2007 JGP Final | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2007 JGP Final

bekalc

Record Breaker
Looks like Rachel Flatt is the MOST reliable jumper among all American ladies.

Except some downgrades, I believe she has landed every jump for all the competitions she has participated in.

I don't know about that. Rachael didn't have a great showing at one of her JGP events.

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
I think it's all really beside the point. I can see how people might see this as a sign that Rachel might be a "contender" at Nationals, but I think it's really just a good example of how the new system works.

Even though Rachel had higher element scores than Mirai, if you look at the judges' marks, of the elements which received positive GOE points, Mirai's elements earned more. What I mean is, Mirai was downgraded on two jumps (and her spiral sequence was also called a level 3 and is udually a level 4 for her) and she still earned more bonus points than Rachel who seems to have skated pretty cleanly. Rachel is getting her elements done, but the quality clearly isn't as good as Mirai.

I think it shows the potential of Mirai in this program, not to mention she also left out her triple Salchow. She's been having a little trouble with her long program this year, but if she could put a good skate together, her score would probably be 110+.

I'm also surprised to see that her flip was downgraded, since I think that is probably her strongest jump.

Does anyone know if we'll ever get to see any videos from this event either?

oleada

Record Breaker
Local Polish TV will show something tomorrow. Hopefully, someone will catch it.

ISU's recap article is here:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

Some interesting stuff in it:
Krasilnikova and Bezmaternikh went for side-by-side triple toe loops (the only team to attempt a triple). She fell, but the jumps were fully rotated.
Rippon gives a lot of credit to Morozov for his improvement this year.
Gorshkova & Butikov have a new FD (different than the one they skated at their JGP events) to "Total Eclipse of the Heart". Nice for them that they skated so well with a new FD.
It's the first time there has been a sweep in both men and pairs.

Local Polish TV will show something tomorrow. Hopefully, someone will catch it.

ISU's recap article is here:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

Some interesting stuff in it:
Krasilnikova and Bezmaternikh went for side-by-side triple toe loops (the only team to attempt a triple). She fell, but the jumps were fully rotated.
Rippon gives a lot of credit to Morozov for his improvement this year.
Gorshkova & Butikov have a new FD (different than the one they skated at their JGP events) to "Total Eclipse of the Heart". Nice for them that they skated so well with a new FD.
It's the first time there has been a sweep in both men and pairs.
Was there any skating that was not Russian influenced? I saw Rippon about 2 years ago in Middle Atlantics with a Russian coach. I saw the potential in him almost immediately. He was on the way to being special and I believe she suggested Morozov to him. I think he would have done the same with any coach. He is serious about winning and does not need a shrink. And, of course, do not mention he is American especially with the great showing of Gachinsky.

But you are correct to imply that Russians really won the JGP. I don't think you want to mention Rachel and Mirai without Russian coaches. They produce such wonderful Lady skaters in Russia. Don't they?

Joe

oleada

Record Breaker
What are you talking about? I have never said that Russian won the JGP. Both the Russian and USA delegations did incredibly well. I'm happy for ALL the skaters that medaled. Please tell me where in that post did I say anything NOT mentioned in that article.

You are way misinterpreting my words. Go back and read my posts and actually comprehend what I am saying. If you go back and see who I was rooting for in the singles, it was Mirai and Adam.

(oh, and the fact that Morozov is Russian never even crossed my mind. I was thinking about how beneficial the coaching change has been)

I mentioned Gachinski is young. He is. What's so wrong about that?

Mirai is my favorite Junior lady and one of my favorite skaters at the moment. I am incredibly happy and excited that she did well, as well as Musademba and Nishino. I'm not overly fond of Flatt's skating but her achievements here were incredibly impressive.

As for the pairs - YOU asked if you had missed any posts. I replied. Since you raved about B/L in one of your posts, then I thought you would be exctied to find out they won.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I saw Rippon about 2 years ago in Middle Atlantics with a Russian coach. I saw the potential in him almost immediately. He was on the way to being special and I believe she suggested Morozov to him.
No, she didn't. Adam explained his coaching change in an online journal entry dated March 16, 2007 on his official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/journal/07-journal03162007.html

BTW, I first Adam Rippon skate at the juvenile level (lowest qualifying test./competition level in the USFS system) at a small club competition in March 2002, and he showed a natural skating talent at the age of 12. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US won 6 medals, Russia 5. The lone non-US, non-Russian medal was the bronze in Ladies to Japan's Nishino.

US:
2 Golds (Men, Ladies)
3 Silvers (Men, Ladies, Dance)
1 Bronze (Men)

Russia:
2 Golds (Pairs, Dance)
1 Silver (Pairs)
2 Bronze (Pairs, Dance)

oxade21

Match Penalty
Is this 70s again? What's with Russian/US wars around here?
You people need to cool it.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Is this 70s again? What's with Russian/US wars around here?
You people need to cool it.

I know. This Russia-US thing isn't too good for the sport. Just think, Gordeeva and Grinkov received only one standing ovation in the US during their entire career. That's quite tragic, isn't it?

oxade21

Match Penalty
I know. This Russia-US thing isn't too good for the sport. Just think, Gordeeva and Grinkov received only one standing ovation in the US during their entire career. That's quite tragic, isn't it?

