World Team Trophy - Day 3 | Page 49 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy - Day 3

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hello darkness, my old friend...

But this is really an amazing program and Vanessa's unitard is incredible, how does she even get into it?!

I am really liking her look this time too.... Bit less bling, spare, simple, clean and love love her hair!!! Crying b/c it is the last time for Silence but it goes out with a roar. :hap10:

thoakun

Final Flight
Wasn't Shizuka World Champion in 2004?
I didn't follow skating back then but she placed 9th at Worlds 2005, a fall from grace after winning the previous year and it acted as a motivation for her to continue instead of retiring. I watched the Japanese media coverage of her at the Olympics and didn't get the impression that she was a favorite. A lot of attention was also given to Miki. What I was trying to say is that Shizuka's track record at that time didn't scream gold medal.

Last edited:

lady_bee

Medalist
What I am most looking for today, redemption from T/M, ( she was so labored yesterday) , Gabby's big 3t-3t, clean skate from my future daughters in law, Mai and Wakaba (I have two boys of their age), and great kiss & cry reactions.

I saw everything I wanted today!!!
beautiful T/M, Gaby's spectacular jumps, amazing performances from Wakaba&Mai.So happy.

My memory is so short and I don't have enough time, so i write anything I remember right now.

I know many of you are wondering why team Japan's box were empty some times. I thought it was rude at first, but now I can imagine why they left.
I saw many people with binoculars which went to the direction of team boxes, every time someone appeared in the team Japan's box , even when somebody was performing on ice. I thought it was very annoying/rude, and maybe it was better to leave it as empty when there were no Japanese skater in the performing group, and let people focus on the ice.

Edit: so many typo:slink: I don't like posting from phone. excuse me.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Usually I'm not a fan of these two because Morgan's attitude but omg that was awesome!!!

Morgan is emotional, no doubt but keeps in bounds.... And, Vanessa is lighthearted, positive; she understands him completely... This is why they are SO good together!! Like fire and air....

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I didn't follow skating back then but she placed 9th at Worlds 2005, a fall from grace after winning the previous year and it acted as a motivation for her to continue instead of retiring. I watched the Japanese media coverage of her at the Olympics and didn't get the impression that she was a favorite. A lot of attention was also given to Miki. What I was trying to say is that Shizuka's track record at that time didn't scream gold medal.

And nothing showed that Stonikova could make it in 2014 either...

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
so we know S-K/K turned it down? Maybe due to Chris's father? Oh I thought it had to go to the next in line. Interesting. With all the faith US Figure Skating is showing in C/L they needed to show something different today. I really feel like a coach other than a parent is crucial. Just my opinion.

And maybe S-K/K turned it down because she was feeling so unwell in the days prior to Worlds that, in quite an unusual move, USFS flew Cain/LeDuc to Helsinki at the last minute in case they would have to skate instead. Really, at the end of the Worlds FS, Alexa looked like she nearly fainted. Big props to them for how well they did; I am extremely happy that they stayed home from this team event. I hope this helps them become fully healthy for next year and for the Olympics.

As for the "something different" that Cain/LeDuc "needed" to show: I don't know which other U.S.pairs you've seen in international competition this season, but what is "different" about them is that they have shown that they actually can do jumps and throws; in two programs, just one UR and no falls. Who else did that internationally this year?

Another poster described C/L as "experienced" pairs skaters who should have more advanced elements (despite being together less than a year); also blamed their coach/father. It should be remembered that for the past couple years, Cain hadn't skated pairs and LeDuc hadn't even competed because he was doing show skating on tiny cruise ship rinks. Yes, it does take more than 11 months to achieve a pairs connection, let alone top elements.

IMHO, Peter Cain instead should be commended for bringing them along at a solid, steady pace that has built a good foundation of skills. Yes, next season I will expect to see more speed, better spins and stronger elements. But I am so impressed at the way he has brought them along carefully and safely.

I see no reason why another U.S. pair should have been at this event. Sadly, D/F appear to be not close to competitive condition after her terrible injury; at Nationals and Worlds, I winced for her every time she attempted a jump or throw (yes, the lifts were gorgeous); her reconstructed knee does not bend. And Castelli/Tran? It's so disappointing that they STILL haven't jelled as a team. One of the best-ever pairs girls ... sigh.

And we can't ignore the C/T citizenship issues. It is entirely possible that Alexa's condition at Worlds means that she is still dealing with her health issues to the point that "their" Olympic spot will have to go elsewhere. It can't be C/T. D/F are still injured. Kayne/O'Shea are a mystery, due to injuries. Stellato/Bartholomay? Maybe.

