Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

lcd

Match Penalty
What an awesome way to celebrate a birthday! In front of a whole skate-crazed nation, to be victorious!

zydeco88

On the Ice
Sportsnavi Article/Press Conference Interview, December 6, 2013
Source: http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/all/1314/columndtl/201312060013-spnavi

(Translator's note - mostly translated the parts where Yuzuru is concerned)

Hanyu: Heading into the Sochi Olympics "It's a really big step forward"
First GP Final Victory with High Scores
Press Conference with The Top Three Finishers

In the men's free-skate segment held at Marine Messe Fukuoka On December 6, the second day of Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, Yuzuru Hanyu of ANA who had a lead in the short program a day earlier, improved his free segment personal best to 193.41 (TES: 102.03, PCS: 92.38, Deduction: 1.00), racking up a combined total personal best of 293.25, an improvement over his previous best by 28 points. With a high score 2.02 points shy of the world record, he achieved his first title win at Grand Prix Final.

Despite falling on the opening quad salchow, Hanyu managed to hold his ground by flawlessly landing his next element, a quad toe loop and proceeded to hit all the other elements, including a triple-axel-triple-toe combination one after another. Out of the six entrants to this competition, he was the sole competitor who exceeded 100 points in TES. With such performance, he captivated figure-skating fans who had gathered in Hakata ward.

On other hand, Nobunari Oda, who participated in the competition in lieu of Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai University Postgraduate) following his withdrawal due to an injury, produced a score of 175.02 (TES: 91.58, PCS: 84.44, Deduction: 1.00) in the free, 0.62 short of his personal best, and with a combined total of 255.96, finished an impressive third, winning the bronze medal. Tatsuki Machida (Kansai University) who got off to a rough start in sixth after SP, made a recovery and delivered a clean performance, turning in a score of 170.37. However, with an overall score of 236.03, he fell behind Oda and finished fourth overall.

Additionally, Patrick Chan of Canada finished second with a free segment score of 192.61 (TES: 97.13, PCS: 95.48) and a combined total of 280.08.

Hanyu: "Free skate that left a bit of something to be desired"
Disbelief over The High Scores

-Looking back on your free skate today, what do you think?
Hanyu: In the end, my free skate left a bit of something to be desired. In spite of that, I received a lot of points. I think that I was slightly overscored, however, after the fall on the quad salchow, I was able to properly plug into my performance and that, to me, was a big accomplishment. Japanese Nationals is just around the corner. I feel that I have to do my very best as I gear up towards the Nationals.

-Looking back on your growth over a one-year period, what do you feel?
Hanyu: It started at the end of May last year. Moving my training base (from Sendai to Canada) and switching coaches, to me, was a major change, as was dealing with the language barrier, but over that one-year period, I was able to make a great improvement. Similarly, this year, I set about things in May, but since my coach(es) and I got off from a different starting block [than last year], I feel that I've been able to grow naturally. And that's because Coach Orser, Tracy and David (in charge of his choreography) truly understand what had previously been my weaknesses, such as my skating [quality], physical endurance. This allows me to give it my utmost best, together with everyone. I don't really have a concrete idea of what kind of improvement I've made, but I feel that I've tried as hard as I could.

-You turned in scores in the 9s on all the program components, which have been the subject of concern. What is your opinion on the matter? What kind of training have you been doing thus far?
Hanyu: There had been a considerable change in between Skate Canada and Eric Trophée Bompard. I began to feel that I should just go out there and perform, and I was training with the aim of obtaining [higher] scores on the program components. However, after France, gearing up towards GP Final, I wasn't able to train selectively [keeping my focus on the components] to such extent, so I was a bit surprised [at the scores]. Frankly, I was really tired inside and sensed that I wouldn't be able to skate [well]. While I'm glad to have received such scores, it just won't do if I don't strive much harder.

-What do you think about your win over Chan? By winning the title at GP Final, do you think that you've moved one step closer towards the Sochi Olympics?
Hanyu: How I compare to Patrick and the other athletes just didn't get through my head, I didn't think about winning or losing. I was merely trying to enjoy skating as much as possible, that's what has been my intention this time. I thought a bit about winning and losing, but there's nothing that came out of it. That's what I'm honestly feeling now. This is a really huge step towards Sochi and I feel that I'm meeting the requirements. We still have the All-Japan National Championships, so I'd like to do my best in order to produce much better performances.

zydeco88

On the Ice
An interview with Shuzo Matsuoka, a former Japanese professional tennis player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5Z3S4iV6A
Translation of Yuzuru's interview only:

