2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Short Program

readernick

Medalist
I love Andrew's passion, but I don't know that he matches Jason (yet) in edge quality and control, and as a dance teacher I kept wanting to run up and lengthen the back of his neck and open his back between his shoulder blades. It is all those little details that make Jason the pinnacle in terms of PCS, IMHO.
I actually didn't mean in comparison to Jason (although my comment does read like that... sorry) because I agree that Jason is special even when he doesn't deliver his best. I just think Andrew deserved higher PCS, in general. His SS are really incredible and he was committed to the performance. He deserved a few more points in PCS.

Crowdproud

On the Ice
Not a fan of Camden Pulkinen's full blade assist on the 4T. Did Tara / Johnny say anything about it, I wonder?

16Olympics

On the Ice
I'm liking the sp from Ilia more and more. It shows his commitment to the performance and it is sooooo exciting to watch.

Good for the top 6 for really performing under pressure of trying to place somewhere on that podium. So much grace in skating...Andrew, Maxim, Jason, Camden and power from Tomoki and Ilia. I have been waiting patiently for Daniel to make a move. He will get there but those above him have been down this road many times before.

Great event and the crowd has helped every skater. Love to see it.

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was able to catch Jason and Camden skating. Camden has improved from last season. Was sorry to see Jason's fall but he did well overall. I understand that Andrew T. had some great jumps. I'm glad he trains at Great Park. (home of Raf and NC)

But oh my, ILIA brought it and deserves his scores. I get very nervous when he's about to skate and he seemed a bit tense on the side. He has improved so much in artistry. Loved hearing Tara's and Johnny's remarks on him and of course the camera will focus on him before the skate. I remember when they'd do that for Nathan. I was thrilled that Tara brought up how Ilia is following a similar path as NC. Great seeing the dad on the side too urging him on. (as per the USA/NBC channel camera on the father) Ilia seemed to be a crowd favorite as well.

Go Ilia!!!!! So proud of him! :clap:

Last edited:

sworddance21

On the Ice
I actually didn't mean in comparison to Jason (although that comment does read like that... sorry) because I agree that Jason is special even when he doesn't deliver his best. I just think Andrew deserved higher PCS, in general. His SS are really incredible and he was committed to the performance. He deserved a few more points in PCS.
Oh, yes - I agree with you there, for sure.

Crowdproud

On the Ice
Ilia's PCS scores are higher than Jason's!!! That's so wrong. Why do the judges keep inflating Ilia's PCS - they don't need to - his technical score is already good enough for him to win.
Malinin got 106.90 at GPF when he included a 4A in the SP, vs 108.57 here. US Nationals scoring, sheesh.

cailuj365

On the Ice
I'm going to have to rewatch, because I still think Ilia's SP at Skate America was his best performance. He had a few wobbles today, but he's clearly, clearly in a field of his own here. I hope he keeps motivated for tomorrow.

Impressed with the US Men rising to the occasion to give their best performance at Nationals. The fight between 2nd-5th will be so exciting!!

Janice4th

On the Ice
I am actually very calm watching Ilia. Since I am not a super fan, I am not nervous. He will do Ilia things.

And he did. :)

I am so glad he really does seem to care about performance now. Is he Jason? Is he Andrew? No. but he doesn't need to be, I am just happy he is taking it seriously.
He captivated the crowd. The last part of his program is very exciting and entertaining.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Overall, a well-skated event!!! For some perspective on Andrew, last year he fell on a solo 4T in the Nationals SP and got 78. This year he did no quad but scored 88. Big improvement in score, and one place higher overall. What will happen in the free skate? I have no idea. But I am SO glad he skated his SP confidently. The SP seems to be his more nervous program. I also just want to keep him safe; no more injuries, please! :pray:

Our men came to SKATE today!!! :cheer2: :love: Well done to most of them! :biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Overall, a well-skated event!!! For some perspective on Andrew, last year he fell on a solo 4T in the Nationals SP and got 78. This year he did no quad but scored 88. Big improvement in score, and one place higher overall. What will happen in the free skate? I have no idea. But I am SO glad he skated his SP confidently. The SP seems to be his more nervous program. I also just want to keep him safe; no more injuries, please! :pray:

Our men came to SKATE today!!! :cheer2: :love: Well done to most of them! :biggrin:

It took 88 points (about) to make the Top 5 heading to the FS. That's a pretty high standard for US men, or most any competition actually.

A lot of men have reason to be proud, including some of those lower in the standings who also had a good short program.

meem

On the Ice
Who ok's the music for skaters? Liam Kapeikis was just starting to skate well. However, his music was from Jesus Christ Superstar...and it was the section where He was singing, "Just watch me die". Good grief. I loved JCS. The music is memorable. But who selects it for a skating competition??? I've groused about the not-so-good music choices over the years and wish there could be a volunteer committee (I'd volunteer!) to help with music.

Last edited:

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm going to have to rewatch, because I still think Ilia's SP at Skate America was his best performance. He had a few wobbles today, but he's clearly, clearly in a field of his own here. I hope he keeps motivated for tomorrow.

Impressed with the US Men rising to the occasion to give their best performance at Nationals. The fight between 2nd-5th will be so exciting!!
The men's FS is on Sunday.