Skating Pet Peeves & Moves You Dislike | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skating Pet Peeves & Moves You Dislike

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My pet peeve is poor stroking. One of my favorite skaters shows how it should be done along with some forgotten moves - note the skid spiral at 2:58 and the running sitspin, beautiful spread eagle. Uncle Dick approved!

Erik Larsen 1989 US Nationals https://youtu.be/4TFfhYYLIFs

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
My pet peeve is poor stroking. One of my favorite skaters shows how it should be done along with some forgotten moves - note the skid spiral at 2:58 and the running sitspin, beautiful spread eagle. Uncle Dick approved!

Erik Larsen 1989 US Nationals https://youtu.be/4TFfhYYLIFs

I have a stupid question: what is 'stroking'? I don't know what I'm meant to be looking at... or how to tell if it's good or not... I heard somewhere that it's part of basic skating but I don't know what that means :slink:
The skid spiral entry was very cool, I must say :luv17: And the spreadeagles just gorgeous!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a stupid question: what is 'stroking'? I don't know what I'm meant to be looking at... or how to tell if it's good or not... I heard somewhere that it's part of basic skating but I don't know what that means :slink:

Crossovers. They should be smooth without a pumping motion. When done properly the skater draws speed seemingly without much effort.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Neverending 1-minute long step sequences that have no other purpose than to earn that level 4! They are long, boring and have nothing to do with the music. Unfortunately, that seems to be the majority of step sequnces these days.

ILUSION AS DIFFICULT ENTRY IN THE LAYBACK SPIN. LET IT END. I know majority probably don't mind, but I do, since it's so unoriginal and everyone does it. It's even worse when the ilusion is badly executed. Also, I miss when men used to do ACTUAL difficult entries to a spin, these crazy turns and steps but now many of them just don't bother and do the stupid ilusion. I don't mind the ilusion for some reason as much in men, but it's starting to get on my nerves as well.

Speaking of layback spins, I hate how the classical layback position has basically died. Almost no one does it anymore. These days it's all about the Biellmans and level 4! When Mirai stopped doing the classic layback in competition, my heart sunk.

The next one actually bothers me because it doesn't exist anymore. The spiral sequences. They weren't the best and were too long and repetitive, but most of time I still liked to look at the spirals. I hate how the spirals are basically dead at this point. They are a part of this sport, they should be brought back.

Y spins where the skater arches back to get more flexibility. Evgenia does it nowadays (although she did a MUCH better version of the spin at Euros), Karen as well and Kanako used to it and I hate it, it looks badly and it's a way to more the skater looks more flexible when it's still ugly.

Long and laboured pair spins. Ice dancers actually do the pair spins much better! They are shorter and faster and better executed. Some of the pair spins in pair are a nightmare. They are so long badly done, and so much time is wasted, while that time could have been used a meaningful choreo. V/T spin started annoying me at their last season, but Dušková/Bidař pair spin is the most horrid one I have seen. One of the changes of position looks like a change of foot, but then is the actual change of foot and the spin is so long and ugly! - https://youtu.be/8X3czpGMX7M?t=2m49s Btw, the spin takes 25 seconds. SO LONG. WHY, JUST WHY.

There are more obvious thing like butt spins, half loops and bad technique on jumps but these were mentioned more than enough.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Neverending 1-minute long step sequences that have no other purpose than to earn that level 4! They are long, boring and have nothing to do with the music. Unfortunately, that seems to be the majority of step sequnces these days.

ILUSION AS DIFFICULT ENTRY IN THE LAYBACK SPIN. LET IT END. I know majority probably don't mind, but I do, since it's so unoriginal and everyone does it. It's even worse when the ilusion is badly executed. Also, I miss when men used to do ACTUAL difficult entries to a spin, these crazy turns and steps but now many of them just don't bother and do the stupid ilusion. I don't mind the ilusion for some reason as much in men, but it's starting to get on my nerves as well.

Speaking of layback spins, I hate how the classical layback position has basically died. Almost no one does it anymore. These days it's all about the Biellmans and level 4! When Mirai stopped doing the classic layback in competition, my heart sunk.

The next one actually bothers me because it doesn't exist anymore. The spiral sequences. They weren't the best and were too long and repetitive, but most of time I still liked to look at the spirals. I hate how the spirals are basically dead at this point. They are a part of this sport, they should be brought back.

Y spins where the skater arches back to get more flexibility. Evgenia does it nowadays (although she did a MUCH better version of the spin at Euros), Karen as well and Kanako used to it and I hate it, it looks badly and it's a way to more the skater looks more flexible when it's still ugly.