07:48
Matsuoka: So, when the score of 192.61 came out, [how do you feel?] All this while, he's been the reigning champion and his scores are incredible
Yuzuru: Naturally, I was really scared, but I just went out there thinking "if I get through this, I'll become stronger"

10:24 (Regarding his jump layout)
Yuzuru: Indeed, it's difficult and demanding. It's a program that allows me to receive high marks in the second half

(Shizuka explaining that even though Yuzuru's program is packed with content, it poses great risks. It will place a burden on him mental-wise. If one wishes to accumulate points while avoiding the risks, he won't design a program layout like Yuzuru's)

12:04
Matsuoka: How do you lay hold of this challenge?
Yuzuru: I think that challenge, itself, is something that gives me a boost of motivation. Isn't it boring to put a cap on what you're capable of doing? And that could probably mean you're not making every effort. Naturally, giving it all I've got under any kinds of circumstances is my policy[1] as a sports athlete, as a skater.
Matsuoka: In this Olympic season, what do you think you have to value the most?
Yuzuru: Tenacity[2]. Well, there's not much time left until the Olympic Games so I'd like to keep cherishing every minute and every second.
Matsuoka: Giving an all-out support is my forte, so... please count on me.
Yuzuru: I'm counting on your cooperation! Thank you very much!

Translator's notes:
[1] 流儀 (ryuugi) = style of doing things. It contains the character 儀 which means 'rule' or 'principle'. So, I thought it would be more appropriate to use the word 'policy', a guiding principle that governs one's actions and behaviour.
[2] 一生懸命さ (isshokenmeisa) = this is rather hard to translate as the word is packed with meanings: commitment/dedication, endeavour and determination; one's ability to make every effort with all one's might, pulling out all the stops without yielding in to any obstacles in order to achieve a certain purpose. I settled with 'tenacity', but if someone finds a better word, please give me a shout.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Thanks so much for all your translation work!

Isn't it boring to put a cap on what you're capable of doing? And that could probably mean you're not making every effort. Naturally, giving it all I've got under any kinds of circumstances is my policy[1] as a sports athlete, as a skater.

Love this line :agree:

SuzyQ

Medalist
zydeco88, your work is so quick and great! I am always impressed by your translation. As I do translation myself (mainly manuals, contracts, etc.), I know how excellent you are. Actually, dialogues are more difficult than technical materials to translate.

Yuzuru's talk about himself and skating is always very cool, rational and convincing.
In the interview with Mr. Matsuoka, he commented about Mao's skating at the beginning, and this impressed Matsuoka-san very much.

I once read someone was writing that she wanted Yuzuru become a commentator oneday as his comment is very impressive (even if it's too early to talk about now :laugh:) He is only 19 years old! Amazing!
This may be because his father is a teacher?

I found Yuzuru Hanyu tag of Japan Times, although someone might have already posted.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/tag/yuzuru-hanyu/

giulia95

Medalist
zydeco88, your work is so quick and great! I am always impressed by your translation. As I do translation myself (mainly manuals, contracts, etc.), I know how excellent you are. Actually, dialogues are more difficult than technical materials to translate.

Yuzuru's talk about himself and skating is always very cool, rational and convincing.
In the interview with Mr. Matsuoka, he commented about Mao's skating at the beginning, and this impressed Matsuoka-san very much.

I once read someone was writing that she wanted Yuzuru become a commentator oneday as his comment is very impressive (even if it's too early to talk about now :laugh:) He is only 19 years old! Amazing!
This may be because his father is a teacher?

what did he say abou Mao?
thanks in advance!:)

Yuzu has a smart brain and his analysis are very interesting and quite important for his skating, I think...
doesn't he look like a very young teacher when he wears his glasses? :)

SuzyQ

Medalist
what did he say abou Mao?
thanks in advance!:)

Yuzu has a smart brain and his analysis are very interesting and quite important for his skating, I think...
doesn't he look like a very young teacher when he wears his glasses? :)

The video is;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok0L-dtQ-Jo

Matsuoka-san asked Yuzuru about Mao's performance, and he replied (0:44-1:20)
Yuzuru: I think she is working out for completion very fast. As you know, she includes 3A in both SP and FS this season. But, apart from axel jumps, she rarely fails other jumps, and this is the strong point of Asada-san this season."

Matsuoka: The viewers may think he is the commentator, but you know what, he is 19 years-old our gold medalist, Yuzuru Hanyu! Conglaturations!

It's difficult, especially, what should I say "Shiagariga hayai", doing fast for completion? Getting ready fast?
zydeco88, if you are with us, could you please help us with the translation? :bow:

zydeco88

On the Ice
It's difficult, especially, what should I say "Shiagariga hayai", doing fast for completion? Getting ready fast?

