Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Call me dumb, but who is Miss Universe? Johnny?
Anyway, whether you agree with Stojko or not, I don't think what anyone says including every poster on GS has the "truth" on what's right in figure skating. If there was some black and white thing, then we wouldn't have these extensive discussions about artistry vs. technical, the good and bad of the COP, etc.
Everyone has a different approach to skating..and those different approaches have been rewarded over the years.
I swear talking about figure skating is as bad as talking about religion sometimes...

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
So ... everyone who doesn't agree with Stojko .. isn't a man?

Well, I'm not a man either way so ... whoopee?

Wait .. are you talking about Stojko or Plushenko?

I told about Stojko, but they are both a real man. They are not a man, becuase they know about difficulties of quad, but they prefer don't talk about it. I am pretty sure,that Lysacek, if he mentally ok, knows, who was the real Champion today. So, if he is a man enough, he will know, that the taste of the winning of GM will never be sweet.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Congrats to the winner, who have never done a quad, because he just doesnt know how to do it. And Plushenko, who have made it brilliantly, is second. Thats canadian justice lol.
Plushenko should made a "women" program with doubles and triples, such as Lysacek, who falled on a training when tryied to made a quad.
So you can continue saying something like " Evan is God, I wanna children from him, he is the real champion". But its obvious that Plushenko got robbed.
American wins in Canada - its totally "fair".

Who said that? Please post the quote here.

And how the heck is that Canadian justice? Evan's not even Canadian!

screech

Final Flight
Except that Dai would have scored lower than Evan had they gone for the same contents. (Case in point: see the SP) Daisuke SP is a lot better, but lower score.
Dai needs a quad for the judges to put him over a clean Evan. A clean Dai would place lower than a clean Evan, at least that's how the judges will put them.

Dai got more than 2 points more than Evan for PCS, so that could have made a big difference if they had done the same content.

One thing about Dai, I know he's tried the quad in the past as well, but how often was he given credit for it? IIRC most times he attempted it it was downgraded, so with that being the case, it wasn't quite worth the risk.

Nobu on the other hand, definitely should have gone for it, because his quad is quite possibly among the best I've ever seen.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I told about Stojko, but they are both a real man. They are not a man, becuase they know about difficulties of quad, but they prefer don't talk about it. I am pretty sure,that Lysacek, if he mentally ok, knows, who was the real Champion today. So, if he is a man enough, he will know, that the taste of the winning of GM will never be sweet.

Maybe you should go talk to him about it. Set up an interview. It would be interesting to watch or to read about.

Anyone have Evan's mailing address or phone number or something so Ice Lady can interview him?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Well...I doubt any of us here will get to go inside Evan's head, so we'll probably never find that out, won't we?
So wait...if you're only a man if you complete a quad...does that mean that Mao Asada is ungraceful and not ladylike because she does triple axels? Haha.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
It's no problem to see black or white in this question. It's definitely Plushenko, the real OC. He did everything and did it well. Not as brilliant, as he can do it, but brilliant compare to Lysacek. But it's normal for the Games in NA, Let me say Slutzkaya 2002 or Sale Pelletier. Maybee it's fair, because USA pay a lot of money for Olympics, so they want to have their own laws...

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
Well...I doubt any of us here will get to go inside Evan's head, so we'll probably never find that out, won't we?
So wait...if you're only a man if you complete a quad...does that mean that Mao Asada is ungraceful and not ladylike because she does triple axels? Haha.

No, it shows that she is better than Lysacek, because she is more graceful and has better techncal abbilities. haha If they compete against each other, they will get same marks

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Why do I get the feeling that some people only registered for GS today so they could contest the outcome of the Men's Figure Skating event?

Oh well, no matter. Difference in opinion couldn't hurt, I guess.

On another note, does anyone know if Johnny will be performing at the gala or is it just for the top four/five finishers?

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
KOZUKA was the best man of the night. Yeah, he fell on one jump (a Triple Axel placed later in the program than ANY other man attempted), but he did the Quad and all the combinations and skated with the most freedom and emotion and the best speed and edges. He is amazing.

Johnny was definitely robbed. He was the second best of the night and easily deserved to be placed over Chan (the score he got was absolutely ridiculous) and, sadly, also Lambiel. I am so sad about what Lambiel did. It was the most lifeless performance of his entire career. Even none of the spins were amazing. The score he got was also ridiculous.

Lysacek...ugh. No artistry. Very sad to see him win this thing. It's not like Plushenko offered much in the way of artistry either but at least he had a little PERSONALITY in his performance. Lysacek did deserve to win, though, because he was actually superior technically. Stronger spins and footwork and he did everything he needed to. I wonder why Plushenko didn't do a Triple Flip in his program. If he had done a Flip instead of a Double Axel, he would have won.

I'm happy to see Takahashi on the podium. THANK GOD he at least was there (the worst possible podium would have been 1. Lysacek, 2. Plushenko, 3. Joubert and it came really close to that). It wasn't his most inspired performance, but he still displayed better skating skills and interpretation than Lysacek and Plushenko.

