Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 207 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Camille1409

On the Ice
I was watching "JOclub" cause martin was there and then suddenly they talked about the closing ceremony, he explained that usually it's gold medalist like him but he did twice already so he tought with other that it should be...(my heart was racing so fast) : "gabriella papadakis and guillaume cizeron". i don't remember what he said after i went here and saw that you published it 2 hours ago!! :)
hope francetv will publish the video later.

so happy!!!:love:

he explained to the guy on his right how the flag bearer is usually choose. And as he already had the chance to hold the flag at sochi closing ceremony he want someone else to do it. So after few talkings with french team officials they chose Gaby. Especially because it's the first french medal on ice since 16 years and because "we were all thrilled by their performance"

AliAle

On the Ice
It's not Scott's MO AT ALL. If anything, it seems he thought PC were overscored in the SD.

I'm not saying this to dredge up bad feelings about VM, but those are his words.

Anyway, thanks for this lovely thread. It has soothed my feelings this week. Can't wait til Worlds!

You know what? I take back saying V/M are being sportive enough. It's one thing to not acknowledge the dress debacle as having been in your favor, another entirely to passively complain about scoring, especially since you've won. I should've remembered the passive aggressive attitude after Sochi and the reason why I always favored D/W as people, if not as skaters.

As for the good news, so happy that the entire French team are gathered in support around them and Gaby especially. She's such an endearing character, goofy, smart & strong, beautiful in and out <3!

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
OK, my guess is that they will get some kind of medal of honour for the way they handled the SD in that horrible situation.
The bets are open.

9 PM in Europe is 1.30 AM here, so I'm going to see it only tomorrow morning. :(

Edit: Having given it some thought, the fact that Alain gave the time as UK time my guess now is that it has something to do with Christopher Dean.

How many more guesses am I allowed?

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
I do hope that this is going to be something really really special after such an announcement, Alain!

I must say that I was very underwhelmed by the sensational changes to their programs that Didier Gailhaget had announced. Unless he meant a malfunctioning dress. That surely was a shock and a sensation, only not in the way I had hoped.

Praying now they get something really really soothing and special. They so tremendously deserve it.

Bcash

Final Flight
Just saw Misha Ge's Instagram post about P/C, right after the FD. How nice. The only Ice Dancers he posted about.

Bcash

Final Flight
This one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfZ7uEbBzTQ/?taken-by=mishage8 ? What does he mean with 30 seconds of silence??

That they were stunned by the sheer beauty? TBH I thought the crowd in Korea was a little "basic" and didn't really get P/C's poetry. Anyway it seems that serious dance people all love them. I recently had a convo with the editor of a reputable dance magazine and he said he would've given the Gold to P/C.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
After being flag bearers with Martin Fourcade (quadruple olympic champion) for France at the Olympic closing ceremony, Gabriella and Guillaume will be honoured once again... We have some fantastic news about G&G which will be announced tomorrow 8pm UK time (or 9pm CET time)... It's quite incredible... Stay tuned...

Nice that I'll have good news to look forward to when I wake up tomorrow! :) And I'm thrilled that Gabi has been given the honour of being flag-bearer for France at the Closing Ceremony. I wasn't planning to watch, but I'll be tuning in tonight after all to see her.

floatingworld

On the Ice
That they were stunned by the sheer beauty? TBH I thought the crowd in Korea was a little "basic" and didn't really get P/C's poetry. Anyway it seems that serious dance people all love them. I recently had a convo with the editor of a reputable dance magazine and he said he would've given the Gold to P/C.
World championship audiences tend to be more knowledgeable and sophisticated than Olympic audiences. I have friends who are watching figure skating now only because it is the Olympics. They are being introduced to P/C and other skaters only now. The Olympics audiences are easily drawn to
less sophisticated programs, I suppose.

MelDee

Final Flight
Edit: Having given it some thought, the fact that Alain gave the time as UK time my guess now is that it has something to do with Christopher Dean.

UK, Christopher Dean... are PapCiz doing Dancing on Ice next Sunday? :biggrin:

On a serious note, it'd be great if the announcement concerned them getting a sponsor.

icetigger

On the Ice
UK, Christopher Dean... are PapCiz doing Dancing on Ice next Sunday? :biggrin:

On a serious note, it'd be great if the announcement concerned them getting a sponsor.

I used to work with someone who whenever he got praise used to say "Don't clap; throw money!" I feel the same. However there is one honour they could get (non-monetary) that I think would be just as great and appropriate........

alain06fr

On the Ice
World championship audiences tend to be more knowledgeable and sophisticated than Olympic audiences. I have friends who are watching figure skating now only because it is the Olympics. They are being introduced to P/C and other skaters only now. The Olympics audiences are easily drawn to
less sophisticated programs, I suppose.

Honestly speaking, the Olympics are dying slowly but surely...

As we know, no one wants to organise them except Asian countries. After Pyeongchang, it will be Beijing simply because the alternate choice was just impossible! Ski resorts are 350 kms far from Beijing as I understand and even these ones are not known for being suitable for Winter Games. Apart from Japan, another Asian country, there's no serious candidates for the 2026 Winter Games. Innsbrück, which already organized the WG and has an almost complete sports infrastructure to organize them again gave up to apply to be candidate for 2026 after a local referendum where people say 'No". Even Vancouver is far from being enthusiastic as a poll may be organised there as well and everyone know people will vote against.

