Ladies SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

Andalusia

Final Flight
Ladies with pony-tails seem to like it because it makes the tail swing - but really, the horse imitation does not help with PCS.

LMAO! :laugh:

watching Joannie's clip on Youtube I'm a bit miffed at the 'slow spiral' comment, I didn't think it was any slower than Yuna's

Come to think of it, Yu-Na's spiral was slower than usual, too. And the girl really needs to learn how to straighten her free leg out.

Red Dog said:
So, the worst the US can do is 13th and 14th to have two spots...

And for those worrying about how Czisny does, well- if she still has a bad skate left in her this season, I'd MUCH rather it happen now than in March...

I think 13th and 15th would be good enough.

For Alissa, I don't think it is so much, "how many good or bad skates does she have in her." I think it is more a cumulative momentum effect. A good performance makes it more likely that the next one will be good, too. A bad performance could lay on her mind and make the next one even worse.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I may be biased against Yu-Na, however, it's not just cause she beats our faces in. Mao usually beats our faces in too, but I think Mao has much better artistry. Artistry used to count. It still counts with me, even if it doesn't count on the podium. I really like the programs Mao has done lately, last season's especially. And yes, the rankings MIGHT not be much different in this situation under 6.0, but my point is that someone like Yu-Na (shouldn't we type Yun-a? But I digress...) can break records with a program that a lot of people find to be boring. It just highlights the flaws in CoP. Skating should be judged, not calculated. Yun-a is the master of the calculating system of CoP. If you happen to like her, well, good for you.

I'll say this to her credit... I like Yun-a's skating significantly better than I liked Shizuka Arikawa. So if Yun-a tops the podium next year in Vancouver, I won't be as nauseous as in 2006.

Well figure skating is a sport, so in general all sport should have a code of point system. Look at hockey, basketball, baseball, tennis, etc. Otherwise, why have it?? All skaters should just enter the beauty contest and judged by peoples, who have differnt bias and objective taste which is the fatal flaw of the 6.0 system.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Enjoyed Joannie for once. Crisp, clean jumps and a little more expressive than usual. That said, her spiral sequence was slooow, and what was with throwing her head back and flinging the ponytail about? I thought that went out with Ashley Wagner. Joannie still seemed a little overscored, IMO.

Mao looked freer and more relaxed than I've ever seen her. Jumps looked light and easy, although the loop was clearly UR. I don't know, I thought she was good - delicate and flowing. Is 57.86 too high or low a score for a SP with a doubled solo triple and a downgraded 3-3?

Yu-Na was...good, as usual. Solid jumps, although that stiff-legged layback still drives me crazy. She's obviously expressing more facially - maybe she's taking a leaf out of MK's book? I used to enjoy her a lot more, especially when she delivered, but the bots have made it hard to root for her. As good as Yu-Na was, I still thought her score was a little too high.

Still waiting to see the American gals. Anyways, if the podium doesn't end up consisting of Joannie, Mao and Yu-Na, I'll eat my computer.

Both canadian are overscore. Cynthia was slow and her jumps has no natural flow like other skaters. I bet judges are throwing +2-3 GOE on all of Joannie jumps.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Hmm, how else to say it? If you watch Joannie, Ashley (at least last season), and Jeremy you'll know. Throwing back the head suddenly (often quite a few times in the same program)? Snapping the head around for dramatic effect? (But it's not dramatic any more when it is done over and over, especially if the viewer is worrying that the skater will get a whiplash injury! What a dumb injury for a figure skater that would be!)

Ladies with pony-tails seem to like it because it makes the tail swing - but really, the horse imitation does not help with PCS.

Thank you for the explenation! I must say I love when Jeremy does that move. :laugh: Well, each of his movements is wonderful for me.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For Alissa, I don't think it is so much, "how many good or bad skates does she have in her." I think it is more a cumulative momentum effect. A good performance makes it more likely that the next one will be good, too. A bad performance could lay on her mind and make the next one even worse.

I'm sure there's some effect but she just came off of arguably the most successful comp of her career. By your token, her FS should be better than Nats, especially now that she messed up in the SP and needs to fight back.

I still think it's a Jekyll/Hyde situation. Let's hope Good Alyssa shows up in LA.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Lastly, good luck to the American ladies.
ARRRGGGGG, it's really frustrating to not have one skater we can all count on in big competitions, but I still have faith!!

