ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS | Page 40 | Golden Skate

ISU Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS

mot

On the Ice
A little trivia about artistic gymnastics and figure skating - Koko Tsurumi, a Japanese National champion in Women's artistic gymnastics in 5 consecutive years and 2009 World all-around bronze medallist, said that she was vey impressed and inspired by Yu-Na's performance at Vancouver. Ok, how much Yu-Na's influence is apparent in Koko's floor routine can be questionable, but anyway, she found Yu-Na's performance as inspiration for her gymnastics routine.

BTW, women's gymnastics are called 'women's', not 'ladies'... tells us something about different attitudes towards the sports?

Last edited:
What is campy?

“Camp” is sort of like, it’s so bad it’s good. A performance is “campy” if it is deliberately banal or clichéd. I would say that Ryan Bradley’s Mozart program is “campy.” James Bond is “campy” because it is a tongue-in-cheek spoof on spy thrillers. RuPaul is camp. Sometimes something turns into camp even if that wasn’t the original intention, like the Star Trek TV series ("Beam me up, Scotty!" :laugh: )

Campy movies often acquire a cult following. There was a science fiction movie in the 1950s where the earth was invaded by robots from outer space. But the producers didn’t have enough money to buy robot costumes, so they got some gorilla costumes instead. Then they changed the plot to have the invading robots put on gorilla suits to confuse the earth people.

janetfan

Match Penalty
“Camp” is sort of like, it’s so bad it’s good. A performance is “campy” if it is deliberately banal or clichéd. I would say that Ryan Bradley’s Mozart program is “campy.” James Bond is “campy” because it is a tongue-in-cheek spoof on spy thrillers. RuPaul is camp. Sometimes something turns into camp even if that wasn’t the original intention, like the Star Trek TV series ("Beam me up, Scotty!" :laugh: )

Campy movies often acquire a cult following. There was a science fiction movie in the 1950s where the earth was invaded by robots from outer space. But the producers didn’t have enough money to buy robot costumes, so they got some gorilla costumes instead. Then they changed the plot to have the invading robots put on gorilla suits to confuse the earth people.

Or to give a visual example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpFJNcxnE0

This was considered serious and even "hot" back in 1988 but watching it today it looks pretty campy to me.

Was Kati putting us all on :think:

mot

On the Ice

I think there is a difference in the chief meaning of 'camp' between American and British English. When I see the word 'camp' or 'campy', the first thing that springs in my mind is something 'effiminate'. So I was a bit confused when I read you describe 'James Bond' as 'campy' - now it makes a lot of sense. (I am learning a lot about American English in this forum!)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Mathman! :laugh: I didnt know this info about the costumes, I would think it is deliberately on the script, but the movie is very famous, robots and monsters, something like that is called? There is an annual festival here with outter space B movies, if you like these kind of cinema(i do, i do especially when I can spot the spaceship is actually a tuna can and the fact that they wear masks but suddently it is forgotten on the script later and they can breath oxygen in every planet they travel amuses me so much), have you seen Aelita and Kin-Dza-Dza? To get ideas about your project?;)

My worst campy movie ever is S. Kings movie with a crazy dog, Kujo? I dont think I ever got over the movie and how it ruined St Bernardo dogs for me:unsure:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think it's time to rename this thread appropriately: All That Are Campy (formerly) Is Figure Skating Art Or Sport (formerly) Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS.

Happy Birthday Mathman, Seniorita, and Dorispulaski!

Robeye

Final Flight
I haven't followed the conversation much(TOO MANY UNKNOWN WORDS LATELY :p) , but I think if I want to Art I l choose the Paris Opera(par example), skating for me is mostly a sport( my simple thinking is that without the music it would still be a sport, without the technical requirements it is not), that demands strength, rythm and grace and happens to enchant me more (much more) than ..golf.

what is campy? And many more phrases I cant even spell!
Ahh, philly-stines, da pack a' youse! :laugh: (I'm from Boston, and we like putting down the home of the Eagles and Sixers in our broad accents :biggrin:).

While your words cannot be denied ;), the question is: would skating be more enjoyable for you without the artistic aspect? I can't say this is true for me (and I say that as an enthusiastic golfer, another poster child for "technical" sports. And people should really give golf a chance; in what other sport can you show up in colorful plaid pants and not be told to go to the back entrance to make your delivery? :p).

Robeye

Final Flight
OK, having fortified myself by looking up Rochefoucauld and Fontaine on Wikipedia, I now feel prepared to take up my end of the conversation.
Yeah, fortified yourself, exactly. Try the blue cheese variety next time. It's awesome.;)
I think jazz has already had its extinction event (Miles Davis died in 1991). Now jazz has drifted off into “fusion” and other watered-down species of the genus “not-jazz.”
Does this mean nominating Chuck Mangione for the Jazz Hall of Fame would be out of the question? He's got melody :p.
The other question is, which do you like best, the playful youth of an art form (Louis Armstrong, as represented by the toe-tapping Hot Fives and Hot Sevens recordings), the secure mastery of adulthood (Dizzy Gillespie, the Plushenko of the jazz trumpet ;)), or the reflective wisdom of maturity (Miles). (Louis Armstrong complained about bebop – “But who’s playing the melody?”))