As for Pyeongchang 2018, have you seen the stands for the alpine skiing competitions planned for 8000 spectators and 90% empty/ With only 600 people seating in the front, 80% of them being other Athletes coming to support their teams or simply journalists...
Same for the rink, during both SD and FD, the majority of seats were filled by journalists or athletes who came to support their national team members.
Another big issue is the price of the seats which is totally extravagant.
And so on....

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

I was so surprised at the crowd and not just for P/C. 2 Ice Dance teams got loud applause : V/M and the Shibs, and they are the ones that have the biggest fanbase in Korea (V/M for Touring along with Yuna and Shibs with their work in Korea with children and YouTube channel).

But the rest ? Usually Anna&Luca get massive applause wherever they are, because it's Anna&Luca, you don't have to know them, they could get a 10.00 in performance. B/S FD usually get great response. H/D's FD too and so on. Those teams along with P/C have at least one programs that can put the crowd on its feet without trying. And many more.

But the crowd was quite muted for a figure skating crowd, and not only in Ice Dance, sometimes for greats performances or great skaters you had to search for it. While people were saying that Sochi's was too wild, they were actually clapping for everyone (and loud). Vancouver too. That was surprised me this Games.

Sure that's not Russia, Canada, or Japan where figure skating is huge. But if the Games were in France, it would have been as wild even with not that many people, because we aren't afraid to lose our voice even for the biggest rivals. For example Tessa&Scott would have been celebrated no matter what (French figure skating fans love what they do anyway), no matter who the skaters is, it's a privilege to have all these athletes on home soil.

It was a bit more about fanbases than actual skating this time. Makes me think that the Korean figure skating fans were Yuna fans - I can't blame them, I'm one of them ! :biggrin:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, I haven't seen them on the Channel 7 broadcast, but the commentators did mention them when the French team walked in - the flag-bearers for all the nations came first, and then the athletes, and of course the focus was on the Australian flag-bearer here - and wonderfully, they did it without making a single reference to the costume malfunction. And they did show the French figure skaters. Morgan Cipres came in carrying Vanessa James in a pairs lift above his head, and then Sui and Han did the same thing coming in just behind them!

maya1985

On the Ice
I was so surprised at the crowd and not just for P/C. 2 Ice Dance teams got loud applause : V/M and the Shibs, and they are the ones that have the biggest fanbase in Korea (V/M for Touring along with Yuna and Shibs with their work in Korea with children and YouTube channel).

it seems to me that the North American athletes had come a lot in the rink ... It is an audience that sometimes does not even applaud (we see at one time the mother of Gabriella with a flag after the program , around her some people do not even applaud)
I am convinced that in Milan it will be another story:)

liapacco

Rinkside

But the rest ? Usually Anna&Luca get massive applause wherever they are, because it's Anna&Luca, you don't have to know them, they could get a 10.00 in performance. B/S FD usually get great response. H/D's FD too and so on. Those teams along with P/C have at least one programs that can put the crowd on its feet without trying. And many more.

But the crowd was quite muted for a figure skating crowd, and not only in Ice Dance, sometimes for greats performances or great skaters you had to search for it. While people were saying that Sochi's was too wild, they were actually clapping for everyone (and loud). Vancouver too. That was surprised me this Games.

Sure that's not Russia, Canada, or Japan where figure skating is huge. But if the Games were in France, it would have been as wild even with not that many people, because we aren't afraid to lose our voice even for the biggest rivals. For example Tessa&Scott would have been celebrated no matter what (French figure skating fans love what they do anyway), no matter who the skaters is, it's a privilege to have all these athletes on home soil.

It was a bit more about fanbases than actual skating this time. Makes me think that the Korean figure skating fans were Yuna fans - I can't blame them, I'm one of them ! :biggrin:

This is probably true, heh! As a Korean myself, I must admit that Koreans just don't pick up with sports interest that easily unless someone does something iconic like win World Championships (and is a likeable personality, like Yuna is) or take the recent win in women's curling for example - it was an extremely under the radar sport and nobody cared about it up till even weeks ago but just because the women's team suddenly made strides at the Olympics and became overnight memes, suddenly every other Korean was talking about curling and what was a good shot at the stones, like they knew the sport forever lol. Even for figure-skating, it was a sport that did not receive very much funding or attention in Korea in the past, which also explains why many Koreans view Yuna as more than an excellent skater, but as an inspiration to young skaters and the public for what she has done to lift the reputation of her sport among her people.

It's improving though, because the future of Korean figure skating looks bright with the younger ones like Cha Jun Hwan, Im Eun Soo, You Young and the like. Ice dance though, I think Koreans tend to revert more to foreign skaters, so it's definitely true that V/M and the Shibs have a huge fanbase in Korea. I've been keeping a lookout on Korean news sites for any news on Gaby and Guillaume, but apart from the sudden influx of articles after Gaby's wardrobe malfunction that basically just talked about the malfunction, the nipslip and how she said it was her worst nightmare coming true, there really wasn't that much more and that was pretty disappointing. There is however the occasional article about the beauty of their FD, which would describe the program as elegant. I also saw an article that called Gaby 'A positive and beautiful girl who doesn't falter', but yeah, every article brought up the whole wardrobe thing and didn't add that much value. I do believe that their FD was a good exposure for the audience as to how ice dance can truly be that ethereal and magical, though, just that the reactions were definitely muted what with V/M being the team with a stronger fanbase there.