In honor of Kwan's Hall of Fame induction | Page 2 | Golden Skate

In honor of Kwan's Hall of Fame induction

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can only speculate you think Sasha with a fall and a badly 2-footed triple at 2004 Nationals should've beaten a clean (albeit w/a double) Kwan. That is your opinion and your are entitled your opinion, no doubt. I personally find it very telling that for every Nats title Michelle has won, no one else earned a 1st place ordinal for the LP. Now, surely Mathman couldn't have rigged EVERY competition!!!

Michelle didn't double any triples at 2004 Nationals. She skated clean with 6 triples. I know because I've watched that program more times than I can count. It wasn't even close between Sasha and Michelle in 2004.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
2005 Sasha should have won Nationals. Far better than NK's plodding Bolero. But that's the power of MK.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
2005 Sasha should have won Nationals. Far better than NK's plodding Bolero. But that's the power of MK.

I honestly don't remember teh ladies competition that much from 2005... with Angela's being out of the competition because of the car accident I didn't even have a favorite in the event... plus the ladies long was a mad house and I don't do crowds so I spent some of that time wandering around the pavillion with some of my friends and Melissa Gregory's mom (I miss her :(). I hate crowds...

we went back into our seats for the final flight, but other than Jenny Kirk I don't remember jack lol

I'm not an MK fan, so my comment to MM about rigging events was just me being an annoyance to MM...

Was 2005 the year of Angela's car accident? No wonder you were not paying complete attention at the finals. The accident was that very week, on the way from the airport to the skating event, wasn't it? That was so awful. I'm sure it must have shaken at least some of the competitors, who also travel with at least one parent. "There but for the grace of God" must have been flashing through a lot of people's minds.

Melissa Gregory's mom sounds very nice. 2000-2006 was a good period for American skating, wasn't it?

Don't worry, you don't have to be an MK fan. Those of us who are can be enthusiastic enough on our own!

Michelle didn't double any triples at 2004 Nationals.

MKFSfan meant 2005.

It wasn't plodding, but there was a certain "taking care of business" feeling to the performance. Besides the doubled Lutz she also finished behind the music.

But there was no way Sasha or anyone else was going to beat Michelle Kwan with a skate that featured a fall on a jump and a hand down on another. Not at U.S. Nationals, and not under ordinal judging. Michelle "pwned" U.S. Nationals (a new-to-me Internet word that I learned reading Golden Skate .:) )

Against Michelle at U.S. Nationals, bring your A game or settle for silver. :yes:

Here's Bolero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxDaPHeTc0I

emma

Record Breaker
I keep trying to really make a list and pick - but then, I keep changing my mind. I love it all and all of your suggestions above! but, a quick question - was 2004 Aranjuez?

I guess I could take one off the list for sure - I thought Bolero had some potential but unfortunately, imo, never really got skated great (and yes, we all know now that she was nursing injury). But, wow, one LP out of all of those years??!!?? amazing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Was 2005 the year of Angela's car accident? No wonder you were not paying complete attention at the finals. The accident was that very week, on the way from the airport to the skating event, wasn't it? That was so awful. I'm sure it must have shaken at least some of the competitors, who also travel with at least one parent. "There but for the grace of God" must have been flashing through a lot of people's minds.

it was, in fact it happened the day the senior events started. We had a moment of silence in the arena. It was just so odd. I was on the metro with a couple of posters (who I hope at least lurk these days, haven't seen them post in forever :no: ) when my best friend called me to ask if I'd heard the news (she lived in portalnd and was who I was staying with. She isn't into skating) so I broke the news to the fans on the metro and then again to the people sitting with me and my friends (including some of the USFSA judges/officials). It was insane....

Timothy Goebel broke down in tears after his SP because he is very close friends with Angela and it was just too overwhelming... it was, by far, though his best SP skate EVER... too bad about his free program...

Melissa Gregory's mom sounds very nice. 2000-2006 was a good period for American skating, wasn't it?
2005 was the first year I went to nationals and she took me under her wing. I'd been working on their official website for a while and so I became one of her little chicks (along with the friends I'd hung with all week). Some of my favorite memories of 05 and 06 are her at Nationals trying to hide from the ABC camera crew :laugh:... 05 and 06 were my favorite nationals for so many reasons... and 2008, too... I need to become a gazillionare so I can go more...

Don't worry, you don't have to be an MK fan. Those of us who are can be enthusiastic enough on our own!

Don't I know it! :laugh:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I keep trying to really make a list and pick - but then, I keep changing my mind. I love it all and all of your suggestions above! but, a quick question - was 2004 Aranjuez?

Her 2004 LP was Tosca. Aranjuez was 2003.

Hard to pick...I'll go with Rach at 98 nationals for the short, her 2003 nationals LP to Aranjuez, and Fields of Gold for her exhibition.

skateluvr

Record Breaker

I guess I could take one off the list for sure - I thought Bolero had some potential but unfortunately, imo, never really got skated great (and yes, we all know now that she was nursing injury). But, wow, one LP out of all of those years??!!?? amazing.

Aranjuez was 2003. She won her hast world championships with that program. great skate.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Mathman, dont rig the computers at nationals this year yet without talking to me first....Thanks!

^ Oh dear. I have already made a deal with Alissa. (It involves 10% of her take form her next Chrysler Super Bowl ad). :cool:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, Mathman...exactly what place will you put Ashley in his year? Puhleeze put her on the podium...I want silver for her, Thanks!:biggrin:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Mathman was trying to hack into the computers and make Mirai silver when suddenly a drone goes missing over Iran....what's up with that? Wrong IP?

krenseby

Final Flight
Oh, Mathman...exactly what place will you put Ashley in his year? Puhleeze put her on the podium...I want silver for her, Thanks!:biggrin:

skateluvr, have you always been a big fan of Ashley or did you get into her recently? I've been following her for a couple of years now and her skating has been generally enjoyable.

louisa05

Final Flight
SP: The Feeling Begins or Rach 98

LP: Lyra at 98 Nats and Aranjuez 2003 Worlds.

Exhibition: for the whole package East of Eden; for personal reasons "You Raise Me Up" on the COI tour.

^ Oh dear. I have already made a deal with Alissa. (It involves 10% of her take form her next Chrysler Super Bowl ad). :cool:

Math, does this mean we can expect another Chrysler commercial from Alissa? That would be worth waiting for.

>chuckle<