Mens' LP | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Mens' LP

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Wait what did Kurt say about Brian?
Nothing harsh - it's more of a damned by faint praise type of thing. And Kurt was rather snarky about Joubert's SP, which I can understand but which I imagine he wouldn't have been if they had a good relationship.

I vote for Brian to stay in France for choreo. Stanick, or the ice dance program over in Lyon.

Yannick screwed up, so either he or Alban will not be going to Vancouver. That is really too bad. Or both, if Amodio comes back strong next season!

oxade21

Match Penalty
I think Gwendel would be better, Anssiana made a DISASTER of a LP for Johnny Weir once, I forgot what it was but it did not go very well.

I thought Anissina's program was really nice for Weir and disaster was not because of her choreo?

I still think he needs someone with over-the-top style. Tarasova fits the best. Plus they do have good relationship still.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I didn't like Anissina's program for Johnny. And I believe that was her only experience as a choreorgapher, but I don't know that for sure.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
I'm not sure if you could read Evan's lips after he landed his 2nd 3A, but he said, "Oh, my God!" with a look of total amazement in his eyes. I was sitting right behind the judges, and I laughed with a couple of ladies sitting next to me.:laugh:

stickle

Rinkside
Chan could have won it if it's not for that short program....and it sux that costs 3 spots for Canada in Vancouver.
Canada still gets 3 spots in the Olympics. Chan at #2 and Ten at #11 adds up to 13. Chipeur was #12 which would have cost Canada a spot but Jeremy Ten came through.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Canada still gets 3 spots in the Olympics. Chan at #2 and Ten at #11 adds up to 13. Chipeur was #12 which would have cost Canada a spot but Jeremy Ten came through.
Jeremy Ten was 17th. Denis Ten who was 7th does not skate for Canada. Vaughn Chipeur was 12th. 12+2=14=two spots for Canada.

There was a Jeremy in 11th - Jeremy Abbott. The US men already have three spots, though, because Evan Lysacek and Brandon Mroz did so well.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I'm not sure if you could read Evan's lips after he landed his 2nd 3A, but he said, "Oh, my God!" with a look of total amazement in his eyes. I was sitting right behind the judges, and I laughed with a couple of ladies sitting next to me.:laugh:

LOL. I think they should have a special 'high distribution" points for such thing:)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmm. I have mixed feelings on this competition. On one hand, many guys skated well. It was pretty exciting too, not knowing who would win between Lysacek and Joubert until that shocking fall on the double axel.

On the other hand, nobody was amazing. I'm not too pleased with our World Champion. He was clean and is a very good spinner but I think his skating is quite plain (in terms of World Champion level). Lysacek simply isn't an artist and that goes for both his musicality and his skating skills. He isn't one of the best jumpers out there either. Basically was just in the right place at the right time. But good for him, I guess.

I must congratulate Denis Ten. What a great debut! At the beginning of his skate I felt bad for him because my section of the audience was paying more attention to Kurt Browning in the commentator booth, laughing at how he couldn't put his tie on correctly. Denis sure did shut them up, though.

I'm upset at Nobunari Oda for doing an "extra" combination yet again (and even more upset that this CoP problem hasn't been fixed yet). I'm also a bit upset at Kozuka's marks. The judges don't seem to understand subtle. I have a feeling he will get his due during the next Olympic cycle, though.

On to the Women's event!

dancingqueen

On the Ice
Just watched Brian’s FP. I really liked the program. It’s a shame he fell on his last jump 2A . I wanted him to win…

Oda’s 4-3 combo was beautiful and looked effortless.

Jeremy's score was much lower than I thought.

Germanice

On the Ice
So it's Lysacek .... :rofl: In Germany we would say "Super-GAU" for Men's skating ... Isn't it just cheering then to realize he's NOT going to be the next Olympic Champion? :biggrin:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
From the media

Tomas Verner is very angry... at himself:
“I'm too angry to talk right now,” he said. “I had it [a medal] in my hands till the end and I missed my easiest jumps ever. I don't know how to punish myself. They were stupid mistakes. My performance was okay. I enjoyed the crowd. I was close to being happy, but I'm not any more.

"...Fourth place in the world is not bad, but I've already been top four. I want a medal."
Don't punish yourself, Tomas! Just work hard and sort out whatever mental issues are holding you back. I want him to medal, too. A medal at Worlds would be good. A podium finish at the Olympics would be even better! But he has to stop skating to tango music, even if he does it well. A pity he'll have to change is lovely SP, but after two seasons, it'll need to be something new.

Evan, meanwhile, is more than just happy - he seems to have had a mystical experience:
"I feel this cosmic connection to skaters, the strong skating history of the U.S, and I think that's kind of cool,"
I'm not sure what to say about that. But good for him!

Joubert is sad and disappointed, but looking forward to next season:
"I came here to win the gold medal so I’m a little disappointed,” he said. “This was a practice for the Olympic Games. I just want to be Olympic champion."
Bonne chance, Brian!

And no event can be complete without a complaint about the judging - this time, courtesy of Jeremy Abbott:
“I really felt much more like myself today,” he said. “I didn’t really feel that the mistakes I made were bad enough to justify the score.”
I didn't see his LP - is he right? Either way, even with 3 spots, there are enough good skaters to make US Nats a very big deal next year!

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I just had a realization. :laugh:

At last year's Worlds, Johnny Weir secured the US men 3 spots for this worlds.

And Evan occupied that 3rd spot this year.

So, Evan is World Champion because of Johnny. :rofl:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Oh, poor Tomas...

When he landed that beautiful 4T-3T and his first few jumping passes, I thought he'd medal too...then he kept doubling his jumps. I'm disappointed for him too.

As for Jeremy, I think his PCS took a hit because of his low SP placement. But to be fair, his PCS weren't THAT low but his tech score (60.02) was truly dismal. I think he may have underrotated some of his jumps in addition to the errors. Pity, because his LP is lovely.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Btw...

For me its the Quads, I want to see HUGE quads and BIG technical jumps, double jumps are for Junior skaters so to reward Patrick for 'playing it safe' is sad to me., I want to see two quads and 8 triples IN EVERY PROGRAM, and Joubert brings that.

Joubert has NEVER "brought that". The most he's ever done is 2 Quads and 7 Triples in a program. He hasn't even done multiple Quads in a program in over 2 years.

stickle

Rinkside
Joubert has NEVER "brought that". The most he's ever done is 2 Quads and 7 Triples in a program. He hasn't even done multiple Quads in a program in over 2 years.
And even without doing the quads, he still hasn't improved his basic skating. The quality of his edges and transitions between his jumps is still subpar. That he would get higher marks on those elements than Patrick is just wrong.

It's great to read Patrick's interviews and see what a level headed charming kid he is and how happy he was with the silver medal. For a barely 18 year old kid in only his second world championships, it truly is a great accomplishment and he has every right to be very proud.