Ladies SP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

McWicked

On the Ice
Alissa finished 15th at Worlds in 2007. If she does that badly this time arund, the USFSA will be kicking itself for not sending Bebe instead (10th at 2008 Worlds). ;)

15th??? Thanks!!! This comforts me little but enough :clap:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
First, I want to thank you all for an amazing thread of descriptions. :clap: The beauty of written descriptions and comments, is that they stand still lol and one can read them later. I found reading this thread quite exciting.

I not only like more than one lady skater; I have several favorites. This makes competition amongst them easier on my nerves, than it otherwise might have been. Apparently, it was a rough night in Jericho for some of them, but a triumphant night for others. The FS lies ahead, so I shall not assume anything. I just hope that all my favorites do well in the FS.

Figure Skating is a highly individual sport, so I am not chauvinistic in my choice of favorites; it is the individuals I favor, rather than their countries of origin. I particularly love the majesty, the splendor, of the battle in singles skating. The skater, once out there, is on their own; this gives the skating an heroic quality. All the applause in the world cannot shift the blade a fraction of an inch. It is up to the skater. They are alone out there, waiting for their music, like a bullfighter waiting for the bull. The ice is hard, like the horns of the bull. Tension mounts as the music begins....and then anything can happen, anything. I love it. I love the courage that it takes to do it.

For the ladies, it means trying to look lovely and graceful while busting their guts, and that's double duty. Here's to the delicate damsels who fight the ice with swords on their feet. :clap:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I just noticed it said over 27,000 views on this thread. guess some of us still like figure skating which is nice to see. Just wish more tv showed it live as other sports.

That doesn't mean that 27,000 different people are viewing this thread. Some people have been on 20 or more times each.

rain

Record Breaker
Yu Na Kim was quite magnificent and is deservedly in 1st. No doubt at all that her triple-triple was clean and fully rotated. Rochette a great second. She really needed a clean short before heading into worlds, and she did it, and looked confident and relaxed out there. Knock me over with a feather that Phaneuf is in third in this incredibly deep field, but she was wonderful out there. Her comeback is looking better and better. I expect the long will be harder for her though (more jumps — some that she's less sure about).

that sitspin Cantu did was in line with the character she was playing and in line with the character of the music. If you didn't get that then you seem to want only recognizeable ballet moves, and do not want character pieces like in Copelia and Petrouchka or even in Joubert's Matrix

btw, has anyone seen the protocols of that sitspin. It's difficult and if she got pluses for it, it will become a staple in programs, especially with Men.

Figure Skating is a highly individual sport, so I am not chauvinistic in my choice of favorites; it is the individuals I favor, rather than their countries of origin. I particularly love the majesty, the splendor, of the battle in singles skating. The skater, once out there, is on their own; this gives the skating an heroic quality. All the applause in the world cannot shift the blade a fraction of an inch. It is up to the skater. They are alone out there, waiting for their music, like a bullfighter waiting for the bull. The ice is hard, like the horns of the bull. Tension mounts as the music begins....and then anything can happen, anything. I love it. I love the courage that it takes to do it.

For the ladies, it means trying to look lovely and graceful while busting their guts, and that's double duty. Here's to the delicate damsels who fight the ice with swords on their feet.
Beautifully put, Dodhiyel. Let's also remember how young many of them are - they're out there doing battle at an age when most teenagers are still decidedly children. I try to remember that when posting criticism.

That said, I'm in the ranks of those who admire Yu Na without being able to love her skating. I recall that after seeing her for the first time (Youtube vid of a JGP skate) I posted that she would be the next queen of skating, because she had everything. Even so, she leaves me cold, no matter how adept she is or how big her jumps are. Something's missing but I can't name it. Joy, maybe. Or maybe it's just her body build, longer and thinner than I like to watch (esp. when she accentuates her long arms by wearing black gloves). When she quits skating I'm sure she'll make a great model.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Enjoyed Joannie for once. Crisp, clean jumps and a little more expressive than usual. That said, her spiral sequence was slooow, and what was with throwing her head back and flinging the ponytail about? I thought that went out with Ashley Wagner. Joannie still seemed a little overscored, IMO.

Mao looked freer and more relaxed than I've ever seen her. Jumps looked light and easy, although the loop was clearly UR. I don't know, I thought she was good - delicate and flowing. Is 57.86 too high or low a score for a SP with a doubled solo triple and a downgraded 3-3?

Yu-Na was...good, as usual. Solid jumps, although that stiff-legged layback still drives me crazy. She's obviously expressing more facially - maybe she's taking a leaf out of MK's book? I used to enjoy her a lot more, especially when she delivered, but the bots have made it hard to root for her. As good as Yu-Na was, I still thought her score was a little too high.

