2017 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2017 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don't agree with this.. i think it will affect both Anna and Maria on international arena... the judges wouldn't know who the clear Russian no 2 is so they will mistreat both of them and will give the opportunity to promote a Japanese or a North American, as they would want a balance in the distribution of medals.

This happened in ice dance as well in recent time: there wasn't a clear leader and all got wrong.

OK we are free to disagree. One thing we should agree is that judges know who the clear leader is - Medvedeva. And as for the #2 lady Anna just recently got this place (namely at the last WC where she beat Radionova who had silver at the Nationals) and I think she won't give it up easily.

QuadThrow

Medalist
The last three years were a Russian inflation of talented girls who can do 3-3 as easy as they like. Russia sets the levels at women´s skating. Now the two front runners put almost every jump in the second half to make the difference. This development is quite crazy.

All Russian girls have a quite weak Axel. There is no possiblity to go for a triple Axel in any case. So I am asking, what these girls will do to get more points. There is nothing they can do. Zagitova came close to the maximum without-3A-BV (maybe 1,5 points less) in the SP and FP.

The rest of the world should practice the 3A. This is the way to beat these girls.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^Eteri says she has a junior girl who is practicing quad sal already. I bet it's as much pre-rotated as much as Liza Tursynbaeva's quad sal attempts though.

madison

Record Breaker
The last three years were a Russian inflation of talented girls who can do 3-3 as easy as they like. Russia sets the levels at women´s skating. Now the two front runners put almost every jump in the second half to make the difference. This development is quite crazy.

All Russian girls have a quite weak Axel. There is no possiblity to go for a triple Axel in any case. So I am asking, what these girls will do to get more points. There is nothing they can do. Zagitova came close to the maximum without-3A-BV (maybe 1,5 points less) in the SP and FP.

The rest of the world should practice the 3A. This is the way to beat these girls.

Trusova is trying the triple axel. She will be junior eligible next year.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don't agree with this.

There is one aspect where I would fully agree with you. I just looked at what is going on in Japan and saw that Satoko got 76 for her SP with the lead of 7 points over the second place. It means that the Japanese do not have anyone to compete for the worlds podium but Satoko who missed it last year. And they will invest whatever support is needed to keep her as #2 in the world. Hence, Anna's losing to Maria in Russia means harder life for her competing with Satoko internationally.

madison

Record Breaker
There is one aspect where I would fully agree with you. I just looked at what is going on in Japan and saw that Satoko got 76 for her SP with the lead of 7 points over the second place. It means that the Japanese do not have anyone to compete for the worlds podium but Satoko who missed it last year. And they will invest whatever support is needed to keep her as #2 in the world. Hence, Anna's losing to Maria in Russia means harder life for her competing with Satoko internationally.

and also with Osmond who is promoted as hell recently. I am afraid that if Osmond will be all clean at Worlds will overtake a clean Anna.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, thanks to this horrid at National, Anna with fully rotated jumps are both pushed down by Russian fed and international judges.
Maria has no chance to win over Satoko even when she's clean because Satoko will be clean with her twizzle jumps. Russian fed has just shot their chance. If they support Anna better, she could have better chance. Now they're all having no chance.
Only Zhenia is secured. And judging the way JSF is investing in Satoko, they might push her to 78 lol... I don't even understand judging anymore.

madison

Record Breaker

On the other hand, I understand why Russian Fed went all along with Maria. She might be the most stable of them three: Anna, Maria and Elena. While this season Anna had consistent competitions, I've heard her practice there and the warm-up weren't good at all and maybe that count. Although with my heart I would have gone with Elena, i think it's a wise decision to put Maria in the Euro and Worlds team in case Anna bombs. In any case, from a strategic point of view I would had Anna in front of Maria.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
On the other hand, I understand why Russian Fed went all along with Maria. She might be the most stable of them three: Anna, Maria and Elena. While this season Anna had consistent competitions, I've heard her practice there and the warm-up weren't good at all and maybe that count. Although with my heart I would have gone with Elena, i think it's a wise decision to put Maria in the Euro and Worlds team in case Anna bombs. In any case, from a strategic point of view I would had Anna in front of Maria.
Anna has been much more reliable than Maria this season. The only reason they pushed her down is because Maria has CSKA behind her back.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
For me, my favorites of the night were:

1. Medvedeva - still can't believe she put a 3-3-3 in there just for fun and to be invalidated!
2. Zagitova - such a technically packed program, hope she still has the stamina for this next year (and the year after).
3. Sotskova - she delivers again! Weird popped jump, can't remember seeing that very often from Maria... slightly surprised to see her on the podium in such a well-skated event.
4. Konstantinova - my second fav of juniors this year, really starting to like her even more now... the aborted jump was really strange, but she made up for it later. Her inconsistency may not be so terrible if she has the mind to correct her mistakes mid-program.
5. Pogorilaya - well done considering her injury issues coming into this event, but she still seemed effected by it... I didn't enjoy this as much as her GP events earlier this year... also, I'm starting to notice more & more her lack of finish/finesse in her movements. She's a world class skater now, no reason why she can't work on this, especially when young skaters like Sotskova & Gubanova already have it down.

