Mens SP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Mens SP

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's really poor taste.

So, going with that line of thinking, I'm going to buy stuffed animals to use for the rest of the week. Skaters I do not favor will get an ugly animal thrown out onto the ice right in front of the entrance/exit door to the ice (so they'll be sure to see it) and skaters I love will get nice animals.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Maybe the judges were irritated by Chan's interview too.;)
What did Chan say before?
I've flown from Sydney to LA- going to see Men's LP tomorrow. Woo hoo!

While he didn't skate his best, I'm glad Brian with a quad and charisma is in the lead. Was starting to get worried about the men's field with pretty skaters doing pretty things. Hopefully we'll have the excitement of Yagudin era with more refined details added thanks to COP.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the crowd burst into a standing ovation at Lysacek's performance I sat in my seat and rolled my eyes. Yeah, he did a good job, but it was hardly orgasmic.

Thank you. For me, it wasn't the crowd reaction as much as it was Evan's. If he were a football player or a wrestler, he would have been cited for excessive celebration. :p I was thinking, WTH?, did he win the lottery or something? :scratch: No, just his usual unimpressive 3Axel, 3Lutz+3toe, lipped 3flip, labored footwork and spins, and over the top dramatics and excessive arm flailing. 2nd was a big gift, IMO.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I didn't want to stay up all night but decided that if I happened to wake up while the skating was on, I'd watch. And who, of all people, do I wake up for? Patrick Chan. So I can't discuss anyone's scoring other than his and Kevin's. I felt the way both were marked was actually pretty fair.

There's no arguing that Chan landed all the jumps and that he skates well, but as Medusa wrote earlier (I am so not going through the whole thread), he seemed a bit tight and very cautious. The other thing that kind of surprised me was the step sequences - I've been saying for some time now that Chan's really strong at this, but this time I felt kind of let down. The high kicks might get the levels up but they seem to have little to do with the rest of the sequence, and in the straight line there was quite a bit of two-footed skating, which is the last thing I'd have expected from him. Has he made any changes to his footwork while I wasn't paying attention?

At the end, Simon (I think) from Eurosport said he doesn't really get Chan, and they both seemed fine with him in third. Was it just me, or did Chan look confused by his score and placement?

Not much to say about KvdP - but Kevin's more of an LP skater anyway. I hope to catch some of the others on the taped highlights later today.

Can we please have a moratorium on the tangos next year? At this point I'm ready for tango programs to get a music deduction, even if very well skated :biggrin:.

rosee

On the Ice
I was about to give my 2 cents about you know what but I won't.
I'll talk about the positive:

:party: TOMAS !!!! :party2:
You were absolutely awesome :love:
I love you! I'll wake up at 3:00AM anyday just to see YOU!!!!
Would you marry me?

My fangirl side is showing a little, isn't it?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
:party: TOMAS !!!! :party2:
You were absolutely awesome :love:
I love you! I'll wake up at 3:00AM anyday just to see YOU!!!!
Would you marry me?

My fangirl side is showing a little, isn't it?
Stay positive, Rosee - it's always best! Tomas deserves fangirl reactions, so no problems there! :agree:

Re Joubert, I've seen it on Youtube. My guess is that he had a -1 or so on the quad (which works out to -1.6, of course) or maybe a bit worse, but that he could have gotten higher levels on non-jump elements compared to other events this season, which would have made up some of the difference.

seniorita

Record Breaker
At the end, Simon (I think) from Eurosport said he doesn't really get Chan, and they both seemed fine with him in third. Was it just me, or did Chan look confused by his score and placement?

lol eurosport from eurosport differs! french eurosport commentors were saying that they were sure Chan 's marks will be over 90!
Is there a internet link for english eurosport?I love the two british commentors!
Kozuka is my new love:clap:

Germanice

On the Ice
Sorry, but I don't get all that (NA) Chan hype. He was good, but not that much better than Kozuka or Verner. Where's the whining HERE? Chan is no way a martyr, he has been ridiculously overscored all season.

Maybe in future he'll better stick his foot into his mouth before vocalizing his lack of respect towards his competitors or belittle the achievements of former Great Champions again.

