Johnny Weir article...o dear o dear | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir article...o dear o dear

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Fans are allowed to be biased, that's the difference.

What the sport needs is wise, artistic-minded, impartial arbitrators. Like me. :cool:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
that was what I was commenting at, it seems we agree with the judges only when we like the outcome...

Maybe that is the way with you, but I have watched figure skating well over 40 years and in almost every case I have had the same opinion with the judges about the podium (and I have not always liked all the skaters on the podium). The scores may be a different matter, but that does not matter so much since the order of the podium is right...

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
There are lions and then there are sheep.

I'm not someone who finds it intelligent to constantly agree with a group of people who have established their judging benchmark as being open to vote buying, ignoring better performances from skaters who aren't "the favorites", and often not even having a clear understanding of both artistry and the technical specifics of the sport.

Kypma

Final Flight
There are lions and then there are sheep.

I'm not someone who finds it intelligent to constantly agree with a group of people who have established their judging benchmark as being open to vote buying, ignoring better performances from skaters who aren't "the favorites", and often not even having a clear understanding of both artistry and the technical specifics of the sport.

Blades, I'm not sure the issue is really about your opinion (everyone can have their opinion about skaters, performances, and anything else in life), but rather that you seem to be insinuating that you are the sole poster on this board to know the true value of performances, both technically and artistically, and that your opinion should be treated as a fact. I think that's what's starting to annoy people.

Unfortunately, I have no comment on the Johnny Weir situation because I just haven't been following his career closely enough to have a proper defendable opinion.

i love to skate

Medalist
Blades, I'm not sure the issue is really about your opinion (everyone can have their opinion about skaters, performances, and anything else in life), but rather that you seem to be insinuating that you are the sole poster on this board to know the true value of performances, both technically and artistically, and that your opinion should be treated as a fact. I think that's what's starting to annoy people.
:clap::clap:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
That's definitely not what I'm insinuating. However, if you want your opinion to be seen as equally valuable you better provide reasoning. Anyone can have an opinion but the sole trait of being a human being, and thus naturally having some kind of opinion, doesn't mean you are worth taking seriously. I go to great lengths to explain myself and it's pretty irritating when someone flies by and says something along the lines of "nope, I agree with the judges" and then offers no insight or basis of expertise for that statement.

Yeesh, honestly, where is Joesitz when you need him? There's someone I can disagree with properly since he understood the nuances, described his opinions, and wasn't Nationalistic. He proved his knowledge and objectivity, which means when we disagree I can respect what he's saying because I know he has a worthwhile point of view.

Only Mathman, doris, and Pogue have done that recently.

seniorita

Record Breaker
yes but wouldnt it be boring if only the five of you would discuss with eachother in the forum?:biggrin:

I really really joke :)

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
"De gustibus non est disputandum"--there's no disputing taste. That's one of the reasons we have a discussion forum. I don't have a problem with someone whose tastes differ from mine, and also, I do not find it irritating if someone thinks that their judgement is the best. If they did not have faith in their own judgement, why would they post their opinions in the first place? I think strong opinions are okay, as long as people remain polite to one another.

The skating season is pretty much underway, already; perhaps Joe will return. That would really be nice. I have become very lazy about posting, for a good many reasons and excuses (I consider reasons and excuses to be two different things ). :laugh:

For me, figure skating is about whom I enjoy watching on the ice. The judging rules may change from year to year, but my favorite skaters tend to stay my favorites, and Johnny Weir is definitely one of those. :)

I always have sound reasons for my opinions. Michelle Kwan deserves to win everything. No one else deserves to win anything. :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I always have sound reasons for my opinions. Michelle Kwan deserves to win everything. No one else deserves to win anything. :yes:

:rolleyes: dork :laugh:

I appreciate term papers, but I also enjoy short quips. Thankfully writing full, long winded posts is NOT a requirement for participating on the boards.

i love to skate

Medalist
:rolleyes: dork :laugh:

I appreciate term papers, but I also enjoy short quips. Thankfully writing full, long winded posts is NOT a requirement for participating on the boards.

:clap:I completely agree. It takes greater skill to be able to express yourself in a short and concise manner, rather than writing posts that go on, and on, and on, and on.... ;)