2017 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies FS

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except... Karen and Mariah are being sent on the basis of one good performance.

How are they going to learn to compete in big events unless they are sent? Mirai has had her chances and keeps squandering them.

russell30

Final Flight
PS going to bed... i work in 3 hours... so i have 2 hours of sleep granted i do sleep...

Kaetlyn : you will bounce back...

Mirai : glad to see you skate true to yourself. now do it all the time

Kaetlyn : you will bounce back... I hope so too.....She along with Satoko and maybe Wagner if on...can challenge the Russians -also put Caro in mix too

randomfan

Record Breaker
I bet the predictions will be a mess...practically everyone put Kaetlyn on the podium (and for the win)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
interesting to notice that gabby got the highest PCS... and very happy to see that her work is rewarded... a few years ago, she was very rough and unpolished and she has worked so hard.. she has very hard transitions in many jumps passes too... good job gabby!!! too bad for the loop but YAY for your silver medal !! that's awesome!!!!

I had actually thought Gabby woukd be the strongest Canadian lady this season, because Kaetlyn wold not be able to withstand pressure, But she had great Skate Canada result and SC went with Kaetlyn at Nationals, so I thought that I might've been wrong about it. But at 4CC it went to Gabby after all. I think Kaetlyn should be happy she's 4th. Those PCS saved her. Skating in last group has helped her. Same skate two groups earlier and she would be lower.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I'm surprised too, and while I don't like tanos, I think a rule like that would be dumb. Are we going to limit the transitions into a jump next?
If you don't like them, don't give out GOE for them like crazy (unless they really add to the overall quality). Then people won't do it so much either.

Yeah!

Or, assign levels for tanos.. if your arm isn't straight, you lose a level; if it's just bent and loose and even touching your head, it's negative level and negative GOE

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
interesting to notice that gabby got the highest PCS... and very happy to see that her work is rewarded... a few years ago, she was very rough and unpolished and she has worked so hard.. she has very hard transitions in many jumps passes too... good job gabby!!! too bad for the loop but YAY for your silver medal !! that's awesome!!!!

Did it seem to you that her jumps were tamed down just a tiny bit, maybe for a little better control? At Sk Amer they almost seemed kind of wild or frenzied and too big to control.

Last edited:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
The FS is really a force that turns the tide... :dev2:

Wakaba... my,my is she injured or something? so sad to see her crying, on the other hand I like that she shows her frustration and disappointment. Good luck at Worlds.

Karen... all I can say is seriously, where's the US Nationals Karen?

Rika... ouch, she hit the board. There were some parts of her program that I thought she was disconnected with her music but I did like her stsq.

Mirai... Glad to see her performing this program better than ever. Congratulations. :)

Kaetlyn... tsk3. Too bad for those falls. But I thought her stsq and chsq were lovely.

Gabrielle... Isn't clean but I thought she did wonderful. She was fast, executed most of her jumps and such nice stsq. I enjoyed her program overall.

Elizabet... awww, that didn't turn out so well. I love this program but she was behind her music. Oh well, there's still worlds so may the odds be with you. :) btw, was Brian scolding her? :)

Overall, my favorites didn't fare well at the FS with the exception of Gabby. :(

Congratulations to the medalists : Mai, Gabrielle and Mirai.

frida80

Record Breaker
Today is a very good day for Mirai fans... 1st in what... 5 years? lol...

First PB? No she got her short PB at September of last year. She got another PB at FCC last year. They've been plenty of good days for Mirai fans. ;)

Kittosuni

Medalist
Mirai needs to learn that one good performance a year isn't enough to get you to Worlds or the Olympics. She skates great when there is no pressure like here this morning but when it's all on the line she's not dependable.

No she needs to skate 2 clean programs. Lets be honest this was a relatively weak field and she still came out 3rd, behind Daleman. And where is the triple Axel? Did you see her 2A it was huge. She had nothing to loose for trying that and still played conservatively. She needs to refocus and change her mindset. Going to the olympics, her mindset should be 3Axel or nothing.

liv

Record Breaker
I want to see a video of Elizabet's long with the kissncry, without commentary, so we can hear exactly what Brian said about the arms... I just used the link above but the eurosport guys are talking...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wait a minute please. Don't forget that Mirai won silver at 4CCs last year. And in any case, if Mirai could bolster and maintain her confidence, she'd be winning everything right and left. She has that much talent. For god's sake, she can land gorgeous 3-axels, but can she do it under pressure of competition? The other problem has been a lack of full and complete support from U.S. fed who threw her out with the bathwater and did not care if she found her way back. It was through her own desire and determination, crucial support from friends and family, and from Tom Z that saved her career.

Oh yes of course, I suppose it has been too long. I didn't expect her to medal coming 5th in short. it is a chicken and egg situation with her... her career is totally not what I expected after Vancouver.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Which was the most un-hyped, low-key winner of 4CC in the past few years? Mai or Polina?
Did anyone predict Mai for the podium or for gold? :luv17: Anyway, this 4CC gold is hers to keep forever.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Thought I heard someone say Wakaba had a foot injury. I think she was struggling in the SP and even in practices.

matcha

Medalist
How are they going to learn to compete in big events unless they are sent?
Thank you, exactly! The USFSA has like a chronic thing where they rarely ever send skaters without experience to ISU events (just look at who they keep sending to junior worlds) and then people wonder why skater x y z has a little case of nerves or not a lot of experience on the intl scene.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I agree....better strategy..I am sure the European's determines who will be sent to Worlds (if TES has been reached by some European Countries). Some European nations are strict (like Germany and Belgium!) whose skater has to be in the top 5, 8 or 10 to be considered for World's..

In many cases yes. Russia always wait with announcing World Team. It's better than regret the choices or changing it last minute...

Art&Sport

Medalist
How are they going to learn to compete in big events unless they are sent? Mirai has had her chances and keeps squandering them.

I don't think it's exactly true that Mirai has had her chances. She went through some difficult stuff. Being coached by Frank was not a good experience for her. She was under a lot of pressure to be the next Michelle Kwan, instead of being nurtured to just be herself. U.S. got spoiled by years of Michelle Kwan dominance and expected that it would continue with Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu, without any consideration for their youth, their unique differences, and the over-exposure they received at too young ages. I do not blame either Caroline or Mirai for what they have gone through. They have weathered the personal storms and the attempts by U.S. fed to phase them out with determination, courage and grace.

According to Tom Z, people in skating community actively told him that he shouldn't bother coaching Mirai because she was trouble. Cool of Tom not to listen to them, but to meet with Mirai, talk to her, get on the same page about mutual expectations and help guide her to where she's at now. All I see now is that Mirai too often second guesses her abilities, as if she's in the mode of constantly having to prove herself. She needs to get over that. U.S. fed is still not in her corner though.