SD Music Choices for the Olympic Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

SD Music Choices for the Olympic Season

Barb

Record Breaker

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh, don´t worry, for sure some/many ice dancers will be choosing non traditional rumba. Remember the weird ¨waltzes¨ where they were just adding beats?

Truth. I'd be excited to hear some Beyonce, Cyndi Lauper, etc.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
When it comes to the SDs, I'm more of a traditionalist and I want to see the teams challenge themselves by going for an authentic Latin theme and paying respect to the culture that created these dances and music. Of course, one can do all the steps of a cha cha or rhumba to all sorts of genre of music as long as the beat fits, but that to me is defeating the purpose and taking the easy way out since you're not trying to actually adhere to dance style. IMO, straying far and artificially putting latin steps into pop songs that are easier for a dance team to interpret (even if the Rhumba pattern isn't very Latin itself) really is is way too DWTS-style neutral to the point of the SD losing all meaning and anything to really differentiate it from the FD in terms of musical and dance interpretation to me.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
After saying my piece, I did find a video of ballroom dancers doing a rhumba to a stripped down, slowed down version of Lauper's "Time After Time":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxfqYwOTdls

The above video looks like it'd be right up the Hubbell/Donohue wheelhouse. I would prefer this over a lot of the tackiness some ice dance teams of the past have thought Latin meant. Though with the FDs this season, I think many fans would welcome OTT caricaturization because it'd be a change of pace.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I hope teams don´t abuse of ¨Bésame mucho¨ and ¨sabor a mi¨ .

hello :ghug:, first thing I'd thought was that if we'll have this thread, chapis will sure deliver with some muy bueno choices of music :points::laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
as I have some choices already noted in my tiny FS notebook...

- Selena medley - Elena and Ruslan, they would embody just perfectly that playful Latin vibe of Selena's music I feel

- Santana medley - my dream combo is 'Maria' and 'Oye como va' :love:, I see Stepanova/Bukin doing this, Tessa/Scott or WeaPo

- Buena Vista Social Club - it would require a lot of care and thought to put together a full BVSC program, saving that Cuban feel in it, but I think that Gabriella and Guillaume would pull this off, that private dancing at the beach feel, Cuban vibes...

- Marc Anthony 'Valio la pena' - this is one of my faves to improvise with Latin style, would love to see it in step sequence, maybe Tessa and Scott?

- Sergio Mendes 'Magalenha' - it has to be included somewhere, my dream is WeaPo doing this

On a general note, I'm looking forward to see with what Piper and Paul will come up for SD, I'd freaking love to see them doing some Salsa/Bachata pure Latin vibe dance!!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I want them to bring the sexy sultry.

I want the woman in lingerie and the man in pajama bottoms and a wifebeater sporting a fake gang tattoo.

No lame Dancing with the Stars rhumbas.

It's just hit me how difficult it will be for the Shibs to thread the needle on this SD.

it will be difficult, but I trust their guts and tastes, I think that we could be very surprised how good their Latin SD looks comparing it with some teams with far more possibilities available regarding interpretation/expression to pull the SD off...I think it's all about convention taken of that style in general, then make up with good music and choreography - they can go in route of 'Latin Ballroom dance contest' or 'Casual Latin dance/Salsa on the street' vibe for example, doing it tastefully and in interesting, engaging way

There are possibilities, just few less of teams with obvious woman/man chemistry going, but I'm prepared to be surprised, in a positive way

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
After saying my piece, I did find a video of ballroom dancers doing a rhumba to a stripped down, slowed down version of Lauper's "Time After Time":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxfqYwOTdls

The above video looks like it'd be right up the Hubbell/Donohue wheelhouse. I would prefer this over a lot of the tackiness some ice dance teams of the past have thought Latin meant. Though with the FDs this season, I think many fans would welcome OTT caricaturization because it'd be a change of pace.

I agree that this type of approach could be ideal for Hubbell / Donahue. As for OTT I can't wait for Elena Ilinykh in that and reactions here, lol. People are going to hate it or love it, nothing in between. I'd like to see some Cesaria Evora songs based programs, but something else than Besame Mucho - please.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
actually, maybe a medley of Orishas songs would work for Maia and Alex? Really not sure if eg 'El kilo' would work as a Rhumba for pattern, but if so, it could be paired with some salsa/mambo and make a great dance...It would resonate that fresh/hip vibe of Latin which I think suits Shibutanis just fine

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Yeah, in order to combat the challenge the Latin rhythm may provide the Shibs, at least packaging them as young (but not immature or too young) and fresh and hip would work better than the more OTT/heavy make-up/hair route some ice dance teams historically went for.

I agree that this type of approach could be ideal for Hubbell / Donahue. As for OTT I can't wait for Elena Ilinykh in that and reactions here, lol. People are going to hate it or love it, nothing in between. I'd like to see some Cesaria Evora songs based programs, but something else than Besame Mucho - please.

I am excited to see what Elena Ilinykh will provide for us. I think she can go in so many different ways. I remember that she and Nikita went for a more understated/sophisticated approach to the Latin SD in 2012.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Backstreet's Back" by the Backstreet Boys could work for McNamara/Carpenter. I mean they did an exhibition to "I Want it That Way" last season and I thought they did well.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can anyone name this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-p076Lcaw

I could see I/Z doing this. The epitome of fun. But just how skimpy of a costume can women get away with next season? Hmmm....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWzPqsfZqqM

Or this Swing Da Cor Daniela ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5IrP1HpYM

I'd say decently skimpy. Tessa wore this the last time the rhumba was a compulsory dance. Another angle. You can't really see, but it's completely backless. I'm sure there are other examples, I just remembered this one so it was easy to find.