2023 JGP Osaka Women's Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP Osaka Women's Free Skate

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The jumps weren't perfect but I love this program and the dress. Ikura has such good control of her limbs and movement. She skates with a senior-level elegance and posture.

edit: no wonder I loved the program, it's Cathy Reed's work and I adore a lot of her programs
Cathy Reed choreographed Ikura’s Short Program. Free was choreographed by
Kaitlyn Weaver.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Individual videos not found yet...but can be found in the overall event file
26 Mia Kalin USA FS
34 Yo TAKAGI JPN FS
35 Ikura KUSHIDA JPN FS

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Actually I just found out as well that Carina Chen got a JGP medal for Taiwan back in the 2000. So Yu-Feng is not the first ever, but still the first in 23 years is impressive :clap:
I couldn't locate much info about Carina. But I suspect that she might be trained overseas. The Taipei Arena (with the Iceland as the sub-rink) opened in 2005. Before that time point, there was no competition-size ice rink in Taipei, IIRC.

But Yu-Feng, just like Tze-han (Anna) and Yu-hsiang, is locally trained and by local coach. They may have short-term trainings overseas during school breaks (Anna at Cricket Club in Canada, and Yu-Feng in Beijing during Covid), but the training bases are still in Taiwan.

I think the huge progress of Yu-Feng and Yu-hsiang at Jr. level has been due to the opening of a second competition-size in Taipei (not the original Iceland, but another new rink just opened this year).

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I couldn't locate much info about Carina. But I suspect that she might be trained overseas. The Taipei Arena (with the Iceland as the sub-rink) opened in 2005. Before that time point, there was no competition-size ice rink in Taipei, IIRC.

But Yu-Feng, just like Tze-han (Anna) and Yu-hsiang, is locally trained and by local coach. They may have short-term trainings overseas during school breaks (Anna at Cricket Club in Canada, and Yu-Feng in Beijing during Covid), but the training bases are still in Taiwan.

I think the huge progress of Yu-Feng and Yu-hsiang at Jr. level has been due to the opening of a second competition-size in Taipei (not the original Iceland, but another new rink just opened this year).

Found Carina's ISU Bio:

https://results.isu.org/bios/isufs00004242.htm

She's from Illinois, and trained in Illinois and Michigan. So, your suspicions are correct. She's a product of the American system.

Nevertheless, it was a great achievement for her to win your first Junior GP medal. And the fact that it took so long for it to happen again proves it!

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Individual videos not found yet...but can be found in the overall event file
26 Mia Kalin USA FS
34 Yo TAKAGI JPN FS
35 Ikura KUSHIDA JPN FS
These individual videos are finally posted. Only David SHTEYNGART CAN is blocked.

Azikin

Medalist
I am still catching up on dance, but I couldn't resist checking the result for my new fav, Hana Bath. 4th in the free! If she wasn’t undervalued in the short, she would have been up there! Also, yay, I am super pleased with the medal for Taiwan!
She was amazing, I'm a new fan, too! :clap: