The latest on Gracie Gold | Page 64 | Golden Skate

The latest on Gracie Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm listening to the TSL episode at work right now. Interesting tidbit: Frank didn't want Gracie to do the second GP event or the Senior B.

narcissa

Record Breaker
The problem for Gracie is that her seasons best scores currently have her in 27th. She isn't going to be able to improve on that now. And several women behind her may pass her score (eyeballing it at least 4 people are likely to pass her at Worlds and 4CCs; it is possible that far more than that will). She won't be guaranteed any spots based on this

She is 7th on the World Standings list. She will be lower after Worlds and 4CCs and Euros, but it is mathematically/logistically impossible for her to fall out of the top 24. So she will be guaranteed one spot based on this.

After giving the guaranteed spots (2 to each person in top 12 at Worlds, 1 to each person in top 24 World ranking, 1 to each person top 24 Seasons best) they go down the seasons best list to assign additional spots. Gracie's chances of getting a second spot are very good based on this, but will depend on how far down the ranking she ultimately ends up, and also on how many of the top 12 at worlds and the top 24 in SB and WR respectively do or do not overlap.

Right now, I'd place quite strong odds on her getting 2 spots, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Thanks, this is helpful. Does it overlap, like if I am top 24 in WR and top 24 in SB, do I get 2 spots?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks, this is helpful. Does it overlap, like if I am top 24 in WR and top 24 in SB, do I get 2 spots?

No, it's SB or WR, not both. They usually go Seasons best first, then world ranking and than take it from there.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up yet, but what about the possibility of Todd Sand as a new coach? He's in Aliso Viejo, so it would force her to relocate, and I do get the feeling that she likes Southern California. Her and Carly can stay together is room mates, and mom can move back in with dad. Maybe some independence in her life would give her a boost, and training in a smaller setting could be a good thing. I know Todd didn't exactly show off roaring success with Courtney Hicks right now, but he could be an option here.

bytheriver

On the Ice
I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up yet, but what about the possibility of Todd Sand as a new coach? He's in Aliso Viejo, so it would force her to relocate, and I do get the feeling that she likes Southern California. Her and Carly can stay together is room mates, and mom can move back in with dad. Maybe some independence in her life would give her a boost, and training in a smaller setting could be a good thing. I know Todd didn't exactly show off roaring success with Courtney Hicks right now, but he could be an option here.

And Courtney's coming back from an injury, so it isn't any real fault of Todd Sands that she underperformed here. He also made a good choice having her go for 3F-3Lo rather than 3F-3T because her injury made the 3T harder on her body. Although she probably should have downgraded her 3-3 to a 3-2 (to be safe and make it more reliable), but c'est la vie.

bytheriver

On the Ice
Next season it's the last of the GPs.

Interesting. If she doesn't qualify for 2 GPs, I wouldn't be surprised if the USFSA planned to wait to see her results at her first GP before giving her a host pick for SA. If she doesn't do well they would probably rather give the host pick to someone else promising who didn't get a GP (maybe Polina, a recently moved up senior, or an upstart with strong potential).

I don't think the USFSA will be doing her any favors in the coming months, and that might be a good thing. This is make it or break it time for Gracie and holding her up will only hurt her in the long-run. I'm so glad they didn't give her the first alternate spot for Worlds/4CC.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
No worries, just trying to piece together the order of events during the weekend.

My most surreal moment in Kansas City was heading out to a burger bar w/ a friend after the ladies free skate on Saturday night, and we ended up seeing Gracie there alone! She looked so sad. I had to go over & say something to her. She was incredibly gracious and even gave us her trademark bright beaming smile for a photo op.

Looking back on the pictures now, she was wearing the jacket from the alleged Jacketgate incident... :eek:hwell:

Everyone loves a good comeback story — especially during the Olympic season. I'm rooting for you, Gracie! :thumbsup:

pics or it didn't happen :biggrin:

TGee

Record Breaker
I'm listening to the TSL episode at work right now. Interesting tidbit: Frank didn't want Gracie to do the second GP event or the Senior B.

One really wonders what his agenda is in giving a lengthy TSL interview given that they haven't closed off the legalities...

There seems to be a lot of interest in getting his side of the story out, including all the ways she wasn't following his plan....

