Patrick Chan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It does't work for me, seems Patrick managed to beat or rather knocked out GS all together.
I am only able to access this page via Advanced reply and scroll down.

Skatefiguring, have you tried to modify the title with less ' ....... '? May be the extra ... is causing problems with the system's ability to handle SEO friendly pages that uses its title as part of the directory to handle html. Or maybe some browsers just can't handle it, I am using latest Chrome. (please delete this message once the system is back on track)

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I don't know... thing is I don't think Patrick realize how he can came across during written interviews, and how some of these words can be misconstrued by the antis.

It is one thing to say he hope that Plushenko would compete because it would be an honour to compete against him, then to say Plushenko should compete because he could be inspired by Patrick who does quads now and in a way he is like a mentor (what!?). I want to like Patrick more, but often at times, he does come across just a little bratty and arrogant on written interviews without all that Patrick smile to dilute the tension if you know what I mean. Given some of his faux pas in the past, including comments on Joubert and Plushy, I don't think I am alone in thinking that way.
He also said to globallethbridge that he wants to show Evan how much the FS has changed! Lovely boy. I stopped trying to understand what in his brain and mouth is long time ago.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It does't work for me, seems Patrick managed to beat or rather knocked out GS all together.
I am only able to access this page via Advanced reply and scroll down.

Skatefiguring, have you tried to modify the title with less ' ....... '? May be the extra ... is causing problems with the system's ability to handle SEO friendly pages that uses its title as part of the directory to handle html. Or maybe some browsers just can't handle it, I am using latest Chrome. (please delete this message once the system is back on track)

Only the Admin can change the thread title. I used ...... before without problems.

Actually I should have said Patrick Chan aims to beat........Phantom Patrick, to quote the champ himself. :) Now I probably need to appease The Great Phantom Of Figure Skating. :bow::bow:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is the Phantom Page. You can't see it but it's here. You can come into this dimension only through special portals.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Chan was saying that Plushenko was a mentor, but I agree that the whole motivate Plushenko line can be taken as a little arrogant. That has long been one of Chan's biggest PR problems. He says things that he may not even mean to sound arrogant, but can be taken that way. He needs to work on that.

It might sound a little too "protective", but I believe that Chan's PR problems are somehow due to his family language origin is not English origin. He says things too straight forward without ceremony. It might not be his exact meaning. But with lack of vocabulary pool to choose from, he chose the words which have stronger meaning and could be easily interpreted as disrespect. Same as how people think about Katia Gordeeva. JMO. I agree that Chan needs PR training.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
No, I don't think Chan's really has language-based problems regarding his English skills. His father has lived in Canada since age 4 and is a lawyer, and his mom immigrated when she was in college. I am Chinese/Taiwanese-American (and both my parents immigrated from Taiwan in their mid twenties) and I actually learned Chinese first, but from growing up in America, I generally don't see people with this problem (usually it happens if the person is the one that immigrated, like my parents for instance struggle with English at times). I really doubt that Patrick lacks vocabulary, especially since he went to school and is in college right now. Katia Gordeeva's wasn't born in a country where English is one of the main languages, so I think she's an entirely different story. This is all speculation on my part, though, and everyone's experiences are different...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It might sound a little too "protective", but I believe that Chan's PR problems are somehow due to his family language origin is not English origin. He says things too straight forward without ceremony. It might not be his exact meaning. But with lack of vocabulary pool to choose from, he chose the words which have stronger meaning and could be easily interpreted as disrespect. Same as how people think about Katia Gordeeva. JMO. I agree that Chan needs PR training.
No, not like Katia Gordeeva. Patrick Chan was born in Canada, grew up there, and went to Canadian schools. English is not a foreign language for him, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble articulating his thoughts. I doubt his vocabulary is lacking in any way - I imagine he'd be offended by the suggestion! No, his PR problems appear to be due to his inability to filter his thoughts, or a lack of interest in doing so; perhaps he'll some day learn that some opinions shouldn't be shared with all and sundry.

I can think of skaters whose first language is not English and who grew up in cultural contexts outside NA who were criticized when they behaved in ways that didn't fit with the NA concept of sportsmanship; if they are expected to conform to cultural codes other than their own and express themselves well in a foreign lanaguage, surely we can expect the same of someone who actually is North American and a native English speaker?

