior or novice skaters already trying to put tanos in their programs while most likely forgoing huge jumps and compromising flow.

begin

Medalist
Ah, it gets so classy sometimes in here....... A lot, a lot of recent election voters here indeed.

Our dear foreigners, this is what 'Murica is all about, yo. Our people are so free - they feel they are entitled to say pretty much anything in our decent cultural refined democratic society, but at the same time they can feel so "offended" all of a sudden when someone find a proper word to call their behavior the way they actually are.... So much class! :thumbsup:

Quoting this for posterity bc it is so ridiculous lmao. We're all indecent rednecks for tolerating 'gaping mouth' #leclassy #makegoldenskategreatagain

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
It's too bad about these scores, because I do think this is the best Evgenia has performed the program. But it is hardly deserving of being the top scoring SP ever.

Osmond has really improved. Her spins used to be a weaker point but now she is competitive in that area.

I agree, this was the most polished performance by Evgenia.

Did Osmond ever struggle with spins? Feel like she was always strong there.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I agree, this was the most polished performance by Evgenia.

Did Osmond ever struggle with spins? Feel like she was always strong there.

Spins were always there for Kaetlyn, with level 4's since 2012-13 season. I think some are just now realizing how good she is...SURPRISE!

treeloving

Medalist
I think Evginia improves a lot. She was cripe and precise, there was no moment of hesitation. And she kept her speed though out the program, never slowed down.

Maria got ur on 2a:drama:

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice

For your information, I used the expression "open mouth" in my original post:

Evgenia is obviously very talented but her programs haven't yet achieved a senior level of sophistication. Please no more open mouthed facial expressions and fake plastered on smile at the beginning of the program, much less pantomiming speech to someone. And we won't even get into the heavy-handed pantomiming in her borderline tasteless 9/11 theme long program.

In my second post (the one you quoted), I was responding to another poster who used "gaping mouth" and I also said "wide open mouth". Gaping is a synonym for "wide open". Merriam Webster dictionary. But, I can see how some might be upset by the adjective gaping. It certainly wasn't my intention to be insulting.

Frankly, I feel a little bad for Medvedeva, who's most likely been coached to emote in this manner. Unfortunately, it's distracting, done to excess, and juvenile. Eteri could put a stop to it. I put the blame squarely at the feet of Eteri.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Quoting this for posterity bc it is so ridiculous lmao. We're all indecent rednecks for tolerating 'gaping mouth' #leclassy #makegoldenskategreatagain

I thought you were indecent, rude rednecks for attacking a sweet innocent Russian teenager by using that horrible 'gaping mouth' epithet? My reading comprehension seems to have slipped a bit since I took the SATs about 55 years ago.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Gaping mouth would mean
gaping: "stare with one's mouth open wide, typically in amazement or wonder." Which makes the use of the word mouth redundant. So there you go. You could just say that she gapes during the performance.

gaping is not a very attractive word and that is probably what people respond to.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think there should be a deduction for standing still and posing while taking a picture or answering a telephone or waving bye-bye, or whatever. Even on Dancing With the Stars, one of the judges would criticize dancers for "too much messing about"; you're supposed to be dancing, so dance! It'st figure skating, not figure posing, so skate already!

It is one thing to blow a kiss (as Nicolas Nadeau did last year, in time to the lyrics) or widen your eyes (as Luca Lanotte did in this year's Charlie Chaplin dance) or do some of Javi's gestures, while skating. It is quite another to stand around doing gestures.

mary01

Final Flight
LOL evgeninia broke Mao Asadas sp World Record from 2014 based on pcs, pcs only the judges see, what a reliable way for a socalled sport to break a record, what did she bring to the table that was better then the precious record breaking performance by Mao NOTHING, she is simply the chosen one lol, and that is apparently enough to break the figure skating record, what a joke

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I believe Kostner does lots of standing up posing, and Wagner...

I think there should be a deduction for standing still and posing while taking a picture or answering a telephone or waving bye-bye, or whatever. Even on Dancing With the Stars, one of the judges would criticize dancers for "too much messing about"; you're supposed to be dancing, so dance! It'st figure skating, not figure posing, so skate already!

It is one thing to blow a kiss (as Nicolas Nadeau did last year, in time to the lyrics) or widen your eyes (as Luca Lanotte did in this year's Charlie Chaplin dance) or do some of Javi's gestures, while skating. It is quite another to stand around doing gestures.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am late to the party. Someone must have pointed out that Satoko's 3toe is under rotated, and it does not even need slow motion to notice. And that was not called???