Scoring/calls at NHK | Golden Skate

Scoring/calls at NHK

icewhite

Record Breaker
I'll open a new thread about this, which can be moved if it's not deemed worthy, but I have seen people talking about it in different places now and apparently Lambiel said something about it, too, and people are wondering if they are after Shoma and Yuma is now the new favourite of the fed.

If we look at the calls at NHK they were just very strict in general.

q and UR calls at NHK:
men's SP: 13
men's FP: 25

China:
men's SP: 4
men's FP: 14

Espoo:
men's SP: 7
men's FP: 8

France:
men's SP: 1
men's FP: 3

I hope I counted correctly. I am aware that there were different skaters at the events, still I think this very much indicates that the panel was much stricter at least on this topic at NHK.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the calls were fine. I don't think anyone is "dumping" Shoma, but he wasn't at his peak technically at this competition, and honestly, he hasn't been that sharp all year.

I also think that "strict" is just another word for "accurate."

icewhite

Record Breaker
I think the calls were fine. I don't think anyone is "dumping" Shoma, but he wasn't at his peak technically at this competition, and honestly, he hasn't been that sharp all year.

I also think that "strict" is just another word for "accurate."

I agree that the calls were fine and it's just that skaters are not used to such strict calls. I just wanted to say that I don't think this looks like they "targeted" Shoma specifically since I have seen people thinking they did and Lambiel talking about a judging scandal and unjustified judging.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I thought the calls made at NHK seemed very consistent. People have been complaining for ages about panels not making the correct calls, as soon as a technical panel does so people get upset because they were too 'strict'. In this sort of context, you cannot have accuracy without strictness. If they are lenient rather than strict in applying the rules, then the scoring won't be accurate. 🤷‍♂️

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Out of idle curiosity I checked Shoma's career record for <, << and qs against number of jumps / season. This is compared to the percentage of all those calls among all the quads that season:

2014-15 12 attempts, 2 calls = 17% vs. 24%
2015-16 24 attempts, 2 calls = 8% vs. 24%
2016-17 58 attempts, 4 calls = 7% vs. 24%
2017-18 55 attempts, 12 calls = 22% vs. 30%
2018-19 49 attempts, 12 calls = 24% vs. 31%
2019-20 28 attempts, 5 calls = 18% vs. 29%
2020-21 17 attempts, 4 calls = 23% vs. 36% (q was introduced)
2021-22 35 attempts, 3 calls = 9% vs. 32%
2022-23 37 attempts, 7 calls = 19% vs. 37%
2023-24 17 attempts, 8 calls = 47% vs. 33%

Total 59 calls among 332 jumps (18%).

He will compete a couple of times still this season, so the final percentage for this season can be much lower. However, the 47% for the fall season is pretty steep even for Shoma.

(As a comparison, it could be mentioned that eg Nathan Chen got total 11 q/</<< calls among his 239 attempts = 5%, Yuzuru Hanyu 24 out of 232 jumps = 10%, and Javier Fernandez 3 among his 186 jumps = 2%.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks @eppen I always appreciate data, rather than impressions.

In this case, the data supports my earlier stated belief that he isn't as sharp this year. However, as you say, the season is early yet. He hasn't made half the attempts he's made in prior seasons, so maybe he'll come into better jumping form later, at least as far as rotations go.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Both of Shoma's 4Ts in the free skate at NHK were called, as well as the 4T combo in the SP. In my eyes, it was harsh.
(I had more issue with the PCS not being where I would have imagined it)

If I remember rightly, the women's scoring also seemed quite strict - Haein and Wakaba had about 5 calls in their NHK free skates. Contrast to their other event in GP de France. Did their rotations get so much worse over the space of 3 weeks?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both of Shoma's 4Ts in the free skate at NHK were called, as well as the 4T combo in the SP. In my eyes, it was harsh.
(I had more issue with the PCS not being where I would have imagined it)

If I remember rightly, the women's scoring also seemed quite strict - Haein and Wakaba had about 5 calls in their NHK free skates. Contrast to their other event in GP de France. Did their rotations get so much worse over the space of 3 weeks?

Or were their rotation issues given a pass at NHK? Or were they fine there, but not here?

It's hard to say. Inconsistencies from various callers isn't new.