2022 Worlds: Women's FS - Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Worlds: Women's FS - Thoughts?

VickB

On the Ice
I am still watching on YouTube (it has remote control features much better than CBC)...

Ekaterina RYABOVA broke down in tears from country of Azerbaijan.

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Are we allowed to talk about the banning of Russian skaters anywhere here? I do not see any threads.
Thank you all, and have a great weekend! ⛸️❤️⛸️

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
JFS has done Mai Mihara wrong and their favoritism decision almost cost them 3 spots.
I know. Had the Russians competed here, Japan’s decision not to put Mai would have cost them the three spots. That is why it is important to pick athletes based on resume. I have a feeling Mai would had nabbed a bronze medal here, if not silver. Mai is so consistent.

VickB

On the Ice
Are we allowed to talk about the banning of Russian skaters anywhere here? I do not see any threads.
Thank you all, and have a great weekend! ⛸️❤️⛸️

So major Tennis WTA and ATP are still allowing the Russian stars to compete.. Only thing they did is to ban the team events..

The ISU has done incredible Job here at Worlds... very proud of ISU ...

We thank ISU ...💘

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I watched the event ... finally.

Maddie. Very unlucky. A couple spots away from top ten... pretty much tied with 3 skaters who didn't do better than her in the LP but had a bit of an edge from the SP. Unfortunate. At the same time, she has it in her to do better ! Her coach wasn't with her as she tested positive for covid. Maybe that didn't help. Next year !

Very sad for Wakaba but she said she was injured.

I LOVED the top 3.
Bravo to Alysa. I may have preferred another skater there but she deserved her podium with a strong skate.
Loena fought through this and her quality shone through !
Kaori : so amazing ! Bravo ! Even more exciting that at the O games.

2018 : Alina won O games Kaetlyn won bronze , Kaetlyn won worlds
2022 : Anna won O games, Kaori won bronze, Kaori won worlds

:)

gotoschool

Medalist
In a statistical flashback to 2016 Worlds when my favorite women's LP by Mao Asada was heavily deflated to 7th place, my favorite one this year by Haein Lee was also ridiculously deflated down to 7th place. Haein had graceful fluidity, smooth speed, beautiful flow, crisp and buttery smooth edging and dramatic expression with marvelous musicality with the most effective and surprising use of screams during a jump sequence I have seen. My next favorite LP was by Loeona Hendrix whose performance quality, speed and fluid body movement attuned to the music was really engaging. Her joyful breakdown in the kiss and cry was a big surprise and created a special moment of emotional resonance. The stunning contrast in treatment by the JSF of two skaters from the same coach who had the top two international scoring averages going into this competition, Kaori Sakamoto and Mai Mihara, indicate the greatest case of targeted discrimination against a skater by their own federation I have ever seen and the fact that Kaori and Mai are such close friends and that Japan almost lost three places and would have lost them if the Russians had competed, makes the injustice even more egregious and incompetent given Mai's consistency fabulous artistry and great skating. I enjoy Kaori, Wakaba and Mana's performances and I felt a lot of sympathy for Wakaba and Mana sensing their disappointment in the kiss and cry, so this is not sour grapes or a reflection on them since they didn't make the decision, as for Kaori, her consistency and speed this season have been remarkable.

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This is the first time since 2014 I watched a Women event from beginning till the end and you known what... It was worth it 😍

Having said that, there was no surprise winner. Kaori's consistency has been rock-solid this season so I was unable to pretend that I didn't know who will win. But there was one hell of a battle for the podium and truly wonderful skating (oh, Loena😍)!

We had four 3A attempts, two of them worked, one of which actually gave skater a medal. Russians or no Russians, Ulta-Cs are here to stay. I still have some mixed feelings because I can't deny that unbaked Ultra-Cs can ruin a program but at the same time oh, they can add spice to the competition!

And now, this is truly interesting where it all will take us next year.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I watched the woman's event and actually enjoyed it. I usually don't because it feels there is a fixed outcome but definitely not this time. It felt like a competition, and so it should! Even in the lower ranks there were beautiful skates to be seen, even though a few women had tired legs. The season was long. But what a wonderful climax! I was sorry for Young You, Mariah Bell (who had a great skate all the same), Wakaba Higuchi and Madeline Schizas (it would have been nice to see her in the top 10) but it was a lovely podium. I felt happy for Nicole Schott (although her 14th place in the FS was a bit low), Anastasiia Gubanova and the top 3. I am a big fan of Loena's and she made me cry because of her great skate (with an injury!) and her wonderful reactions. Kaori was the best and won the gold deservedly (in my view).

Fluture

Record Breaker
It was indeed!!!

I think for me it made me realise how conditioned I was becoming to the previous toxicity and drama. I just learned to accept stuff and make excuses over time.
This, so much this! Over the past few years, I kept recognizing the sport I fell in love with less and less. Well, yesterday showed me that it's still there, buried underneath all the scandals and drama. It was such a refreshing competition and one that I'll gladly rewatch again and again.

First off: The podium just makes me happy. Seeing all three women so joyful has been a long time coming and I kept smiling throughout the entire medal ceremony. No tears (well, only happy ones!), no breakdowns, no forlorn looks or screams of "I'll never go onto the ice again!!" This happens when you have women who truly enjoy their sport and aren't conditioned to think that everything below a gold is a complete failure.

Kaori: Deserving World Champion and I won't hear otherwise. Her speed, her flow, those edges … incredible. Yes, she was overscored but in the end, the gold medal hangs around the correct neck.

Loena: I was so worried for her and thought she possibly couldn't pull it off with her injury. Well, turns out I was wrong to doubt her. Probably my favorite moment of this competition - this is how you earn a Worlds medal. And the first medal for Belgium since 1948 and the first ever in singles as well! History made.

Alysa: She went through so much this season that this medal feels very deserved. Yes, she's still not my favorite skater and she has a lot of growing up to do but she's only 16! I really hope she decides to stick around for a few more seasons so we get to see a grown, mature Alysa at the next Olympics.

I felt Mariah was hugely overscored for the technical content she put out but she didn't fall and the judges liked it, so good for her.

You was a bit disappointing because I really wanted her to medal here but 5th is still a great result. And the Korean women now have three spots as well. FINALLY.

Gubanova keeps being underscored. That was a qualities FS with two great 3-3. 63 in PCS for her smooth and soulful skating is a joke. I hope her 6th place finish here will finally make the judges appreciate her because this is getting ridiculous.

Haein did so well too!! Redemption from the SP and I'm really happy about her 7th place here. After not making the Olympic team, she's still had a great second half of the season. I do think the judges were overly strict with her in some areas, though…

Katia was amazing as always, too, I'll just pretend I didn't see the fall on the 3Lo. I read she had a stomach ache before the FS and wasn't sure whether she'd compete, so considering that, it was a very commendable effort.

Another shout out to Olga, who I'm extremely proud of. With everything that's going on (the war, worrying about her family, illness) she performed really well and I hope she knows that.

Josefin, Kailani and Nicole were all very enjoyable as well.

Wakaba was the only sad moment and my heart still aches for her. I read she injured herself after the Olympics, so maybe she shouldn't even have been here… But I hope she knows she's still such an incredible skater with a huge fanbase that just adores her. The applause yesterday was heartwarming.

All in all, it was an amazing competition and I hope we'll see more of this (= skaters enjoying themselves and being genuinely happy on the podium, no matter who they are!) in the future.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those, like Phil Hersh, who need to point out that the Russian ladies weren't here, Kaori's score is cetainly competitive for the top three in any field. And people shouldn't forget that Alina Zagitova, after a flawless season and an OGM, came in 5th at Worlds 2018. The invincible Kamila Zalieva was fourth at the Olympics (I acknowledge all the pressure she was under, but sometimes champions have to deal with that). In a perfect world, Kamila wouldn't have been eligible for Worlds this year at all. The competition is what it is. Is anyone saying the men's winner only won because Nathan wasn't there? OK, Phil Hersh, probably.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I liked most about this Women's competition was the emphasis on technique and artistry! None of the performances bored me! This is what figure skating is supposed to be. An athlete performing to music.
Exactly and it's not like the jump content was from 1988 or even 2012 most of the ladies went for at least 3-3 combo's.

Zora

On the Ice
For those, like Phil Hersh, who need to point out that the Russian ladies weren't here, Kaori's score is cetainly competitive for the top three in any field. And people shouldn't forget that Alina Zagitova, after a flawless season and an OGM, came in 5th at Worlds 2018. The invincible Kamila Zalieva was fourth at the Olympics (I acknowledge all the pressure she was under, but sometimes champions have to deal with that). In a perfect world, Kamila wouldn't have been eligible for Worlds this year at all. The competition is what it is. Is anyone saying the men's winner only won because Nathan wasn't there? OK, Phil Hersh, probably.
Yes, her total score is higher than Shcherbakova's at worlds last year and comfortably higher than Tuktamysheva's and Trusova's score. Anything can happen in a competition.