Ladies SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

R.D.

Record Breaker
At Nebelhorn she was, and she ended up winning the event beating Akiko Suzuki. She's been delivering at every event since Liberty, so it's looking very good for her.

What was her score?

This is a MUCH bigger event, anyway, so it's gonna be an interesting test for her. It might be beneficial for her to skate before Flatt or Zhang in the final group.

ETA: Does USFS still have to send the Champion to Worlds? I thought that rule was abolished but I'm getting conflicting reports.

feraina

Record Breaker
Articles are up already about the ladies' event.

Mirai Nagasu sounds really upset and pessimistic. She seems to be really hard on herself.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-spw-elliott-nagasu23-2009jan23,0,7198792.column

Mirai says in the press conference:
"I've been blaming everything on my ankle, but the truth is that I've been lazy," Nagasu said, her voice shaking. "With puberty and growing taller, I've gained some weight."

I can't imagine her being lazy, she's just been training through her ankle injury instead of letting herself rest. And yes, she's gained some weight, but she doesn't look out of shape or anything, she just has a more womanly body now.

Last edited:
ETA: Does USFS still have to send the Champion to Worlds? I thought that rule was abolished but I'm getting conflicting reports.
Yes, the U.S. champion goes to worlds. I think the rule that USFSA modified this year was for the 2010 Olympics, not worlds.

feraina

Record Breaker
By the way, if anyone is still puzzled by Ashley's low score: her 3-1 should receive an automatic -3 GOE because 3-2 or 2-3 is the required combination. Her 3Z should receive -GOE beause of the flutz. And her 2A should also have -GOE because of the hand down.

I'm a little surprised at her low PCS, considering how well she did on the GP's. But I haven't actually seen her SP, maybe it wasn't as good as earlier this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, the U.S. champion goes to worlds. I think the rule that USFSA modified this year was for the 2010 Olympics, not worlds.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Then folks should be a tad bit nervous that Czisny sits in 1st now. Still though, I don't think she will hold it.

And surprised to read that LA Times article. She really seemed to open up to her struggles in that piece. Stuff that normally stays behind closed doors. Wow, it must really be getting at her then.

feraina

Record Breaker
And surprised to read that LA Times article. She really seemed to open up to her struggles in that piece. Stuff that normally stays behind closed doors. Wow, it must really be getting at her then.

Not only her but also her coach. I think they will probably part their ways after National's unless Mirai somehow manages to make World's team. All the better, I always thought Mirai would be better off with another coach. She has so much natural jumping ability, it's just wrong that her jumps have been getting worse and worse.

I thought her getting inflated scores (with the UR's ignored) last year at National's did her double service: it prolonged her tutelege under Charlene Wong and it probably channeled their energy away from attending to her jumps.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Allisa was lovely. Tonight. But which Alissa will show up for LP [snip] ?

The one question everyone will be asking come skate time. I have no reason to think she will hold up. But then again, she's never been in this position in a comp as big as this, has she? This might be a good one. But my prediction of it being a "last-one-standing" competition was right, at least up to this point. She and Rachel were the only two that didn't mess up somehow, and the results reflect that. And I think the veterans will have the upper hand against some of the up-and-comers who snuck into the final groups.

champs

Final Flight
Just sat on my PC and found out the results of the US Ladies SP while tuning in to watch Euro ladies...ouch. This really hurts. Hopefully the day after tomorrow is another day for Ashley. I really hope so.

OTOH congrats to Alissa for a great skate, can't wait to watch her SP!

antmanb

Record Breaker

Mirai Nagasu sounds really upset and pessimistic. She seems to be really hard on herself.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-spw-elliott-nagasu23-2009jan23,0,7198792.column

That article really does make it sound like the relationship between the Nagasu family and Wong is at breaking point. These two quote really made me :eek:

"I would say what I've been saying all along: She needs to take time off," said Charlene Wong, her primary coach.'

and

"Coaches, people have done that, but at the end of the day that's a decision for her and her family," Wong said. "And if they choose to allow her to skate, if that's the decision they make, I'm the coach and I can't intervene with the family on health issues and family issues. I can only give them opinion and allow them access or encourage them to have access to the people that are experts in that field."

Sounds like Mirai should really have been off the ice resting up the injury but she and her family wanted her to continue to skate against Wong's wishes. Has she not heard of Tara Lipinski and the damage she did to herself?

Ant

Andalusia

Final Flight
Poor Mirai, she sounds awfully down in that article. However, her jump problems have existed since before this season - she always has this weird hook on her landings. The landing foot is frequently unsteady. If finding a new coach will help her to fix this problem (and a coaching move from Mirai certainly wouldn't surprise me), then I hope she does so ASAP.

