Winning Worlds on first attempt | Golden Skate

Winning Worlds on first attempt

Skate2Music

Rinkside
Opinions on those who win World the first time and their careers, are they typically legendary, one-hit wonders or somewhere in between?

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's very uncommon. Among women, I think only Baiul, Meissner, and Medvedeva accomplished the feat. Meissner was a one-hit wonder and Baiul somewhere in between because she also won an OGM. Maybe Evgenia will be legendary by the time she retires.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Opinions on those who win World the first time and their careers, are they typically legendary, one-hit wonders or somewhere in
between?

Do you mean in their first attempt? I think Oksana Baiul won the first time she went, didn't she. Tara and Michelle both won as teens but, they had been going before they won. Med is quite young, was 2016 her first try? The thing is.....None of them were "One Hit Wonders" I still think Med is going to be a legend and at her age, she may just catch Katerina Witt and win 2 OGM's.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Do you mean in their first attempt? I think Oksana Baiul won the first time she went, didn't she. Tara and Michelle both won as teens but, they had been going before they won. Med is quite young, was 2016 her first try?

It was her first senior try.
Before that, she had 2 junior worlds though, she got bronze on her first junior worlds, and a gold on her second.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Do you mean in their first attempt? I think Oksana Baiul won the first time she went, didn't she. Tara and Michelle both won as teens but, they had been going before they won. Med is quite young, was 2016 her first try? The thing is.....None of them were "One Hit Wonders" I still think Med is going to be a legend and at her age, she may just catch Katerina Witt and win 2 OGM's.

I'm looking forward to Med's possible coronation skate at the Olympics next year, whether she'll stay on for 2022, not sure?

Ender

Match Penalty
I don't think Med will get Witt's records. But we shall see.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't think Med will get Witt's records. But we shall see.

What??? :shocked: We should bet...;) I just have a feeling about Med. I don't know exactly what it is but, I really see great things for her and barring an injury, the sky's the limit.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I'm up in the air with her continuing, I'm very certain she'll win next year ( hopefully no injuries or meltdowns ) and will possibly take the gold and run and end up being a show skater for several years :)

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Dang! Even Dick Button and Sonja Henie didn't win Worlds on their first try.

You actually have to go back pretty far to find skaters that won Worlds on their first try. The only people I found so far were Gilbert Fuchs (1896), Henning Grenander (1898), Gösta Sandahl (1914), Herma Szabo (1922), Barbara Ann Scott (1947), Hans Gerschwiler (1947),
Westwood/Demmy (1952), Doreen Denny (1959) - Her partner Courtney Jones has already won 1 World Silver and 2 World Titles with June Markham), Romanova/Roman (1962), and Rodnina/Ulanov (1969).

This was a fun figure skating history nerd-out! :yes: It looks like most legends either won silver/bronze at the their first worlds or were 5th-8th place.

Ender

Match Penalty
What??? :shocked: We should bet...;) I just have a feeling about Med. I don't know exactly what it is but, I really see great things for her and barring an injury, the sky's the limit.
this is not the time when you can jump 4-5 triples and pose like Witt. Some ladies are training quads and 3A. The level of the competition is much higher than before. I don't think it's wise for ladies' bodies to endure another 4 years circle until 2022.

moriel

Record Breaker
this is not the time when you can jump 4-5 triples and pose like Witt. Some ladies are training quads and 3A. The level of the competition is much higher than before. I don't think it's wise for ladies' bodies to endure another 4 years circle until 2022.

Well, the training is still training. We still need to see:
- how many of them will able to do those jumps in competition
- without messing up everything else big time
- consistently (because well, one can do a great program with quad once a season, and then Med wins all the other competitions)
- have the PCs to compete with Med - she actually has quite a high TES due to backloading and GOE (at worlds 2017, she had a 1 point lead in TES in SP, and 8 point lead in FS - thats actually a whole extra 3A by itself). Even considering worlds 2017 wasnt very good for ladies, still a lady would need to do a quad / 3A, nail everything else, and get some GOOD PCs to beat Medvedeva. For instance, Liza, even with 3A in short and 3A in free and in top form wouldnt be a competiton.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

This is a good point. The top women in the figures era spent a lot of their training time on figures, which is undoubtably less punishing on the body than training triples. I can't think of any top women whose careers spanned multiple Olympic cycles that didn't have to deal with illness of injuries; Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya, Kim, and Asada all dealt with various issues. (I'm not sure about Ando or Kostner, though). Furthermore, to win now you almost have to be the best technically, whereas you could build a nice lead with the figures that made it difficult for strong jumpers to catch up.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Who could possibly forget Sanders's Academy Award winning performance in All About Eve. "You're maudlin and full of self-pity. You're magnificent."

Oh wait. Wrong Sanders. Oops!

;)

That was AWESOME...................................:laugh2::cheer2::dance2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Kimmie M is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Last edited: