2023 GP ESpoo: Women's thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 GP ESpoo: Women's thoughts?

rain

Record Breaker
Amber was awesome and I loved seeing her do so well. She has everything to be a star in the sport except, at this point, the consistency.

Starr Andrews's music choice for the FS is really, really unfortunate. If you're not skating well it's cringe (like it was here). I wish skaters would think about that when they choose music — what will this do if the program's not going well.

I like Kaori's programs now more than when she did the Matrix, Woman pieces. I think they're a step forward.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
My favourite part of this entire grand prix was Nella Pelkonen's beautiful and expressive Ina Bauer in her free skate.

What a comeback for Amber Glenn. I was getting more hopeful the more she flew up the standings and cheered when I realised she'd medalled (though i did feel bad for the other skaters).

It looks like Young You is slowly building back to her previous form, I'm so pleased for her. Chaeyeon Kim is so talented but the height and distance in the jumps is proving to be her Achilles heel.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
this is only true in the sense that the judges finally noticed Kaori's blunders. But the values of the PCS for different athletes raise serious doubts.

Amber Glenn received a PCS score of 63.15. Her program included lowering the level of one of the spins and 1A instead of 3A. Everything else is clean. And Rion Sumiyoshi made 4 serious mistakes, including falling and under-rotating, and made a mistake in spin - and her PCS was 62.26. The difference appears to be symbolic. Do such serious errors have almost no effect on the PCS?

Chaeyoung Kim lost to Amber Glenn, finishing fourth. At the same time, she received 61.81 PCS. All combinations were failed, a fall on a triple lutz, an under-rotation on 3S, a mistake on the spin - and all this again had almost no effect on the PCS.
Even with mistakes you can't argue with the quality of Rion's skating. With a clean skate no doubt she'd have gotten considerably higher PCS.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Even with mistakes you can't argue with the quality of Rion's skating. With a clean skate no doubt she'd have gotten considerably higher PCS.
PCS is not only about skating skills. Presentation and composition are also taken into account. When a skater falls, it deals a heavy blow to both composition and presentation. In addition, skating skills are not only about sliding.

Well, we also have a PCS, which was received by Rion Sumiyoshi at the Grand Prix de France - 63.26. Then Rion made a mistake on one of the spins and has underrotation by a quarter on 3Lz (-0.84 GOE). And on Espoo she has three complete underrotations, one quarter underrotation, mistake on spin and a fall - and the fall is not 4T, but 3Lo. And she got 62.26. Exactly one point less. So what does it look like? I think this is just ridiculous.

Please note that Kaori Sakamoto's PCS dropped by 5 points compared to Skate Canada - meanwhile, although she made a lot of mistakes, it was still less than Rion has, and at least she didn't fall.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
PCS is not only about skating skills. Presentation and composition are also taken into account. When a skater falls, it deals a heavy blow to both composition and presentation. In addition, skating skills are not only about sliding.

Well, we also have a PCS, which was received by Rion Sumiyoshi at the Grand Prix de France - 63.26. Then Rion made a mistake on one of the spins and has underrotation by a quarter on 3Lz (-0.84 GOE). And on Espoo she has three complete underrotations, one quarter underrotation, mistake on spin and a fall - and the fall is not 4T, but 3Lo. And she got 62.26. Exactly one point less. So what does it look like? I think this is just ridiculous.

Please note that Kaori Sakamoto's PCS dropped by 5 points compared to Skate Canada - meanwhile, although she made a lot of mistakes, it was still less than Rion has, and at least she didn't fall.
I'm aware of what PCS scoring involves. When i said quality of her skating, I wasn't referring just to the footwork/skating skills but overall strength of her presentation. I might not have been clear in how I worded it, granted.

I'm not sure why you're mentioning sliding, I didn't use that word.

Anyway judging on components is subjective, open to a degree of interpretation. Plus it's different sets of judges. Different people have different opinions.

rain

Record Breaker
Why not use actual Barbra Streisand instead of a cover where the singer is trying to mimic her (and failing)? Weird.
That's part of the problem. The other is the lyrics "being good just won't be good enough"? Really uncomfortable when you're making mistakes.