Well, we have one American lady in the final group. And if her position holds, she will skate in the exhibition. :rock:

skatingbc

Final Flight
Just finished watching Cynthia's Short...

Amazing. She skates with such emotion and I thought her step sequence was cleverly choreographed to match the change of music.

I'm really happy for her.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Just saw Mao's SP. Jumps aside, I thought everything else was really lovely. I love her new costume too. I think it really fits in with the music. She'll probably do much better in the free.

Kim's SP was great as usual. She's probably got the best SP in terms of choreography and expression this season.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I am surprised how much people on this thread are judging the skaters by their subjective perception of the programs

Art is subjective.

Love or hate it, but figure skating is a SPORT

An artistic sport. Thus it combines the objective (technical mastery) with the subjective (artistry.)

you can't just say "oh, this skater is not bringing any emotion to me, so he/she is bad". Nope... if you really think that you'll better go to watch some hockey.

Hockey is art?

Tigger

Final Flight
An artistic sport. Thus it combines the objective (technical mastery) with the subjective (artistry.)

Thank you!! I'm so sick of the arguements of skating's a sport. It's BOTH!! And CoP is killing it!! So many are right about last night's SP's being so boring, but you could say that about just about all the disciplines these days. W/the exception of Dance. That's really the only one CoP has really helped. Everyone's looking the same thanks to trying to get those blasted Levels needed.

I miss the days of beautiful and exciting skating.

I have a friend who says someday very soon, there's going to be a course in Sports Management schools on how to destroy a sport and skating will be the main example used. :(

Hockey is art?

Yes, it certainly can be. When there's an amazing end to end goal...That is beauty and art in it's own way. :)

fourclover

On the Ice
I just saw Yu-na 's SP shot by a private fan cam on Youtube and wow, she looks better from afar than on up close shot. She's got great speed and ice coverage and her long-limbed physique really looks good and flowy from a distance.

But I did think her spins could be faster and I totally blame Dick Button for opening my eyes but Yu-na's free leg position in her layback spin is a real eye sore.

i love to skate

Medalist
I wish people would stop comparing skating now and before COP. It has changed and it is not going back. If you don't like it don't watch! As far as everyone looking the same, I feel there is far more originality and excitement now than before. People curse the spins "looking the same" but before COP all we saw was camel/sit/change sit with maybe a catch foot in there. COP also has added excitement by allowing movement in the placings and new skaters have the opportunity to be judged on their skills and do not have to "wait their turn." IMO

bekalc

Record Breaker
Thank you!! I'm so sick of the arguements of skating's a sport. It's BOTH!! And CoP is killing it!!

Sigh, is COP killing it. Have you watched lower ranked skaters under 6.0, let me put it this way there were problems then too...
Just a few:

Kim was fabulous

Mao was lovely as always mistakes or not.

Joannie was fabulous to

and all of these programs were different

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I wish people would stop comparing skating now and before COP. It has changed and it is not going back. If you don't like it don't watch!

Oh right. Whoever has any issues with anything about skating, just stop watching and leave the building. Don't like, try to FIX it or anything.

How about you and the entire ISU can instead leave, and everyone else can get down to fixing the problems? There was actually going to be a new skating union to compete with the ISU, but the ISU killed it. Let's get those people together again...

i love to skate

Medalist
Oh right. Whoever has any issues with anything about skating, just stop watching and leave the building. Don't like, try to FIX it or anything.

How about you and the entire ISU can instead leave, and everyone else can get down to fixing the problems? There was actually going to be a new skating union to compete with the ISU, but the ISU killed it. Let's get those people together again...

I have no problems with trying to fix some of the problems. However, It drives me crazy however when people say skating is ruined, or COP is killing the sport. What actually killed the sport was the 6.0 system which lead to many many judging scandals. There were many wonderful performances these past two days so I really don't see how COP is killing the sport. I was simply stating my viewpoint just as you have done...

cosmos

On the Ice
Art is subjective.

Hockey is art?

Art is subjective. That is why artists can not be numbered in a hierachy. But skaters should be numbered in each competition. That is the problem of FS. how do we judge on artistry? You say Mao has more artistry than YuNa. But, for me, it is a non-sense. Old 6.0 system had the obvious flaws of being too subjective.

People who made the CoP tried hard to combine technical side with artistry. It still has flaws, mainly bacause of the nature of FS. We may have to improve the system. But, it is a totally non-sense to simply criticize it.