After Marshall's, What impressions do you have of Sasha Cohen?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

After Marshall's, What impressions do you have of Sasha Cohen??

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree Red Dog ... no one is bashing Sasha. And I honestly saw today pretty much what I expected from her. She is an exquisite skater ... just not a very solid competitor. (JMHO, of course)
She was made for show skating, and I think could make quite a name for herself in something like SOI. Maybe she will go that route once she has satisfied her curiosity with acting and Hollywood.

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha had two doubles in her WSS program, one double-footed. She did one 2A and one 3S in her GBA program. If she had fallen, it WOULD have been a disaster, because she did the easiest jumps. Kimmie's programs had much more difficult technical content, and she had to do her programs back-to-back. Clearly, Sasha is not in competitive shape. If Sasha had had to do HERS back-to-back, she likely would have fallen in her second program.

Sasha says she is undecided about Nationals, but that's just for the public. The fact that she has no new programs tells the story. She has decided all right, and it is not in her best interest to skate in a competition she is nowhere near ready for.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kimmie's programs had much more difficult technical content, and she had to do her programs back-to-back. Clearly, Sasha is not in competitive shape. If Sasha had had to do HERS back-to-back, she likely would have fallen in her second program.

Well to be fair to Cohen, Kimmie fell, too (and she's in top competitive shape). Do you mean to say she would have fallen TWICE or something?

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha says she is undecided about Nationals, but that's just for the public. The fact that she has no new programs tells the story. She has decided all right, and it is not in her best interest to skate in a competition she is nowhere near ready for.

Actually, even if she WANTS to go to Nationals, I would advise her not to go. You really can't half-a** it at this level, especially with the competition she'd be led to face at Worlds. Look what happened when she put 50%-effort into Worlds after Olympics. Barely placed onto the podium in the weakest Worlds field in years (no offense to the roster). So I'd just take the year off, continue to skate in shows, and possibly a wannabe actress could turn into a real actress, or she can decide to skate shows, or maybe she can put 100% (or maybe even 110%) for the 2008 season and beyond.

Plus, if she does go to Nats she's gonna take up one Worlds spot that another aspiring and dedicated up-and-coming ladies skater would not get to have...

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I only saw her skate to GBA, I'm downloading WSS right now. I was SO stupid and I set my tape for 10:00 p.m. instead of a.m. Arrgh! I'm so mad at myself! Got home in time to see Johnny's Swan and Sasha's GBA. I thought Sasha was great. I thought she looked so relaxed out there...I was more impressed with the program here than at the spring cheesefest (of course the program has more mileage now and that shows.) I truly miss her skating while watching the Grand Prix this year. I have no idea if she'll be at Nationals...really either way won't surprise me. If she does compete I'll root her on, but I will be a bundle of nerves. If she doesn't compete, I'll still enjoy watching all the ladies (because I like them all in different ways), but I will miss Sasha. However, my nerves will stay intact! :biggrin:

76olympics

On the Ice
I thought Johnny and Sasha looked extremely happy and relaxed at this type of event: I think they are both made for show skating and there really isn't anything wrong about that, in my book. Sasha -without the eligible pressure to land the jumps- is fun to watch. It's only frustrating for me to watch them in those eligible events where they look pressured and unhappy. I think Sasha would be very happy to opt out of eligible skating IF there were enough pro /show opportunities. That's a very big IF given the current dearth of programming.

I found it really hard to watch them stand there as the "panel" delivered judgement even with the knowledge that there was "wine and cheese aplenty" at this "competition." Listening to Peter here made me appreciate his interviews at competitions more and I never did like those overmuch. Yuck!

( I liked Kimmie's first costume which hid the presence of the watch or watch-like band! I think Tanith needs to cut her bangs more or pin them back! I liked their tango, but they just don't give off a hot couple vibe to me; I like their fun -we are great buddies- programs more. I think they really sell those! John, please get alternate costume advice!)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Now I saw also Weir´s My Way and Lysacek´s Ave Maria (and I guess that is all that I´m going to download from this cheesefest).

I really liked Weir´s performance, he felt so strong and it was a great interpretation also. Also he seemed to have a lot of speed, more than in his freeskates at Worlds, LOL. Maybe he feels more at home in US cheesefests or shows generally, because in international competitions he seems to fail in the freeskate although the short programmes are great.

I also liked Lysacek´s strong performance, although it felt very familiar. Was the choreography that of his current short programme? US Nationals will be very interesting in men´s competition...

Fossi

Final Flight
Well to be fair to Cohen, Kimmie fell, too (and she's in top competitive shape). Do you mean to say she would have fallen TWICE or something?

Except taht Kimmie was actually landing triples to Cohen's doubles, and more of them, with back to back programs.
Kimmie may be in top competitive shape, but Cohen is releasing journal entries stating she has been training, and she has the advantage of not having a grueling GP series to compete in. She is well rested.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I actually disagreed with the panel about her GBA program. I thought there was nothing interesting or different about it at all ... just a collection of her flexibility moves (which granted, are pretty) ... just blah to me. I did think her WSS program had much better choreography.

