Articles about Worlds, the event, the skaters- All the news that's fit to print | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Articles about Worlds, the event, the skaters- All the news that's fit to print

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I can't see them medaling, but top 5 is doable. I see more like 6th place though. Don't forget that Keauna was sick at nationals. If they had been healthy, no doubt they would have skated much better.

If we accept the German and 2 Chinese teams as locks there is also Dube/Davidson, Duhamel/Buntin, Kawaguchi/Smirnov, Murkhortova/Trankov Given the aforementioned, what place do you see them in now?

I'm still going for a great showing in Worlds, their First.

LeCygne

Final Flight
^ I'd say Dube/Davidson and Kawaguchi/Smirnov will probably be ahead of them, maybe Murkhortova/Trankov...

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
^ I'd say Dube/Davidson and Kawaguchi/Smirnov will probably be ahead of them, maybe Murkhortova/Trankov...

Mukhortova and Trankov however connot bombed the free skate.

They remind me so much of Petrova and Tikhonov whereas they are so good in the SP but tendo to make mistakes in LP

gold12345

Medalist
If we accept the German and 2 Chinese teams as locks there is also Dube/Davidson, Duhamel/Buntin, Kawaguchi/Smirnov, Murkhortova/Trankov Given the aforementioned, what place do you see them in now?

I'm still going for a great showing in Worlds, their First.

There's also Volosozhar/Morozov. The pairs field is actually quite deep, so it should be a good competition.

I think top 5 or 6 for M/B is definitely possible. It's Worlds, there will be a lot of added pressure on the "veterans", and there will most likely be plenty of mistakes, especially in the LPs. Obviously M/B would have to skate very well and others would have to make mistakes, but that goes for anyone gunning for the top 5 (except the two Chinese and the Germans, who are locks for top 5 unless they have complete meltdowns).

One of the keys for M/B will be to skate a good short so they are in decent positioning heading into the long. In the long, anything can happen, and I expect plenty of mistakes from the field. It really depends how everyone skates. M/B have beaten V/M, D/B, D/D, M/T before, but they could easily lose to all of those teams, too, if they don't skate all that well. We'll have to see who makes the fewest mistakes. Should be fun though and a great experience for them.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Umm... I would agree not to be too bothered by the absence of some obvious contenders who we all know will be 'in the mix'

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Notes from backstage at world championships - 3/23/09

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090323&content_id=62745&vkey=ice_news

Since his sixth-place finish at worlds last season, it's been one injury after another for Kevin van der Perren. Still, the 26-year-old Belgian champion has been making the best of his time on and off the ice.

"Whatever happened, I knew I had to do Europeans and worlds, because if I didn't, I might never come back," he said.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Thank you for posting that, i_love_to_skate (me2)!
Love it!:love::p
Oh, my. Bless his frankness
:rofl::bow:

I would say it's mostly the media's fault :laugh:

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Oy, that was juicy:biggrin: I wish he'd not gone on personal level, but I guess the Canadians can't go on goody-goody forever after Joubert's so many criticisms/sarcasms. Let the drama begin!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
The media's hungry for yet another rivalry. I can't imagine what Joubert's going to say to this. He doesn't seem like the sort to keep quiet about a comment like this!

Now its ''Chan complaining about Joubert complaining'':laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
At least Chan isn't boring! :clap: I hate boring people. I still want Joubert/Kozuka/Takahashi/Ponsero/Borodulin/Brezina/Rippon kick his butt in the next 5 years or so.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Joubert, Chan square off in war of words

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090324&content_id=62751&vkey=ice_news

Last season, Brian Joubert shrugged off Jeffrey Buttle, saying there were only a few skaters capable of winning the world title and the quad-less Buttle wasn't among them.

The Frenchman made a lot of noise off the ice, but the soft-spoken Canadian took home gold, defeating Joubert by nearly 14 points after his rival took a tumble in the short program.

Buttle is retired from competition, but his successor, two-time Canadian champion Patrick Chan, has taken up the cause.