I've gone from having questions about the fit between them, and whether his coaching has adapted to modern concepts of the role of an elite coach that would encompass her needs, to just finding him plain and simply unprofessional.

And while all of us call feel tempted to want to know all the juicy details, I really don't want to reward TSL or Frank by clicking on it. Will read your summary and perspective with interest though....you seem much more moderate and balanced than either TSL or Frank at this point.

bytheriver

On the Ice
One really wonders what his agenda is in giving a lengthy TSL interview given that they haven't closed off the legalities...

There seems to be a lot of interest in getting his side of the story out, including all the ways she wasn't following his plan....

I've gone from having questions about the fit between them, and whether his coaching has adapted to modern concepts of the role of an elite coach that would encompass her needs, to just finding him plain and simply unprofessional.

And while all of us call feel tempted to want to know all the juicy details, I really don't want to reward TSL or Frank by clicking on it. Will read your summary and perspective with interest though....you seem much more moderate and balanced than either TSL or Frank at this point.

I don't think Frank did a lengthy interview with TSL. He did a mixed zone interview and he said after the free skate that Dave should talk to Gracie about some of his questions. I only heard the comment about the GPs and senior B's from Dave, and I think he was just assuming that Frank didn't want her to do it based on her comments and Frank's history of hating the Geand Prix. But I haven't watched the full Mixed Zone videos.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Judging just on what is coming out via Frank I completely agree but I'm losing interest in the reasons myself. The writing has been on the wall for many of us for almost two seasons now. I'm just glad it's over.

And while all of us all feel tempted to want to know all the juicy details, I really don't want to reward TSL or Frank by clicking on it. Will read your summary and perspective with interest though....you seem much more moderate and balanced than either TSL or Frank at this point.

This :yes:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm not going to watch the TSL episode because I think it's irresponsible at this point for these public displays of a young woman's painful struggles to go on - I for one am seriously concerned about her well being at this point. I did see the interview and it was painful to watch - some people took it as arrogance but I saw clearly a girl who was trying not to break down and put on a brave face. Not sure why I'm posting this except to say I wish the public shaming of her would stop for her emotional well being. Maybe it is because I have a child her age that I am aware of how painful smaller moments than this can be, so I can only think of what she is going through. Please try to support her rather than break her down.

Wait, so someone had a really bad day and took it out on someone 80yo who's more like a grandfather. And you're trying to excuse her behavior. What the hell is wrong with people these days? It's inexcusable regardless of circumstances. She should be sorry for being a petulant and spoiled brat to Frank. Frank should be sorry for not controlling his emotion and went tit-for-tat against his student. You teach her a lesson mainly because she's still young and still can learn a thing or two. Frank is too damn old to learn. He also doesn't care. So that's why people have a lot of opinions on her.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Wow, FlattFan, just wow.

Gracie is going through a struggle under pressure. I know what it is like to be under immense pressure, I put myself through the paces to achieve success in college so I could get my PhD afterwards. I understand what it is like when everything you've worked so hard for breaks down. I lashed out at the people around me and I am so thankful that the ones who really cared stuck around to pull me out of the ditch I had dug myself into. When bad things happen to people the anger and frustration is can't be burried anymore, she lashed out. Don't act so high and mighty. You have no idea what was going on in training, it is clear Gracie and Frank's relationship has been breaking down for awhile. We've only seen one small peice of what was going on.

It's not about excusing Graice's behavior it is about understanding that she isn't perfect and her world is falling apart. She is acting as a normal person would in that kind of situation. Your lashing out against a young girl you don't know, that's pretty sad.

andromache

Record Breaker

Not a Frank interview. Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression! Don't hate Frank too much! Just Dave talking about what he and others observed. Still unclear what Gracie meant when she told Phil she had wished Frank talked to her first - whether it was about Frank's decision to split or his decision to announce it. Unknown.

Sounded like Frank's answer to Phil was little off-the-cuff, after saying it was a little like "maybe I shouldn't have said that just now." Dave and Jonathan Beyer gently mocking Frank is kind of hilarious, sorry. I enjoy TSL most during US Nationals, because they know everyone and we get all the good scoops.