These are some that I can think of:
1. She's working real fast towards the finished (or finalized) products
2. She's on a fast track to the finished (or finalized) products
3. She's building up to a fast finish
4. She's forging on towards a fast finish

I came up with the last two sentences, drawing on the image of runners fighting it out at the last spurt of speed towards the finishing line. :)

SuzyQ

Medalist
These are some that I can think of:
1. She's working real fast towards the finished (or finalized) products
2. She's on a fast track to the finished (or finalized) products
3. She's building up to a fast finish
4. She's forging on towards a fast finish

I came up with the last two sentences, drawing on the image of runners fighting it out at the last spurt of speed towards the finishing line. :)

Wow :eek:
Thank you zydeco88!!

It is so amazing that you can think of so many phrases so quickly!
You must be a walking dictionary.

I like No. 3 "building up to a fast finish". It is so good to know this. Thank you again, zydeco88 :)

Could you give me one more favor?

I like Yuzuru's words about his feeling when he was splitting his hair after the performance (5:30 - 5:40 in the video)
(He is so cute :love:)

Yuzuru: Nande, matakayo (Why, not again!)
Mata Salcow kayo (Not Salcow again!)

I love his very young-boy-like, a bit naughty, rough saying. I want everyone to know this nuance, but the above translation is the best I can do.
I would appreciate if you could give me good one for this part :bow:

zydeco88

On the Ice
Yuzuru: Nande, matakayo (Why, not again!)
Mata Salcow kayo (Not Salcow again!)

I love his very young-boy-like, a bit naughty, rough saying. I want everyone to know this nuance, but the above translation is the best I can do.
I would appreciate if you could give me good one for this part :bow:

Nande, mata kayo: Oh no, why this again! / Oh no, not this again!

Mata Salchow kayo: Oh please! Not another Salchow debacle! (not another Salchow fiasco! / not another flub on Salchow!)
He expresses his vexation facetiously here, in a way that's not to be taken seriously, hence the 'Oh, please!' interjection at the beginning.​

Hope I'm doing it right. :)
I think you're giving me too much credit, more than what I'm capable of. I occasionally went back and checked my earlier translation works, and I always cringed at every awkward wording/phrasing I made. :laugh:
Regarding the notion that formal materials are easier to translate, I think it might have something to do with second language learners' propensity to attach more importance to the formal aspect of language in the earlier stages of second-language acquisition. Not much emphasis is given to colloquialism. And unlike native speakers, we do not learn by internalizing the pragmatic use of words since childhood.

SuzyQ

Medalist
Nande, mata kayo: Oh no, why this again! / Oh no, not this again!

Mata Salchow kayo: Oh please! Not another Salchow debacle! (not another Salchow fiasco! / not another flub on Salchow!)
He expresses his vexation facetiously here, in a way that's not to be taken seriously, hence the 'Oh, please!' interjection at the beginning.​

Hope I'm doing it right. :)
I think you're giving me too much credit, more than what I'm capable of. I occasionally went back and checked my earlier translation works, and I always cringed at every awkward wording/phrasing I made. :laugh:
Regarding the notion that formal materials are easier to translate, I think it might have something to do with second language learners' propensity to attach more importance to the formal aspect of language in the earlier stages of second-language acquisition. Not much emphasis is given to colloquialism. And unlike native speakers, we do not learn by internalizing the pragmatic use of words since childhood.

Thank you so much!
You are a modest person, that's for sure. Because you impressed me again :yes:

I noticed there are many people (including me) who like this scene, I wanted them to know what Yuzuru was thinking. I'm happy if they like it.

Thank you again, zydeco88, for your good advice :clap:

zydeco88

On the Ice
^ You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help.

Most here have already seen this perhaps, but I don't see it posted and I think it belongs here. It is Yuzuru speaking in English after his FS at GPF for CBC. He is a superstar both on and off the ice. Honesty. Integrity. Modesty and a true skater living for the skate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDV9IPbamLo
We were joking about how we're impressed that he can now use the word 'frustration' in a sentence, since all he could utter a few months ago at FT post-SP press conference was 'angry, angry with my Axel'. :biggrin: Boy is making a subtle improvement, but that's not to be underestimated. ;)

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Gpf -best performance of the year (for Yuzuru)
the ease of those jumps was simply amazing
Yuzuru's jumps are really the best in the world with that height and distance (opinion)
But I really think he's been slacking on posture since going to Orser
Looking back on White Legend ex at worlds, there's really a big difference between that and hana ni nare and his most recent ex
Honestly the best combo would be Nanami Abe working on his posture and giving him a choreography that fits ( delicate, wild and powerful), while Orser works on the consistency of his jumps and basics
But we can't have everything...