Really, USFS can see the same situation that I do. Of course they are putting "all the faith" in Cain/LeDuc.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
And nothing showed that Stonikova could make it in 2014 either...

Honestly, I would be very, very surprised if the name of the Olympic Gold Medalist next year is not Medvedeva. Barring injury or ilness. If she is competing that day, she will win. Love her or hate her, she's the only skater who I'm confident that the Olympic Pressure won't get to.

thoakun

Final Flight
In hindsight, I quite like this format. You place as a team, including the lowest score. Med is ahead of the field, but Russia's #2 is behind Japan's #2. Everyone is supposed to get an equal amount. It'd be perfect if it's not so singles oriented, but then I just watched for free and the zanny atmosphere more than made up for it :biggrin:.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Honestly, I would be very, very surprised if the name of the Olympic Gold Medalist next year is not Medvedeva. Barring injury or ilness. If she is competing that day, she will win. Love her or hate her, she's the only skater who I'm confident that the Olympic Pressure won't get to.

I feel the exact same way. Unless something completely unexpected happens, I don't see another scenario. I have never been so 'confident' about a skater's possibility of winning the Olys. Ever.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Welp, to think that either Mai or Wakaba won't go to the Olympics, or both in the worst case scenario with this TES level is quite heartbreaking :dbana:.
I've had reservation about Mai's program the whole season but this outing is nothing short of brilliant.

Well they can both go but with healthy Satoko it's not going to be easy. There are also some who already see Marin there as some guarantee, it's too bold IMO.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I don't think that if Wakaba goes clean she will get 160+ lol.

This is already a joke. Welp, reminds me why I didn't bother watching women's event haha. :unsure:

And the new combined total score WR is 240+. What's the point of adding the SP+LP scores together and count it as new combined total SB/PBs too when it doesn't count in the competition itself? :dev2:

This competition and the scoring in it is so incredibly unfair for those who will never have the chance to compete at WTT. :giveup:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well they can both go but with healthy Satoko it's not going to be easy. There are also some who already see Marin there as some guarantee, it's too bold IMO.

I think Satoko and Marin are highly unlikely to be chosen both. If Satoko makes it, I guess it's either Mai or Wakaba.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
hi, I'm at the venue, already. I was hoping to watch men's Exbition practice, because I could watch ladies's practice yesterday. However, there ware only Shoma and Yuzuru on ice. Although I watched Yuzuru did his swan ex and steps from Prince with music, I am little disappointed. And how I can be so stupid, I left my binocular at hotel room so I couldn't watch Shoma copying Yuzuru's spin at the end of Prince.

What I am most looking for today, redemption from T/M, ( she was so labored yesterday) , Gabby's big 3t-3t, clean skate from my future daughters in law, Mai and Wakaba (I have two boys of their age), and great kiss & cry reactions.

I kept wondering if there was a way to see the practice sessions since I was there days 1 and 2. Did you just get in with the ticket you had or did you have to get separate tickets?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Amazing competition by Medvedeva! Lol, her protocol looks like she is an ice dance team. Nothing less than a +2 and 10.00's across the board for performance. Such a force!

And kudos to Mai and Wakaba! Too bad this wasn't Worlds because they'd surely get 3 spots. Lol at the PCS though - now they have higher PBs in the FS than Miyahara, lol. Yay Gabby for a strong showing too!

Also want to congratulate J/C for an awesome FS! Next season will be so exciting and I hope they bring it like they did here.

Tulipstar

Medalist
This event was not held in Russia, so obviously no 9home inflation for Medvedeva's Record LP Score.

This should be her best LP performance so far. Such an awesome competitor! The girls' competitions will be even more intense next season. Simply great!

I thought nothing could beat her World's, but this was amazing

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
--Did anyone predict Team Japan at the top of the podium?

I was expecting it.

WTT and Japan Open are two outstanding events but we already know that in these competitions japanese skaters are pushed, it's always been like that; in fairness there was a bit of love for everyone here, most of the skater received new PBs after all.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Kovtun ruined everything, Jesus...whyyy Max!?!?

It's really a pity that the Russian fed didn't give the spot to someone else who would have been more appreciative. Especially considering the way they treated Anna...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
True, but then look how Med only does combos with the toeloop, both Mai and Wakaba use the loop in their three jump combo. When you have all scores on papers, Mai and Wakaba have a higher BV. And with their execution today, I can't understand how they are so far behind Med in TES! It's frickin 6-7 points on TES only. It makes 0 sense

Transitions

Mai in particular is lacking a bit on that, and some of her jumps are clearly telegraphed.

Wakaba could be a lot closer but she's extremely inconsistent, so judges rarely go from zero to hero with PBs, you have to build it.