I don't know about G/G getting standing ovation but they are more popular in US than they are in Russia.
Anyway, it is shame we have to resort to nationalistic slurs instead of enjoying the skaters. I mean what has Gachinskiy done to be brought into this? His first ever Grand Prix and he is in the final. yet we are not happy:(
It is great that US single skating future looking bright. Same goes for Russian pairs and dance junior field. We should be happy to see such a great crop of skaters growing.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
I don't know about G/G getting standing ovation but they are more popular in US than they are in Russia.
Anyway, it is shame we have to resort to nationalistic slurs instead of enjoying the skaters. I mean what has Gachinskiy done to be brought into this? His first ever Grand Prix and he is in the final. yet we are not happy:(
It is great that US single skating future looking bright. Same goes for Russian pairs and dance junior field. We should be happy to see such a great crop of skaters growing.

I think unfortunately, G & G became more popular after Sergei's death. Katia talked once in an interview before his death about how they would love to get a standing ovation from the American audience, and lamented that they had only have one before then. I think she also said in the same interview that it's harder for them as Russian skaters to win the audience's heart than it is for Scott Hamilton and Kurt Browning for instance.

I agree the unnecessesary thing about posts concerning the prowess of the US and Russia isn't good and it is not sportsmanship. When there is too much gushing about a particular nationality it provokes retorts. So keeping the gushes to the skaters rather than the nationalities will be ending this stupidity.

Implying that G&G didn't get the numerous ovations they anticipated, were you saying something about the American public?

Joe

No, she didn't. Adam explained his coaching change in an online journal entry dated March 16, 2007 on his official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/journal/07-journal03162007.html

BTW, I first Adam Rippon skate at the juvenile level (lowest qualifying test./competition level in the USFS system) at a small club competition in March 2002, and he showed a natural skating talent at the age of 12. :)
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I met Adam and his coach at Middle Atlantics. She was so happy for him because he was the best in that entire competition in all categories. I was surprised he left her, and just imagined that she suggested it.

Joe

bekalc

Record Breaker
Good for Adam for making the change. It takes a lot of guts, and Morosov really is a good coach. (Say what you will about him personally) He was a big part of Yagudin's team. He did wonders for Shiz, and well then Miki and Dai!

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree the unnecessesary thing about posts concerning the prowess of the US and Russia isn't good and it is not sportsmanship. When there is too much gushing about a particular nationality it provokes retorts. So keeping the gushes to the skaters rather than the nationalities will be ending this stupidity.

Except there wasn't any unnecessary gushing about any nationality.

Whatever.

Congrats to the medalists. That's what matters here.

I don't know about that. Rachael didn't have a great showing at one of her JGP events.
At the Germany event Rachael had four triples downgraded, including both jumps of her 3/3 combo, and she also popped a double Axel to a single (she still finished second).

Still, as this contest showed, her tech content is right up there with the best. Now she needs to bring the PCSs up to the same level. She is still getting scores in the fives, for a clean, technically packed program.

Nonetheless, I think she has a great shot at the podium at Nationals

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the Germany event Rachael had four triples downgraded, including both jumps of her 3/3 combo, and she also popped a double Axel to a single (she still finished second).

Still, as this contest showed, her tech content is right up there with the best. Now she needs to bring the PCSs up to the same level. She is still getting scores in the fives, for a clean, technically packed program.

Nonetheless, I think she has a great shot at the podium at Nationals

Rachael has never had a habit of cheating her triples except for the second triples in her 3/3, and there has been some speculation that Rachael (who was the overwhelming favorite going into JGP Germany) was subjected to unusually stringent scrutiny by the tech team so that the German girl, the audience favorite, would have a chance to win the competition. And that is exactly what happened.

It may very well be that the "underrotations" were less than a quarter under and therefore technically sound.

^ I try to give technical crews and judges' panels the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. The German girl (Sarah Hecken) did a nice job, landing all of her jumps.

Still, it looked strange in the protocols because Hecken only has three jumps (double Axel, Salchow, and toe). She did a total of 3 double Axels, two triple Salchows, 3 triple toes, and 4 double toes.

Rachel did 3S, 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 1A, 3F+2T+2Lo -- and lost!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
^ I try to give technical crews and judges' panels the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. The German girl (Sarah Hecken) did a nice job, landing all of her jumps.

Still, it looked strange in the protocols because Hecken only has three jumps (double Axel, Salchow, and toe). She did a total of 3 double Axels, two triple Salchows, 3 triple toes, and 4 double toes.
Two triple toes. :) Hecken's FS jump layout was: 2A, 3T, 2A, 3S, 3S+2T, 3T+2T+2T, 2A+2T.

Back to the JGP Final...

Team USA photos are in Ice Network's gallery titled "Backstage at the JGP Final" (direct link not allowed to be posted here).

Link to a small photo of the ladies' podium published in Japan's "Chunichi Sports": http://www.chunichi.co.jp/s/chuspo/article/2007120901000035.html

oleada

Record Breaker
I've heard that Hecken has landed the harder triples in local competitions. Maybe she decided to play it safe because the caller was being quite strict.