Personally, I like the sprightly and tuneful symphonies of Haydn much better than, say, the grand, loud works that Mahler wrote for the 150-piece orchestra (no offense to Virtue and Moir :)). Plus, Haydn's symphonies are shorter.
In answer to your question, I like them all, but if this is strictly multiple choice (from your list), I choose Satchmo, followed by Dizzy, depending on whether I'm in an adult mood or feeling my inner child (I have a weakness for marking down more than one answer). And it just occurs to me that both of them share nicknames with baseball greats. Hmmm, coincidence?:think:

Ahh, philly-stines, da pack a' youse! :laugh: (I'm from Boston, and we like putting down the home of the Eagles and Sixers in our broad accents :biggrin:).

While your words cannot be denied ;), the question is: would skating be more enjoyable for you without the artistic aspect? I can't say this is true for me (and I say that as an enthusiastic golfer, another poster child for "technical" sports. And people should really give golf a chance; in what other sport can you show up in colorful plaid pants and not be told to go to the back entrance to make your delivery? :p).

I'm with you, Robeye! I know that the sport wouldn't do it for me without the music and the interpretation thereof. I know this because I go for long years without viewing gymnastics, and I never look back longingly at YouTube videos of gymnasts. (I remember that there is music in the floor exercise, but for me, as we've discussed, it doesn't really count because there's little to no interpretation.) Here are some other points:
1. I can just barely imagine singles skating without music. But what on earth would they have to do to modify pairs skating? And they'd have to abolish ice dancing completely.
2. No music--no sequins? What would be the point of skating without music in a costume? How could we explain THAT to non-fans?
3. Hmmm...skating without music and probably without costumes. (Team leotards, maybe.) That would draw in as many new fans as, maybe, bowling. Quick, everyone: how many TV hours does bowling get these days? Aren't we trying to move skating up in people's notice, not down?

janetfan

Match Penalty
In answer to your question, I like them all, but if this is strictly multiple choice (from your list), I choose Satchmo, followed by Dizzy, depending on whether I'm in an adult mood or feeling my inner child (I have a weakness for marking down more than one answer). And it just occurs to me that both of them share nicknames with baseball greats. Hmmm, coincidence?:think:

Are you referring to Leroy "Satchel" Paige? Or am I forgetting a ball player nicknamed "Satchmo"?

Robeye

Final Flight
I think it's time to rename this thread appropriately: All That Are Campy (formerly) Is Figure Skating Art Or Sport (formerly) Where Will Worlds BE (formerly) JAPAN QUAKE FOR WORLDS.

Happy Birthday Mathman, Seniorita, and Dorispulaski!
The thing is, SkateFiguring, Where Will World Be is now known. What else is there to talk about? :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Happy birthday to senorita and Mathman! I want you both to know that our horoscope for the year calls for us to have real financial success this year; how I don't know, but the stars say so
:biggrin: It would definitely be nice.

Robeye

Final Flight
I'm with you, Robeye! I know that the sport wouldn't do it for me without the music and the interpretation thereof. I know this because I go for long years without viewing gymnastics, and I never look back longingly at YouTube videos of gymnasts. (I remember that there is music in the floor exercise, but for me, as we've discussed, it doesn't really count because there's little to no interpretation.) Here are some other points:
1. I can just barely imagine singles skating without music. But what on earth would they have to do to modify pairs skating? And they'd have to abolish ice dancing completely.
2. No music--no sequins? What would be the point of skating without music in a costume? How could we explain THAT to non-fans?
3. Hmmm...skating without music and probably without costumes. (Team leotards, maybe.) That would draw in as many new fans as, maybe, bowling. Quick, everyone: how many TV hours does bowling get these days? Aren't we trying to move skating up in people's notice, not down?
Completely agreed on all points, Olympia. In terms of the practical ability to execute any sort of program, the lack of music would be deadly, with the magnitude of effect roughly in line with the prominence of the non-'big trick' component in scoring. While I am primarily a singles fan, I wouldn't advocate what is tantamount to the scrapping of well-established disciplines just to please my personal preferences. And IMO, even singles would become well-nigh unwatchable. Bowling would be a night at the follies in comparison ;).

Last edited:
It is easy enough to see what figure skating would be without music. Just turn down the volume. (Not that you can hear the music anyway, over the applause. :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYuRHZMNCeE

Edited to add: Here is why golf is more popular than figure skating. In golf, every duffer hits a halfway decent shot by accident once in a while. This makes us think (being deceived), you know, with practice I could actually play this game.

Figure skating, no. No matter what training regimen I put myself through I could never do anything remotely like what these kids can do.

Nor look as pretty doing it. I am as pretty as professional golfer John Daly (though not as well dressed). Alissa? I would have to say no.

Last edited: