Performances worthy of 10 in components | Golden Skate

Performances worthy of 10 in components

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
After witnessing so much negativity in 4CC related threads regarding Nathan Chen PCS I thought it would be great to discuss performances that according to us are worthy of 10 in one or more components. As far as I know no one received yet perfect 10.00 in any PCS category, but many individual 10s were given by now. In pure theory you would need lights-out, expressive and clean skate, big name / reputation (that's how it is) & skating last.

Your types? Mine: I'd perhaps feel tempted to click 10 ...

Virtue / Moir - 2016 GPF Prince SD (Interpretation / Timing, Execution, Skating Skills?)

Patrick Chan - 4CC 2016 - Chopin LP
(Skating Skills & Transitions)

Davis / White - Giselle SD Worlds 2013 (Performance, Skating Skills?)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, may as well jump in and get ready to be beaten up but...

None.

I don't think we've reached it yet.

Raomina

On the Ice
Last edited:

Bcash

Final Flight
Yuna Kim 2013 Worlds LP Performance Execution
Yuna Kim 2014 Oly SP Interpretation and Performance Execution

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think a 10 should be unattainable and I also don't think it should be a benchmark that once set can not be surpassed. Humans aren't perfect and pretending a mark of perfection exists that can not be achieved seems irrational to me. A perfect ten in 2017 will likely look different than a perfect ten in 2027. Not a big deal really if you ask me.

Off the cuff ...... T/D Bolero comes to mind as being able to achieve such a mark but I'm sure there are many others I'd agree with. How about Mao's redemption Sochi FS. Surely someone can reason out a 10 in at least one component using fairly acceptable logic.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Jason Brown's Riverdance at Nationals. I think most of you know me well enough to know that I am not a Jason uber at all, but other than reasons of reputation/TES cannot see how that program doesn't deserve a 10 in performance.

And what about 6.0 programs you would give a 10 in P/E? Shen/Zhou Turandot!

blackey

On the Ice
yuzu's seimei at 15GPF.

i know people tend to like v/m's sd more, but for me their fd is the better program. I don't think there is any program achieve that level of emotion (for me). I'd give their national performance a 10 as well.

lappo

Final Flight
Agree with the aforementioned...I add Yuna Kim Danse Macabre at Worlds (I would have even given her a perfect 10 for that, still one my favourite programs ever).

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
Pairs:

S/S Pink Panther 2011/2014 WM/OS (2011/2014: Interpretation 2011: Performance)
V/T Masquerade Dance 2014 OS (Performance)
S/S Pina 2012 GPF (Composition, Transitions)
P/T Lady Caliph 2013 GPF (Skating Skills)
P/T Bocelli 2015 WM (Interpetation)
S/K The man in the shadow 2015 GPF (Performance, Composition)
S/M Lighthouse 2017 EM (Composition)

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Mao's Swan Lake

Sui/Han SP this season ad last season

Virtue/Moir SD this season

I just want PCS to be properly awarded...some skaters really have better choreography and interpretation in their programs this season yet they are still receiving the same score as last season...it just makes me sad because it makes me feel like their effort is not rewarded:(

TheCzar

On the Ice
Easy- Mao Asada's SP at Worlds 2014. Just the epitome of ladies figure skating. Performance, Interpretation, Choreography, SS.
If we take the technical away- I think her 2016 FS to Ritual of Fire has 10ish qualities.

Another one would be would be Yuna Kim's 2009 Danse Macabre at Worlds.

gotoschool

Medalist
Czar beat me to it because I took too long to write the post but I will leave it up anyway.

Mao's Nocturne 2014 Worlds and why - I love her massive ice coverage while setting the stage for her triple axel, going from an arcing curve in one corner of the rink to another arcing curve near the opposite corner. She displays a deceptive speed carved with fine control of her blade and edges and no extraneous pumping, as she glides smoothly and rapidly with a delicacy fitting the meditative mood of the music. On the final entrance to her triple axel, she punctuates the pensive sense by lifting her extended palms and giving a slight, dreamy smile which is a nice counterpoint to the suspense of her biggest element.

I love the transition in which she does a bird-like glide of her arms out of the big but beautifully light and delayed rotation of the triple axel with a couple of deft and seemingly effortless 180 degree turns accompanied by a windmill motion of her arms. I also love the repetitive actions of picking up one skate and crossing it back and forth quickly and smoothly in an elegant embellishment as she gains speed in between elements. It is also wonderful the way she gracefully extends her arms and one leg into the air in a gliding motion as a transition into the triple flip, with a variation into a kind of sideways veering motion on exit, as she skates with the opposite leg while doing the same kind of deft and seemingly effortless turns on exit that she did after completing the triple axel.

Another really memorable moment for me is when she extends her arms out and wheels around to the audience in a welcoming gesture as if inviting the viewer into her own personal world with a look full of wonder, after completing a number of pirouettes and quick, light leaps with semi-circles in the air on the exit to her triple flip and double loop. Then, she sets herself free with a winsome smile while combining all the previous motions into a final medley, with a brief crescendo and increase in tempo that ends with a one-leg extended glide into her final Biellmann spin. The grace, extension, articulation and fluidity in each movement mirror the tempo and flow of the music beautifully like a prima ballerina stretching out the feeling of each note just the right length of time, so that the music and Mao’s skating performance merge two forms of expression into a synergy that magnifies the emotional resonance of the composition immensely.

I agree with some of those above like Torville and Dean's Balero, Hanyu's Grand Prix Final SP and the other ones of Mao's that were mentioned but especially her Sochi LP. I would also add Mao's Madame Butterfly at Worlds 2016 for interpretation and artistry. Thanks to those who posted other performances because it gives me a good idea of other performances to watch (for the ones I haven't seen yet).

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Carolina's 2014 World SP.
Skating skills - 10
P/E - 10
CH - 10
IN - 10
TR - 8.5

Not a single move out of place. Everything is done to perfection. I can't imagine anyone showing off better skating skills than that. Programing wise, it's perfect.

Alex D

Record Breaker
This is very difficult,

but I would have given Rika Hongo a 10 at INT for her Riverdance last season at the Cup of China. She was so into it, I saw the original Riverdance multiple times on stage and she was the perfect match to them. Overall I think that receiving a 10 at INT is quite possible for some skaters on a perfect day, while TR might be the hardest?

amc987

On the Ice
The one (really two) that comes immediately to my mind is Carolina Kostner's SP at the 2014 Olympics/ Worlds.

Also, probably many of the times that Patrick Chan (e.g., 2013 Bompard LP) and Jeremy Abbott (2010 US Nationals LP) have skated perfect programs.

I may be missing a Takahashi/ Yuna Kim performance or two.

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi's Blues for Klook at Worlds 2012 is for me the epitome of 10 in performance. The way he captivated the audience can't be replicated by any other skater. His choreo and interpretation could be certainly worthy a 10 too.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Literally the only three programs that come to mind are:

Yuna's Send In the Clowns SP at Sochi (skating skills, performance/execution, choreography, interpretation)
Carolina's Ave Maria SP at 2014 Worlds (just... everything)
Tessa and Scott's Prince SP (choreography, interpretation)

I've said plenty of times here that 10 should really only be awarded, if at all, for the really, really, special ones that come around once in a long while. Those are the special ones to me.

Last edited:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Carolina Kostner - 2014 Olympics Team SP performance. My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw this beauty for the first time.

Tatsuki Machida - 2014 Worlds SP -- Absolutely sublime performance to "East of Eden."