And if she goes to Nats, I'll eat my hat! :no:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I think if Sasha goes to the Nationals, she will win. All she needs is to practice jumps. She is in shape and with the same exquisite abilities. Add jumps required, she will be unbeatable. Wow, have you ever seen such a beautiful styled skater before?

But if she hasn't decided yet at this moment, I doubt she will go. There are so many opportunities for her right now in other areas. It's hard to focus on this hard working, and nerve racking preparation for the Nationals.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I'm sure the USFSA is somewhat worried. Their most popular female is clearly not returning and the up and coming ladies don't seem to be catching the fans. Right now their most popular current skater is obviously Johnny Weir.:rofl:

Fossi

Final Flight
To be fair, Sasha has had all season to prepare for Nationals. She sat out the GP series and had pletny of time to decide. She has trained, wrote of having new programs, yes programs, so I don't know what excuses could be made for her. JMHO, I htink she thought she could stroll to Natls. with little training and win it big, but realizes now it'll be harder than she thought. IMO, Sasha is far from unbeatable. She thought Worlds would be an easy ride last year and look waht happened. I hope she learned from that, but after seeing her today on cheesefest I think she is resting on her laurels and the other girls have passed her by.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I think if Sasha goes to the Nationals, she will win. All she needs is to practice jumps. She is in shape and with the same exquisite abilities. Add jumps required, she will be unbeatable. Wow, have you ever seen such a beautiful styled skater before?

"All she needs is to practice jumps" ... well, even when she trains hardcore, she has trouble with the jumps. I can't see why that would change now.

Having said that, nothing would surprise me about the outcome if she decided to go. The ladies are pretty dismal right now.

euterpe

Medalist

If all she could manage was a 2A and a 3S, I don't think she's going to be able to get her jumps back in 6 weeks. She doesn't even have new programs. Having to learn two new programs AND try to get back the missing jumps is just about impossible. If she goes to Nationals and stumbles her way through her programs the way she did at Worlds, she could conceivably finish 3rd or even off the podium. She isn't going to risk that.

I thought Sasha skated beautifully in both programs, but they were not only 'show' skates but also SPs. I was hoping she would do a 4 minute job so I could check out an LP which has been her downfall in the past. Oh well......

I can imagine her winning the SP in Spokane. She is a very dynamic skater, and now after many years, is definitely a solid skater on the ice for the elements she does well. But these are risky times and will she go the route of 3x3 combos?

Unfortunately, both programs did not show me how competitive she is. How would the results come out between Sasha, Kimmie and Emily if judged by the CoP? I think she has enough to get on the US Nats podium unless Rachel Flatt tears down the house but then a 4th place would get anyone there into the Worlds.

The most important thing the cheesefest showed me was that Lysacek is very competitive and with a new found lyrical style - even better than the lyrical parts of his Carmen. Johnny was fine with the Saent Saens but his My Way irks me because I think the music was lifted from Katchaturians lyrical piece in Sparticus.

Since I don't believe phone-in favorites make for a competition, I go into the US Nats without any prediction at this time.

btw. Who softened up Peter. He was so gentleman like.

Joe

jennylovskt

Medalist
"All she needs is to practice jumps" ... well, even when she trains hardcore, she has trouble with the jumps. I can't see why that would change now.

Well, she has a great ability to win. She is far more better than Kimmie. Kimmie's programs and her skating need a lot of polishing. To control her nerves at the competition is a big issue for Sasha. I don't know what she could do to manage it.

In a way, she and Johnny are alike. They both are so talented and outstanding on ice, but could not skate up to their own abilities. (I mean in the competitions)

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Sasha's WSS was sort of flat, I thought, but I really thought her God Bless America was surprisingly lovely. Here's what I think: she will go to Nationals as a farewell. She appeared to be wiping away tears after she finished her GBA program at Marshall's. I think her plan is to skate at Nationals and do the GBA program as an emotional, barn-burner final eligible skate. ;)

millie

Medalist
It was a pleasure to see Sasha skating again and also, it would have been double the pleasure if Michelle had skated also. Figure skating will never be the same, if either one or both of them retires-both made skating interesting.:)

jennylovskt

Medalist
If all she could manage was a 2A and a 3S, I don't think she's going to be able to get her jumps back in 6 weeks. She doesn't even have new programs. Having to learn two new programs AND try to get back the missing jumps is just about impossible. If she goes to Nationals and stumbles her way through her programs the way she did at Worlds, she could conceivably finish 3rd or even off the podium. She isn't going to risk that.

Sasha doesn't need new programs. She could just use the programs from the last year. Although I don't like the recycled programs, there is no rules that people cannot do that.

Fossi

Final Flight
zzzzzzzzz. IMO, if Sasha wants to be competitive with the girls today she needs to reinvent herself-stat! She recycles programs too much. I don't think I could handle another season of Dark Eyes and R&J. Serisously folks, how many times has she used these programs?