In Caroline's case, I don't think she'll be leaving Li Mingzhu anytime soon, even if that's what it will take to improve her jumping technique. I think there's a level of familiarity and comfort between Caroline/Caroline's family and her coach, so making a move seems unlikely at this point.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict Alissa might win this whole thing. I've just discovered Ohio is her hometown, and who knows what some homespun spirit might do for her. :) I will say one thing, though, Alissa's LP music this season can really sell the program strongly, that is if she skates it cleanly. I think Alissa might not be 100% perfect, but she'll do just enough to win the title.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
It's interesting that everyone seemed nervous but Alissa. Who would have thought she would be in first after the SP. It would be nice if she could hold on, but I would not count on her winning. I think Rachael will win the LP, Alissa will be second, and Caroline third. Ashley has put herself in a fight for the Pewter medal.

Last edited:

Tesla

Final Flight
Other than Rachael, who is the most consistent and most likely a lock for Worlds because of that, who else should go to Worlds? Except for Ashley and Alissa, no one else has really shined in the GP this year. Ashley bombed Worlds last year and her short program last night. At this point, it's a toss-up between Ashley and Alissa with the edge going to Alissa. Mirai I think is out of it. She needs to rest her ankle and come back strong for next year. Caroline needs to regroup for next year also, but I think she should go to 4CCs.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Skate Order is up on icenetwork.

Final flight.

1. Katrina Hacker
2. Mirai
3. Britteny Rizo
4. Rachael
5. Caroline
6. Alissa

Congrats to Alissa for a beautifully skated SP and also to Rachael and Caroline for keeping their nerves in check and skating great programs. A special shout out to the two Boston girls for placing
4th and 5th.

kate

On the Ice
Sounds like Mirai should really have been off the ice resting up the injury but she and her family wanted her to continue to skate against Wong's wishes. Has she not heard of Tara Lipinski and the damage she did to herself?t

You can skate through injuries if you're careful, especially ankle injuries, since the boots functions almost like a cast (which, ironically, often causes the injury). Whether she has been training with the injury in mind, though, I don't know, but it is possible.

gold12345

Medalist

Mirai says in the press conference:
"I've been blaming everything on my ankle, but the truth is that I've been lazy," Nagasu said, her voice shaking. "With puberty and growing taller, I've gained some weight."

That's so sad. Someone tell this girl that if you AREN'T gaining weight after growing 4 inches, then something is wrong! The weight gain is perfectly normal. I feel bad for her. She sounds so frustrated.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I want to thank everyone for the play by play especially Kate. I didn't get to watch the short program but it sounds like it was interesting.

I am so happy for Alissa. I sure hope she can pull out a great long. I would love to see her national champion. I think she really deserves it.

herios

Medalist
It's interesting that everyone seemed nervous but Alissa. Who would have thought she would be in first after the SP. It would be nice if she could hold on, but I would not count on her winning. I think Rachael will win the LP, Alissa will be second, and Caroline third. Ashley has put herself in a fight for the Pewter medal.

I am not American, but as a Canadian fan, I can tell my objective opinion about the current crop uf US ladies. You guys have currently one beautiful skater and that is Alissa. If there is one who has very good chances to score really high at Worlds, she is the one. I know her from way back when she blasted out on the scene at Skate Canada, she always had iisues with her jumps. Right now, she doesn't, thanks to the work with Brian Boitano's camp, her technique is superior, it's just her nerves which holds her back.
The rest of the former baby ballerina team, each have different issues. some jumps related, also many of them speed, posture (Rachael). Nagasu has to fair through her growth spurth, she is not the same as when she was junior. Biology could play havoc with your athletic career, especially in this sport. If they force the issue, it could have dramatic consequences.

ANW

On the Ice
:rofl: apparently you didn't watch it at all.
Other than Rachael, who is the most consistent and most likely a lock for Worlds because of that, who else should go to Worlds? Except for Ashley and Alissa, no one else has really shined in the GP this year. Ashley bombed Worlds last year and her short program last night. At this point, it's a toss-up between Ashley and Alissa with the edge going to Alissa. Mirai I think is out of it. She needs to rest her ankle and come back strong for next year. Caroline needs to regroup for next year also, but I think she should go to 4CCs.

Tesla

Final Flight
No I didn't, but I did check scores and placements. I know that Ashley finished lowest of the three US ladies last year at Worlds and that she and Alissa were pretty even throughout the GP. Caroline wasn't that much better than either Ashley or Alissa and she has dodgy technique no one likes. Mirai was never in it through the GP. So again, seeing how Ashley screwed up the short last night, I think the edge would go to Alissa. As boring as I think Rachael is, she's the most consistent and should go to Worlds.

You guys have currently one beautiful skater and that is Alissa. If there is one who has very good chances to score really high at Worlds, she is the one.
I agree. If Alissa skates perfectly she has a chance to be a podium contender at Worlds.

Of course, she could also finish 18th. But the other U.S. ladies will not be at the top this year even if they skate their best.