Don't get upset, Chan supporters; I don't think he makes malicious comments - at least, his intent never struck me as malicious - nor do I feel that was really out of line with this interview. And I don't think he needs to stick to cliches inly in his interviews. But boy, he could use some PR training.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I found Chan to be really complimentary. He beat his SP record in Moscow but even though Plushenko is like 28 he considers him to be so good that he wants to compete against him so that if he won his victory would mean more.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has long admired Plushenko, for his quads if nothing else, as one of the childhood idols who motivated him. I think he wants the honour and thrill of competing with him head to head in the same group. In his interview with PJ Kwong, he mentioned Lysacek and Plushenko as his main rivals, and the Japanese. So there is a lot of respect there in spite of Plush's age. But he says he is relaxed now and feels no pressure after the WC win with 3 records on which he could rest. He won't rest but the goal now is to beat that Patrick Chan from last Worlds, the Phantom Patrick. He doesn't regard himself as one of the greats and his focus is now on improving his performance and expressions. Well, he had also said he intended to work on and fine tune his spins and footwork. Since he's also training a new quad, I guess he is actually working on every aspect of his skating!

Patrick's motivtion now is beyond winning titles. He seems to want to make a mark on figure skating, e.g. by setting 300 as the 6.0 equivalent and making the scoring system easier to understand. Such motivation is no different than Plushenko aiming to win medals in 4 Olympics. Similarly, I think Yuna needs a motivation beyond the OGM to continue.

eta. I see Plushenko, Lysacek, and Chan being similar in their competitiveness, which is why Chan shows a lot respect for them as rivals. I think the Japanese trio and Abbott are less competitive even though they are great and complete skaters so the ice is often more slippery for them.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wasn't Patrick the one who said "Anyone can do a quad"?

Yes he did say that. I think he was really put on the defensive then during the Olympics, but he was correct that, as we can see, there are many skaters who can do quads, but very few who can achieve level 4 footwork. Patrick had expressed his admiration for Plush before and during the Olympics but that was no fun for the media or the public.

Having said that, it doesn't take away Patrick's and my admiration for the early quaders. It is always much harder, almost insurmountable, to pioneer something, to set a record, which then breaks the belief barrier for later achievers. It's all in the mind. Great feats are achieved by those who don't believe in the impossible. Even then there is always a limit to the belief, which is why records are broken incrementally and technological gadgets are improved overtime. The latest versions are beyond the belief and imagination of the inventors though theorectically there was enough knowledge for the current design. Evolution takes time.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yes he did say that. I think he was really put on the defensive then during the Olympics, but he was correct that, as we can see, there are many skaters who can do quads, but very few who can achieve level 4 footwork. Patrick had expressed his admiration for Plush before and during the Olympics but that was no fun for the media or the public.

Having said that, it doesn't take away Patrick's and my admiration for the early quaders. It is always much harder, almost insurmountable, to pioneer something, to set a record, which then breaks the belief barrier for later achievers. It's all in the mind. Great feats are achieved by those who don't believe in the impossible. Even then there is always a limit to the belief, which is why records are broken incrementally and technological gadgets are improved overtime. The latest versions are beyond the belief and imagination of the inventors though theorectically there was enough knowledge for the current design. Evolution takes time.

SkateFiguring, Patrick should hire you :)
(Although he probably can't afford your rate, but I am sure something can be worked out doing one for the Chinese Bro' and all ;P)

Seriously, his reputation has benefited from you in his corner enormously!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will keep an eye out for more problems with page 2. I edited the title. Let me know by PM if anyone else has problems.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
No, not like Katia Gordeeva. Patrick Chan was born in Canada, grew up there, and went to Canadian schools. English is not a foreign language for him, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble articulating his thoughts. I doubt his vocabulary is lacking in any way - I imagine he'd be offended by the suggestion! No, his PR problems appear to be due to his inability to filter his thoughts, or a lack of interest in doing so; perhaps he'll some day learn that some opinions shouldn't be shared with all and sundry.

I can think of skaters whose first language is not English and who grew up in cultural contexts outside NA who were criticized when they behaved in ways that didn't fit with the NA concept of sportsmanship; if they are expected to conform to cultural codes other than their own and express themselves well in a foreign lanaguage, surely we can expect the same of someone who actually is North American and a native English speaker?

Don't get upset, Chan supporters; I don't think he makes malicious comments - at least, his intent never struck me as malicious - nor do I feel that was really out of line with this interview. And I don't think he needs to stick to cliches inly in his interviews. But boy, he could use some PR training.

It might be so. I know the differences between Gordeeva and Chan. I still think the habit of using a language in some cultural background could play a role, no matter you were born here or not. Whether it plays a significant role or an imperceptible role, I don't know, for I don't know him personally. I highly doubt that he is an arrogant brat like sometimes he was displayed. One thing that we all agreed is that he needs PR training for his own good.

^^^^

Well, somebody had to be in his corner. :)

Sure! With so many standing on the opposit of this corner, it's good to see someone here making the balance.:)

Last edited: