Mens' LP | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Mens' LP

antmanb

Record Breaker
Wow - so imagine if Johnny hadn't skated at nationals, petitioned for bye to worlds, got it and kicked Evan off the world team?!

Ant <who still hasn't watched the LPs so has nothing constructive to say about the skating!>

elanna

Rinkside
Congratulations to all the medalists, especially to Evan! :rock: He`s been just AMASING at these Worlds! I do think HE can be the one who will break the CURSE of pre-olympic gold!!!:rock::clap: Very sad for Joubert though...

figuristka

Medalist
Was on in the morning but slept in, hope it comes on again:( iam abit shocked Evan won but looking forward to seeing it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
And even without doing the quads, he still hasn't improved his basic skating. The quality of his edges and transitions between his jumps is still subpar. That he would get higher marks on those elements than Patrick is just wrong.

It's great to read Patrick's interviews and see what a level headed charming kid he is and how happy he was with the silver medal. For a barely 18 year old kid in only his second world championships, it truly is a great accomplishment and he has every right to be very proud.
Actually, Joubert's skating skills are considered by most people to be very good, and his technique on some of the jumps is excellent. It's his transitions that aren't always as good as they should be.

I find Patrick Chan's tech content subpar, as evidenced by his regularly having a base mark under 70 in his LPs (he only went higher than that once this season - at TEB, 71.60). Considering his comments this week about the difficulty in his programs as compared to past and present skaters, esp. in light of what his scores show that he's really doing, I find his behavior and attitude less than charming. However, I will give him the benefit of the doubt because the more I think of it, the more I suspect that he was encouraged in this by Skate Canada officials - it seems completely out of character compared with what we've seen from him in the past. Mr. Colson would never have let that happen!

I get the feeling Johnny Weir will actually say something nice about Evan's win. I'm going to stay tuned for updates on his website.

Last edited:

london_calling

On the Ice
Wow Congratulations to Evan! I was planning on watching the last two groups of the Men's free skate but conked out while they were still resurfacing. My dog woke me up at 1:30am and I checked the results but they barely registered with me.

Very happy to see Patrick get the silver as he is one of my favorites. Still sad to see Canada will have only on two spots for both Men and Pairs and likely dance as well.

And Brian...well I do feel bad for him but I also hope that next year he gets some real choreography and remembers that it's not all about the jumps.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Evan!!! Frank Carroll must also be so thrilled for him. :clap: :clap:

I am very, very happy for Patrick as well. :clap: :clap:

I have nothing personal against Brian (loved his Matrix program and am very impressed with his technical skills, have cheered him on in competition after competition), but I hope that he will ultimately realize that skating isn't (and IMHO, shouldn't) only be about quads.

I was hoping that Takahiko would finish higher, but there's always next season.

Danale

On the Ice
Just looking at the men’s comp (again) and here’re my two cents:
First of all, congratulation to the winners! In fact, to all the contenders, who did a great job. The pressure of competing at this level is enormous. So way to go :clap:
Second, for proper discloser, seeing the competition, I wish Brian had won. Just cause he looked like a disappointed puppy, whose skating gods have abandoned him. IMO he really improved his spins, footwork and transition this season. Honestly, don’t get why people ride on him so much, It’s ok to be unhappy after you wanted something so bad and trained so hard for it. who said he’s unhappy with others? he tried so bad to put on a brave face for the ceremony … the tough (and yummy) cookie that he is :biggrin:
Evan was the worthy winner for skating clean. I don’t like his attitude, in general, but skating-wise he did the job. Somehow, his skating is not my cup of tea, seems too floppy, like a scarecrow (Just my personal taste, sorry fans). I felt he lacked in artistry, his PCS should have been lower IMO. But, hey, the judge went with that, so … all in all, I’m glad he got his confidence back, and got to win in front of home crowd.
Chan, looking beautiful CH, SS and TR. But he didn’t shine as he did in previous competitions. And I don’t think he was marked down. Don’t like the ballet style so much, but I would definitely put his PCS above Evan’s. it’s an amazing achievement and he should learn to “speak” on the ice. He does himself more justice there.
Very briefly, Taka is an amazing skater. Such lightness and effortlessness in the jumps and other elements. For me, he needs to improve in his delivery: charisma and presence. I think this is what partially pushed Brian and Evan upward. I have no doubt he’ll be serious contender next year.
Jeremy, sweet guy, I’m sure he’ll learn from this experience and come back strong next year.

Few more general comments:
1. Of course the Canadians will like the Canadians, the Americans will cheer on the Americans, and the Brits on the Brits and so on. But I wish some commentators will try to be slightly more objective.
2. It was very disappointing to see the mostly American-Canadians crowd push their skaters only. Almost being forced to cheer on the others. Too bad. I guess the popularity is declining. Or maybe the crowd was mostly grannies (as someone mentioned) and the needed to conserve their strength :laugh:
3. All the talk about the corrupt judges and robbing etc. IMHO, no system will ever please everyone, especially when you favor someone. And if judging was absolute and there was no room for personal taste/judgment they could have one judge and not a panel.
4. Really missed Johnny and Stephan :frown:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I think I'm going to cry!!!!!!

What the hell was Brian thinking?
I knew it was going to be toughh for him as he has real trouble skating in final position plus he was skating after Evan. With Evan and Patrick's performances, Brian shouldn't have played it safe, but should have done what he used to do: give it all he's got. He should have gone for more than one quad, he should have done three combos, he should have done something other than a 2A at the end and he should have gone wild on the ice. He is only 7 points behind Evan, he could have one easily!!!

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/27032009/1/patinage-artistique-deception-pour-joubert-soiree-de-gala-pour-lysacek.html

"I am very disappointed not to be world champ for a second time. I'm paying for by bad begining this season. I wasn't professional enough and I lacked in confidence. I changed my whole program and at one point I felt lost on the ice. I didn't know where I was. I didn't stop calculating and thinking. The fall on the final 2A was the cherry on the cake"

Brian do not calculate, it doesn't suite you! Just skate your heart out!!!

I don't know weather it was Brian or Jean-Christophe's decision to chose a cautious tactic, but it was an awful one. Jean-Christophe should have just given him a kick in the backside and told him to quad the hell out of the other guys.

Oh well, the world champ never is olympic champ the next year, so I suppose it's good that Brian didn't win.:laugh:

I don't really like Evan's skating, but he won fair and square, so congrats to him.:thumbsup:

I'm so upset for Tomas; He did such silly mistakes. He could have easily won the silver medal!

Danale

On the Ice
NatachaHatawa;383552 I don't know weather it was Brian or Jean-Christophe's decision to chose a cautious tactic said:
You'd think he learned from last year, wouldn't you?
I hope it gets him mad enough for next season :laugh:!
And I hope he gets a decent choreographer he can relate to (like Kurt??)

figuristka

Medalist
Have yet to watch this but i remember even Kurt commenting that Brian often changed his program and changed the choreography unfortunately.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I just saw Denis Ten's performance and I couldn't believe how good he is! And at only 15 too! I love his jumps and his footwork and he looks so adorable too. What a future he has!:yes:

evplu

Rinkside
After seeing the last group again I´m really sad for Thomas Verner.
His quad combo was fantastic!

And I love Brians quad and 3/3 Axel combo with all his tribles!!!
The fall on the 2 axel. So heartbreaking. I think that he could or should maybe win silver with his performance.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, I´m very glad for Lysacek´s win!!! He is such a wonderful competitor, rises to the occasion and delivers when it´s really needed. Fortunately Morz skated well enough to ensure 3 places for USA in OG.... Abbott failed to do his job, the curse of being the US champion at Worlds? And soo many people had written Lysacek off, hihi, I´m looking forward to next Hersh article. Tarasova´s "Rhapsody in Blue" choreography was lucky for Kulik, now for Lysacek, also. Anyway, I hope very much that no more Tarasova choreography and costumes for Evan!!!

I felt sorry for Joubert, could not believe my eyes as I saw him having such an awful fall in double axelof all jumps, LOL.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Have yet to watch this but i remember even Kurt commenting that Brian often changed his program and changed the choreography unfortunately.

Most skaters do it's not just Brian. Sometimes the choreography just doesn't let you set up that jump etc etc and the skaters and coaches change it.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
WOW, I´m very glad for Lysacek´s win!!! He is such a wonderful competitor, rises to the occasion and delivers when it´s really needed. Fortunately Morz skated well enough to ensure 3 places for USA in OG.... Abbott failed to do his job, the curse of being the US champion at Worlds? And soo many people had written Lysacek off, hihi, I´m looking forward to next Hersh article.

I wouldn't if I were you - when has Hersh ever admitted that he's wrong?

He'll save his next article to lay into the ladies competition if they give him a chance.

Ant

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
You'd think he learned from last year, wouldn't you?
I hope it gets him mad enough for next season :laugh:!
And I hope he gets a decent choreographer he can relate to (like Kurt??)

You said it!!!

Here's an interview in L'equipe that I've translated as best as I can, alhtough my tranbslating skills are about as good as Brian's calculating skills!;) Ok, maybe not that bad...

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/27032009/1/patinage-artistique-deception-pour-joubert-soiree-de-gala-pour-lysacek.html

Brian Joubert, you seemed really sad after earning your thirteenth international medal?

Yes, I'm very disappointed not to be world champs for the second time. One really grudges one's self when one does such stupidities. I changed my whole program and at one point I felt lost on the ice. Ididn't know where I was anymore. I didn't stop calculating or thinking. The fall on the final 2A was the cherry on the cake. After, I was behind/late [on my program], I had to hurry on my spins and I l lost some levels. Physically, I was ready and I could have done a fabulous program, that's why I am angry with myself. I paid for my bad begining this season, it's logical. I wasn't professional enough and I lacked in confidence.

Why didn't you do the two quads planned?

I told myself that with a clean program, with all the levels, a quad, two 3A and a 3-3 combo, it was enough to be world champ. But I had always trained in Poitiers with the aim of doing two quads in the FP. And here for tactical reasons we decided to do just one. It's a mistake and TT told me so [backstage]: Never change your program. I could have made a mistake on the 4S, it would have ok all the same because I wouldn't have been destabilised because of it. I was set to this program and I shouldn't have changed it.

Is a medal at the games still your goal?

Of course. I will have to learn from these mistakes to build my season. My failures at the begining of the season made me lose my confidence but I'm not dead. As from tomorrow the 2010 season starts and I can't alloow any mistakes. As early as the Masters I will present my Olympic program. I'll have a plan and I'll stick to it as from May, when we'll be preparing the new season.

So that's what Tatiana was telling him! I was so curious to know.
Brian has made a just analysis of the situation, which is great as in the past he didn't always do so. All that I canb say is: Vazy Baou!!!!!!:agree:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
When I saw 798 notes, I knew something was up. I haven't been able to follow the competition, so I just saw the news.

Congratulations Evan !!!!! .... Way to go !!!! :clap:

oxade21

Match Penalty
You said it!!!

I told myself that with a clean program, with all the levels, a quad, two 3A and a 3-3 combo, it was enough to be world champ. But I had always trained in Poitiers with the aim of doing two quads in the FP. And here for tactical reasons we decided to do just one. It's a mistake and TT told me so [backstage]: Never change your program. I could have made a mistake on the 4S, it would have ok all the same because I wouldn't have been destabilised because of it. I was set to this program and I shouldn't have changed it.

LOL. Are we going to see coach change?

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Why didn't you do the two quads planned?

So that's what Tatiana was telling him! I was so curious to know.

She told him after he was done skating? Ouch, that's sort of rubs it in. It must have been painful to hear after having had a bad skate.