Gracie flung her jacket in Frank's direction (I think before she skated? Unclear). Frank just looked at it with some attitude (because Gracie was giving attitude, duh). USFS communications director (or something like that, idk) already trying to figure out to handle Gracie before her LP is even over. Gracie was "furious" after her skate and that's when she tells Frank to throw the jacket out. And Frank did. Dave regrets not having his camera out (if only)!

Gracie should've taken some minutes after her skate to compose herself and think through what she was going to say after that LP. They compare what she did to Max Aaron, who (after his SP, I assume) went right past the press into some curtained area to get himself together.

Discussion of Mirai, how she was successful with Frank until he moved to Palm Springs - situation very different from Gracie. Gracie is going through an angsty time, skaters mature very differently than regular people - their lives are way different than ours so they mature faster in some ways and slower than others, speculation that Frank is maybe not-so-great at dealing with young women going through tough times and ups and downs.

Why would Gracie want to go to Worlds anyway? It's an ego thing - turned out pretty good for Jeremy Abbot overall.

Anyway, that was a brief summation of the comments and info. I actually think TSL's summary was pretty good. The tone was somewhat gossipy and sounded like they enjoyed the drama a little too much, but to be honest I also wanted the gossip, and as much as my heart goes out to Gracie, figure skating isn't life or death. So I can't complain about that, really, though it'd leave a bad taste in others' mouths, certainly. Consensus: Gracie needs to take a couple months off, go on a yoga retreat, spend Worlds on an island somewhere, and wait for herself to start missing skating again. I'm inclined to agree.

Also watched a bit of the Mixed Zone coverage....Gracie after her LP is taking no sh** and it's kind of amazing to watch. I admire her honesty and even her b**tchy tone, because it's honest. There's a diva in there. Christine asks her if she will or will not be surprised if she makes the Worlds team, and Gracie responds: I don't want to speak to that because I know the committee reads everything we say :laugh:. Her statement about being a good pick for the team was obviously a straight up PR message to them, not something she thinks fans should believe or something she believes.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

And he was right. She should have skipped those events. She just ended up further eroding her self-confidence and doing more damage to her reputation.

andromache

Record Breaker
No worries, just trying to piece together the order of events during the weekend.

My most surreal moment in Kansas City was heading out to a burger bar w/ a friend after the ladies free skate on Saturday night, and we ended up seeing Gracie there alone! She looked so sad. I had to go over & say something to her. She was incredibly gracious and even gave us her trademark bright beaming smile for a photo op.

Looking back on the pictures now, she was wearing the jacket from the alleged Jacketgate incident... :eek:hwell:

Everyone loves a good comeback story — especially during the Olympic season. I'm rooting for you, Gracie! :thumbsup:

I hope she had a giant burger and french fries. :agree: Benefits of not going to Worlds.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
@andromache
I agree, I also thought that TSL's summary was good. They weren't nasty or unfair to either Gracie or Frank. They just portrayed how this coach - athlete relationship isn't working, that can happen. Nobody's fault imo, sometimes it just doesn't work. My impression is that Frank had a good connection with Carly but not with Gracie. I think that Gracie and Frank just always talked past each other.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Okay i saw the interview from TSL: obviously she was upset about her outing at Nationals, but she was indeed very arrogant. I've to mention some statements:

"... despite the rough season, i'm still pretty much the best skater in United States and in the Worlds"

if she says this to believe it okay, but that's not an objective opinion: there's so many better skaters than her at the moment, even in the US.

"When you compare to other skaters across the world who have totally dark seasons and then they comeback... Tuktamysheva was the world champion and totally undefeated and then nothing, and she has never been an Olympic Champion"

Wow what a lame comparison: first Liza has already won everything except the Olympic, she can definitely have some lazy season (also it's not easy to be on the world team in Russia) while Gracie has never won any major international competiton; also even today Tuktamysheva is still better than Gracie, at least she got a bronze medal at the Cup of China and a silver at the Golden Spin (where she beat Gracie btw)

"... i would be a very wise pick for the world team" (for this season)

:rofl:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
not a frank interview. Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression! Don't hate frank too much! Just dave talking about what he and others observed. Still unclear what gracie meant when she told phil she had wished frank talked to her first - whether it was about frank's decision to split or his decision to announce it. Unknown.

I think the text clearly states that it is his decision to announce it before informing her. Right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/olyphil/status/823295765346942977/photo/1

Status
Not open for further replies.