Oscilla

On the Ice
- Oda: what drama; first I thought he had seriously hurt himself; but the lace thing... Sigh. Bad timing. Brave of him to continue as if nothing happened. Too bad; if he had skated cleanly with a quad; who knows, he could have medalled...

He could have possibly medalled even without the quad. He lost -2 for costume malfunction (broken lace), -1 for the fall, ~-3GoE for the 3L, and positive GoEs that he always gets for 3L. Not to mention the PCS would be probably higher with a clean performance without that disruptive break.

Some news from the Japanese articles: Nobunari didn't go for the quad because in the practices he was so nervous that his jumps went AWOL, not only 4T but also 3A. Morozov decided to take it out, because he feared that Nobunari might make too many mistakes in his program.

As for the shoelace... This was really sad. Actually, his shoelace had already been broken before the LP - but Nobunari feared that if he'll change the lace to a new one, his boot will have a different feel (because new laces are stiffer), so he decided to just tie the old one in a knot. However, the lace started to get loose during the performance even before the fall on 3L... Nobunari said he could feel it getting looser and looser, but he didn't want to stop his performance.

He looked totally heartbroken and mad at himself in the interview and he spoke through tears. I can't even imagine how he must feel now - he managed to land the jumps that he couldn't land in practice, but it all fell apart because of a broken piece of string. :(

I just hope he stays until Sochi - he improved so much this season. And showed a great promise of being able to learn to manage his nerves - despite being petrified and messing up his jumps in practice he could stay on his skates when it really mattered (until the lace broke). I think that if he combines his skating technique with expressiveness that he shows in Galas (or TEB LP, SA SP, etc.) and glues it with solid nerves, he could be really difficult to beat.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
KOZUKA was the best man of the night. Yeah, he fell on one jump (a Triple Axel placed later in the program than ANY other man attempted), but he did the Quad and all the combinations and skated with the most freedom and emotion and the best speed and edges. He is amazing.

Johnny was definitely robbed. He was the second best of the night and easily deserved to be placed over Chan (the score he got was absolutely ridiculous) and, sadly, also Lambiel. I am so sad about what Lambiel did. It was the most lifeless performance of his entire career. Even none of the spins were amazing. The score he got was also ridiculous.

Lysacek...ugh. No artistry. Very sad to see him win this thing. It's not like Plushenko offered much in the way of artistry either but at least he had a little PERSONALITY in his performance. Lysacek did deserve to win, though, because he was actually superior technically. Stronger spins and footwork and he did everything he needed to. I wonder why Plushenko didn't do a Triple Flip in his program. If he had done a Flip instead of a Double Axel, he would have won.

I'm happy to see Takahashi on the podium. THANK GOD he at least was there (the worst possible podium would have been 1. Lysacek, 2. Plushenko, 3. Joubert and it came really close to that). It wasn't his most inspired performance, but he still displayed better skating skills and interpretation than Lysacek and Plushenko.

No, he wouldn't. The judges would give him lower PES, or more -GOE. I knew it after SP, as Lysacek got rid. scores for it. And objectively he did enough.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
It was sarcasm, but there were a lot of posters like that:

I'm over the moon that Evan won.

Lol, I know. So what ? Canada/USA is North America. So its obvious, that canada helps usa and contrary.

Pffbt. So she can't be happy that Evan won? Okay. If that's what you think, I can't do anything about it. *shrugs*

As for the second comment. I don't even know where to begin because I have no idea what to say to that.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

Kozuka is definitely a force to be reckoned with... he is young, talented, and with some more experience, he should definitely be the full package. Oda could offer that too if he ups his artistry, but I have the highest hopes fo Kozuka of all the young skaters.

As for interpretation... according to the judges, Plushenko had the best interpretation of the night *giggle*. How that came to be absolutely boggles my mind.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
The best thing, that Plushenko got much less GOE also for S and R. Are the judges crazy? Did they see this "5 cm over ice" Jumps of Lysacek. Only in this elements, Plushenko should have over 2 points more in GOE. But, they gave Gold before competition. They showed us, how fair they are.lol So if Plushenko would do another tripple, they would give him 5 Points less in PES. Maybee USA just bought this medal in man and will give one to Canada in dance. Very possible

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Kozuka is definitely a force to be reckoned with... he is young, talented, and with some more experience, he should definitely be the full package. Oda could offer that too if he ups his artistry, but I have the highest hopes fo Kozuka of all the young skaters.

And he's cute to boot. Teehee. Oda's looks nice too ... when he doesn't have his hair gelled back.

Oh goodness, I'm being soooo shallow.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
KOZUKA was the best man of the night. Yeah, he fell on one jump (a Triple Axel placed later in the program than ANY other man attempted), but he did the Quad and all the combinations and skated with the most freedom and emotion and the best speed and edges. He is amazing

Kozuka has displayed remarkable skating in the past, and some of that still remains. But he was once again hobbled by a program so utterly wrong for him. Even though what he was skating to was practically muzak, the post-rock ouerve still demanded more wildness and abandonment than Kozuka put in. In fact, Kozuka's movements were heistant and timid. His edging and footwork are great, but from the waist up, he was juniorish. The choreography and music are completely unsuited to him, and that can't help but be reflected in some of the PCS.

P.S. Best speed and edging still goes to Chan.