That is what you get for being so insolent, that's what comes of! :biggrin:

harmy18

Rinkside
I'm happy that Tomas got 4th, great job:clap: I wish he did the same good job in his LP, pls

well.... Brian got first while Evan and Patrick followed, all I wanna know is whether jugdes highlight their emphasis on quad this year :scratch: a flawless performance won't get high marks without quad, or a defective performance deserves high marks merely becoz it consists of a quad or so-on :think:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
According to the LA Times, Brian Joubert got a 10.6 for the 4-3. That's probably about -1.4 GOE, because the base value is 13.80.

I would have loved to have had a seat at that press conference. Does anyone know if there were any fun comments?

rosee

On the Ice
lol eurosport from eurosport differs! french eurosport commentors were saying that they were sure Chan 's marks will be over 90!

Which illustrates well people's reactions on Chan. Some do get him but some just don't [while respecting him and his skills]. It's not insincerity or hypocrisy.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I just watched Tomas Verner's SP on Youtube, and if anyone has cause to complain about the PCS, it's not the two guys directly ahead of him. What a lovely performance - not Hidden Czechish at all... Good job, Tomas! :clap:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Huh? Chan third? I don't understand...
As Philpe Pélisier on Eurosport said, it looked as if Patrick was going to beat his SB. Not only did he not win the sp (although he deserved to), but he's even behind Evan (Evan skated great, I'm just not sure his performance was better than Patrick's). Maybe I need to have another look at his performance (it was around 1am in the morning here when Patrick skated, so I wasn't as focused as usual).
I'm chuffed for Brian's score (although I am surprised that he's only 2 points away from his SB, despite the mistake on the combo and that his performance wasn't as explosive as usual).:thumbsup:
What's great is that unlike nearly all of his other competions these last two seasons, he hasn't gained a significant advance with the SP, so he'll have to do a great LP to win. Not only is this good for this competition (it's ages since I've seen Brian in all of his glory in a LP - three quads, pretty, pretty please!!!) but it's also good for Brian's Olympic preparation - I doubt one can win gold thanks solely to one's SP.

Kinga

Medalist
What are those merits? Have you seen protocols?
You can't score 90 points on simply amazing transitions and cleanly landed triple jumps while other competitor go out and attempts something more challenging. I am sure Chan gets his due in transitions as he always does. Bu it is only one element of many. And we shall wait for protocols before screamed robbed.

I dont have to look at protocols to understand that 'more challenging' thing was executed with two mistakes. And the program as the whole was worse when it comes to skating skills, choregraphy and transitions. So it is simple, who should be ahead of who.

Chan was clean today, perhaps a bit less free, a bit tighter - lost about 6 points
Joubert lost about 3 points on the 4-3 - so they gave him perhaps a point more overall, but the result is actually quite consistent
Kozuka was clean today, very similar to GPF - but scored 4 points less, but he already got very low scores at 4CC, compared to GPF
Lysacek rather consistent judging, he got about a point more today
Oda - lost 5 points compared to NHK, he fell though - perhaps he lost about 1 point compared to NHK
Verner - this is rather weird, he had an excellent 4-3 compared to 3-3 at Europeans, where he got those 81.45 points. Meaning +6 points on the tech side, he lost 2 points on the Axel - I am still at +4 points. But he scored even less, so overall he lost 5 points.

So in the Top Seven, without Contesti, we have three guys who got scores consistent with their season's best: Joubert, Lysacek and Oda. Kozuka, Chan and Verner lost at least 4 points compared to their season's best.

What does Medusa learn from this? Maybe those ordinals were better and maybe she shouldn't get worked up about randomn scores, because apparently, they count for nothing in the end...

I also start wondering about it...
Even if Patrick was not overcored here and he received what he deserved, then the judges were sending him wrong signals during the season and therefore I am not surprised that he looked a bit disappointed. If you get something around 89 for almost identical performance few weeks before and then you get 82 (ok, it was a bit more tight, but still), then it is some sort of slap in the face. Compering competitions SHOULD give more accurate information. At the end, wasn't it CoP's goal not to set a standart for one competition like in 6.0 era, but to have one standart for all competitions?

What is interesting is that I above all was annoyed by the scoring of Verner, whereas the audience was quite dissappointed with the scoring of Chan. I think his was a fair score, compared to what he received earlier in the season but it was not as consistent.