So sad to watch the struggles from Liza, Sima, Elena, Lozko (so many URs :drama: )

I still enjoyed Gubanova, Fedichkina, & Sofia despite landing far from the podium.

Mikhailova was my favorite skate of the night from all skaters who had absolutely no chance of finishing in the top 5 at this event. She was so happy! :luv17:

Super event overall, all the ladies really brought it! :clapper:

winky97

Medalist
With the fast advances in technical, the age requirement for Worlds and the Oly's should be dropped imo.

I want the age raised. If they can twist, turn, bob, weave and jump like the Tasmania devil on crack after their bodies have matured, good for them, but right now the current system largely favors underdeveloped girls.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I want the age raised. If they can twist, turn, bob, weave and jump like the Tasmania devil on crack after their bodies have matured, good for them, but right now the current system largely favors underdeveloped girls.
Well, blame US system for not being able to push their underdeveloped girls the same way.

winky97

Medalist
Anna has been much more reliable than Maria this season. The only reason they pushed her down is because Maria has CSKA behind her back.

You think? I actually think they were more trying to push Elena down more so than Anna. If Anna made the podium then Maria does not. Then a decision would have to be made between Elena and Maria as to who goes in the 3rd spot. Despite Maria's consistency this her first year as a Senior arguments could have been made for Elena, despite her difficulties. So they needed Maria to medal to pretty much remove arguments. Meanwhile the decision between Anna and Elena is easy. Still sucks because I don't believe that Maria should have finished ahead of Anna and I am not really that sure I would have had her over Elena in the FS. Yeah, I know Elena has issues that need some attention, but I still prefer her over Maria right now. Maria is too boring right now. I like her but she does not have a personality on ice yet. I know some disagree and that's fine.

I wonder if Maria would have received the same benefit if she skated the same as she did this year, but with a not as connected coach. Anyone have any thoughts?

areuskater

Match Penalty
I wonder if Maria would have received the same benefit if she skated the same as she did this year, but with a not as connected coach. Anyone have any thoughts?

hasn't someone called it the "Buyanova effect" or politicking ?

Meoima

Match Penalty
You think? I actually think they were more trying to push Elena down more so than Anna. If Anna made the podium then Maria does not. Then a decision would have to be made between Elena and Maria as to who goes in the 3rd spot. Despite Maria's consistency this her first year as a Senior arguments could have been made for Elena, despite her difficulties. So they needed Maria to medal to pretty much remove arguments. Meanwhile the decision between Anna and Elena is easy. Still sucks because I don't believe that Maria should have finished ahead of Anna and I am not really that sure I would have had her over Elena in the FS. Yeah, I know Elena has issues that need some attention, but I still prefer her over Maria right now. Maria is too boring right now. I like her but she does not have a personality on ice yet. I know some disagree and that's fine.
I think they don't care much for Anna. They only care for Zhenia. Because they know Anna or even Maria will be pushed down at international level anyway. The international judges will try to insert Wagner/Osmond/Miyahara in between the Russian ladies.
With the way Elena skated, I doubt that they would have chosen Elena over Maria. Buyanova only wants to make Maria the Russian no 2 asap.

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

That makes Anna even more impressive this season, IMO. She can have bad practices but completely leave them behind when she steps on competitive ice. Most skaters are rattled by mistakes in the practices and warm-ups.

Anyway, I want so badly to see Anna kill it at Euros now.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I wanted to mention something when people were talking about TAT going three, three, three. She was in super fast speaking mode but she said something interesting about the 3S-3T-3T. She said Zhenya with that skating was showing Eteri that it is possible to make her program more complex, that it is necessary to make them more complex. And that that is stunning. Then she apologized to Zhenya for speaking while she was still skating. But seriously, it's an interesting thought, looking at the bigger picture, especially what followed.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wanted to mention something when people were talking about TAT going three, three, three. She was in super fast speaking mode but she said something interesting about the 3S-3T-3T. She said Zhenya with that skating was showing Eteri that it is possible to make her program more complex, that it is necessary to make them more complex. And that that is stunning. Then she apologized to Zhenya for speaking while she was still skating. But seriously, it's an interesting thought, looking at the bigger picture, especially what followed.
But it's impossible to make her programs more complex because she max it out already!