Still waiting to see the American gals. Anyways, if the podium doesn't end up consisting of Joannie, Mao and Yu-Na, I'll eat my computer.

gourry

Final Flight
Wow! Yuna set a new world record!!! Congratulations!!:clap: Her performance was breath taking and totally blew me away. I like the new sit spin position and boy, that layback was so fast! I also loved her fast and long, long spiral. Every movement emphasized the music and she really looked regal out there. And the jumps. Just magnificent. I knew this is gonna be a new world record and honestly I even expected a bit higher score.:biggrin:
I could only watch some parts of Joannie's performance because my streaming suddenly froze(I also missed Nayoung Kim's. Too bad.) but it looked great too. The huge double axel was really beautiful. I really wanted to check her youtube clip but there seems to be a flash problem with my computer. Need to go to the geeksquad today. Geez... Anyway I'm very happy she pulled beautiful clean SP here! Yay!
Cynthia and Fumie were also wonderful! I'm really impressed! Especially Fumie's strong comeback this season really makes me emotionl. And I really like her pink SP dress. The color looks great on her and it makes her look less thin. I rarely say this but good job on that costume Morozov.
I wouldn't worry too much about Mao because she will do better in her LP. I liked her new dress. Maybe it suits more for her LP, though...?
Alissa broke my heart but I wish that SP somehow lessened her pressure so that she can pull clean LP tomorrow.
Rachel and Caroline, you did good job, too! By the way, Rachel looked very, pretty at the K&C zone.:biggrin:

Anyway, kudos, ladies!!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, my Ice Network feed didn't work last night, and the replay is not up yet. Hopefully, I will get to see this program in the near future. :banging:

So, is this good news for Canada? Could Joannie and Cynthia go, say, 3-10 at worlds and get three spots for the Olympics?

Daniel5555

On the Ice
I am surprised how much people on this thread are judging the skaters by their subjective perception of the programs... and nothing more!

Love or hate it, but figure skating is a SPORT, not a theatre, so you can't just say "oh, this skater is not bringing any emotion to me, so he/she is bad". Nope... if you really think that you'll better go to watch some hockey.

Yuna got her place because she done it great, both artistically and physically. Also I must say that all skaters who got to the top-20 are great. It's too hard not to make a mistake... if landing would have been easy we wouldn't get so much falls. It's obvious that the people who are spending half of their life training deserve more than careless criticism. And we can't judge them only by our subjective perception of artistry and beauty. I hope everyone who truly love skating understands this.

What does "head-tossing" mean?
Hmm, how else to say it? If you watch Joannie, Ashley (at least last season), and Jeremy you'll know. Throwing back the head suddenly (often quite a few times in the same program)? Snapping the head around for dramatic effect? (But it's not dramatic any more when it is done over and over, especially if the viewer is worrying that the skater will get a whiplash injury! What a dumb injury for a figure skater that would be!)

Ladies with pony-tails seem to like it because it makes the tail swing - but really, the horse imitation does not help with PCS.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
watching Joannie's clip on Youtube I'm a bit miffed at the 'slow spiral' comment, I didn't think it was any slower than Yuna's

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I'm happy for Yuna, but I'm still not all sold on her spins and spirals.
Maybe I'm asking too much.

If she knows how to "work the system," then other skaters better take a class or two in that course themselves sooner than later.

I don't get it.
If this were 6.0, wouldn't she still score higher than most because of her technical prowess and room to convey expression, which I think she is more capable of than most???

On another note, what's happened to Mao?
Is she too tired or what?
At least her new costume looks better than the last one from the early season.
Once again, she will have to go all out in long to have a crack at the top spot, which means jump, jump, jump, jump, and more jumps.

I just hate to see that.
Her artistry (or lack thereof) has to be even more compromised.

Lastly, good luck to the American ladies.
ARRRGGGGG, it's really frustrating to not have one skater we can all count on in big competitions, but I still have faith!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
The exact rule is, if you have two skaters the sum of their placements must be 28 or lower to get two spots next year (13 or lower for three spots.)

If your country has three skaters, only the placements of the top two count in determining the next year's allotment.

If your country only has one skater, that skater must place in the top ten to get two slots for the next year and must be in the top two to get three slots. Every country gets at least one no matter what.
)

Thank you MM. That is clear and easy to understand. So, the worst the US can do is 13th and 14th to have two spots. Alyssa can bomb and place lower than that but I think Rachel is steady enough to place above 13th. Or, at least let's HOPE she's steady enough!

And for those worrying about how Czisny does, well- if she still has a bad skate left in her this season, I'd MUCH rather it happen now than in March. So it's not the end of the world- yet.