Long and laboured pair spins. Ice dancers actually do the pair spins much better! They are shorter and faster and better executed. Some of the pair spins in pair are a nightmare. They are so long badly done, and so much time is wasted, while that time could have been used a meaningful choreo. V/T spin started annoying me at their last season, but Dušková/Bidař pair spin is the most horrid one I have seen. One of the changes of position looks like a change of foot, but then is the actual change of foot and the spin is so long and ugly! - https://youtu.be/8X3czpGMX7M?t=2m49s Btw, the spin takes 25 seconds. SO LONG. WHY, JUST WHY.

There are more obvious thing like butt spins, half loops and bad technique on jumps but these were mentioned more than enough.

I hate them! With the top skaters I like step sequences, it looks smooth/effortless/simply good and some of the best skaters can even actually perform and go with the music during their StSq (e.g. Mao Asada). But then with the skaters who does not have such high overall quality of their skating it is not so good. It looks slow, they have to concentrate to get the levels and you can see how much effort they give into it. And yes I agree with you, it is neverending!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I also miss well done classic laybacks, camels ,sitspins and spirals. The higher number of revolutions was also the indication of good quality also.

Jezabel

Rinkside
I can't stand thinking "would any other music fit this program?" and I'm afraid a lot of times the answer is yes 😑
(also butt spin, blink-of-an-eye Ina Bauers and micro-heart-attack half loops)

mrrice

Record Breaker
:thank: ...I feel even dumber knowing the answer :laugh::slink:

Watch Patrick Chan......He generates a ton of speed during his crossovers.......If you want to see spectacular, timeless crossovers. Watch Todd Eldredge from Worlds in 1996. Or Plushy from 2001......Spectacular!!!!

Here's Todd from 1996...He Wins Worlds......:bow:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFurTW8OHxM

This is Plushy's SP from 2001.....His interview is so cute......This cemented my love for him.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQo4mLyGsNE

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
When you think a lady is gonna start holding onto a beautiful spiral but it’s only for 3 seconds, especially when a spiral sequence would go well with the music and program.

I can't even call them spirals. I miss real spirals.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I hate hate hate hate drawn out overly complicated and pretentious foot sequences.They are boring and can sometimes break the program. There are some who can do high level sequences and do them well...

Butt spins should be banned once and for all. There is nothing beautiful about them.

I agree about missing spiral sequences... they are the most iconic aspect of skating... and they have been done away for what? Long awkward skating on one foot with awkward arms?

JumpinJava

Rinkside
I respect Gabby Daleman as a skater, but at the end of her SP at nationals this year, she clapped her hands together... like the OP said, similarly to fist pumping, it just looks trashy and unpolished (especially for an Olympic athlete). :roll5:
Like many other people, I think "butt spins" or A-frames are just weird!!
Getting out of character or looking lackluster during transitional crossovers in programs (Alexei Bychenko comes to mind).
Being a bad sport is a huge one, too! Just be nice :yahoo:
Skaters not getting called for edge violations or underrotations!!!
Severe telegraphing
Inappropriate costumes or unnecessarily sexy choreography
Landing positions that are not held or not attempted to be held on to
Bad attitude in Kiss & Cry (Ashley Wagner...)
Bent spinning leg in Biellmanns :scratch2:

Last edited:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Why do dudes always run their hands thru their hair? Lolz.

I don't like the overuse of the faking movement of hand like to flat their hair either. Jason abuse this movement, but a lot of woman use it also a lot when they want to look sexy or something.

winky97

Medalist
I hate all the heavy backloading and the abuse of the tano/Rippon jumps. I hate the Illusion spin to

ejnsofi

Final Flight
* Badly done illusion spin. Actually skaters should get some license or permission to do illusion spin. As much as I love Laurine her illusion in Experience program is just awful :disapp:

* Ugly spin positions. To butt spin (ban it isu pls) I personally add needle Biellmann. It looks painful not pretty. Give me teardrop shape anytime but hyperextended? Ygh :palmf:

* Weaving hands and slow skating as "artistry". Generally for some reason for some fans the only acceptable artistry are keeping arms in the same position for the whole program and slow skating. Personally I prefer more powerful programs but I also think what we find as artistically pleasant is really individual.

* Helicopter tanos

* Jump combinations -2A

* "Balletic" programs. Swan lake should be banned... Almost all programs are painful to watch

* Remixed warhorses. Normal Carmen is bad. Techno Carmen is even worse