I know we can't compare scores across competitions but there should be a correlation between performance and score in the end. IMHO Verner's score was a shame.

I agree. I cannot understand how Verner's program with óne less mistake and the same jump layout, lovely steps etc, got 4 points less than Joubert's? I guess it is due to weaker performances this year, but again, judges SHOULD NOT consider it...

I would have:
1/2 Chan and Kozuka
3 Verner
4 Lysacek
5 Joubert
6 Mroz
7 Oda (I did not see Contesti, so I dont know)

Verner had a great program, but I put him 3rd, because I still believe that in the SP mistakes should be penalized more (like in 6.0 era), . Otherwise SP is no different from free skate.

I could only think: Good Heavens no! Leave him (Kozuka) be, we have already too much would be actors who are overly dramatic. I love his style. :love:
I agree! I love his calm, sweet personality on ice. We do not need another air humper ;)

I agree with you. Scoring over 82 with no quad is incredibly high already. I think Chan's score this time is about right.

Sure. But then Joubert was overscored.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
That's so true. Our Eurosport commentators said that Kozuka should work on his expression and perhaps take some acting lessons.

I could only think: Good Heavens no! Leave him be, we have already too much would be actors who are overly dramatic. I love his style. :love:

I agree with you! I like his sincere, pure style though I don't know whether the judges like it or not.

I'd like to enjoy his young, shy, pure Romeo tomorrow.
(I do like Takahashi's passionate Romeo, too:love:)

ks777

Record Breaker
I agree with you! I like his sincere, pure style though I don't know whether the judges like it or not.

I'd like to enjoy his young, shy, pure Romeo tomorrow.
(I do like Takahashi's passionate Romeo, too:love:)

These judges are mostly middle aged women who don't get laid that often anymore and they have too much pride to go to a strip club. So male figure skating is like a strip show for them. The judges clearly enjoyed Brian's show tonight, therefore his high PCS! If Kozuka or Chan wants to win, they better show more skin!:p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
These judges are mostly middle aged women who don't get laid that often anymore and they have too much pride to go to a strip club. So male figure skating is like a strip show for them. The judges clearly enjoyed Brian's show tonight, therefore his high PCS! If Kozuka or Chan wants to win, they better show more skin!:p
As a woman and a figure skating fan, I find that comment incredibly offensive, even as a joke. One can disucss the merits (or perceived lack thereof) of the skaters and the judging without resorting to that sort of stuff.

seniorita

Record Breaker

oh that is bad comment for any woman's age, it looks like medieval times comment... i have almost the same age as joumbert and I can assure you you dont need more skin to enjoy a skater. My only note for Joumbert is that I enjoyed his sp in COr when i first saw it, at europeans it was ok, yesterday somehow it was old news for me and I was not very excited, he didnt seem also very excited. He is far from my fav skater but it is offensive a bit for an athlete this kind of comments.
I like safir duo music though.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well colour me totally confused! I only watched the penultimate group so won't comment on the final group.

I really didn't think Brian skated his SP well - if he can afford to make two major errors on teh quad combination and lose only 1.4 marks then i'm absolutely convinced the quad should not be given any more points, if anything it should be given less :laugh: With the three errors it should have been in the -2 to -3 range. He had a hand down on the quad, while he was within the quarter turn downgrade limit on the triple toe - it was not all the way round and landed on an inside edge which he then had to step out of. His "sit" spin would not be called a sit at any adult event - nice to see the judging at worlds is more lax than at adult competitions!

I don't like Lysacek's skating - but his axel was clean, the other jumps were good, while the program (and definitely the costume!) were not to my taste, the spins were light years better than Brian and overall I think he should be in first.

Mroz - what on earth was the hype about him for? It's the first time i've seen him. The costume was truly awful. The whole program came accross as an attempt to mimc John Curry meets Alexei Urmanov and just didn't come off at all - i thought it was awful. His jumps are so low that i'm amazed he can land a quad.

Ponsero - I didn't like the program at Europeans (maybe its the words written on the costume?!) when it was good, it faired even worse here when the elements weren't working and tere were little trips and slips. I detest the music he's using too.

Poor Kevin and Jemery must have had bad days:cry:

I'm looking forward to watching the final group!

Ant