Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie win the gold in Sochi?

yuki90

On the Ice
Why are you attacking other posters for having their opinons? take a chill pill.

I dont think YunaBliss is attacking someone. she is saying her opinion too.

I also feel the way RobinA decribes her/his opinion about YuNa is wayyyy more disrepectul and offensive like Yuna-bashers.

this is not thread about Yuna but Gracie.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Post 1: Gracie will compete against her idol Yuna (backed by news articles containing her quotes)

Yuna-hater #1: No, she doesn't. Yuna is no where near Michelle. Michelle is the best.

Post 2: Gracie probably won't win OGM over the likes of Yuna and Mao.

Yuna-hater #2: Yuna's time was so 4 years ago. She has ugly flat feet that makes me want to claw my eyes out.

In my book, that's off-topic trolling.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Comparing Kim to Kwan as the annoying uber fans of both skaters seem to be addicted to doing, is almost impossible since they are from entirely different eras. Even the scoring system isnt the same. It also really serves no relevance in this thread at all. Last I checked Kwan was not competing at the Sochi Olympics.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I'm not sure why the Sarah Hughes 2002 surprise win is coming up, it was under the totally different 6.0 system.

Anyway, Gracie really thinks she can win a medal:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-gold-olympic-hopeful-figure-skating/4479561/

Well, what's she supposed to say otherwise? That she thinks she has no chance? World-caliber athletes are expected to be confident and competitive.

Anyway, to answer the question, I don't think that Gracie will win gold in Sochi unless all of the favorites (Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Akiko) have meltdowns of spectacular proportions. I do expect Gracie's scores to increase as a result of her new status as the reigning US champion (!!!), though. As of now, I see her as a dark-horse candidate for the bronze. Silver, if she really, really brings her A-game and the other top women make big mistakes.

If all three skate clean, Gracie should outscore both Adelina and Julia based on her superior technique. Unfortunately, with home-ice advantage for the latter two, it's not likely to happen. At this point in time, asking an Olympic medal of Gracie is really pushing our luck -- she's already made giant strides since joining Frank, and all she needs to do in Sochi is deliver two respectable skates. Everything else is out of her hands.

I must say, with only a little bit of bias, that Gracie was the class of the field at Nationals. I've never seen her so collected in competition, and I hope that this is a sign that she's gaining consistency and trusting her training. As Frank said, Gracie's fall on the 3F in the FS was great because she managed to land the 3Lz right after, instead of going "bonkers" like she would have a few months ago.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I love Akiko but is she really a favorite. I guess it depends how much her spectacular Japanese Nationals makes an impact on international judges. I also have a hard time thinking of Carolina as a favorite anymore right now, more like just another contender behind the favorites.

yuki90

On the Ice
Post 1: Gracie will compete against her idol Yuna (backed by news articles containing her quotes)

Yuna-hater #1: No, she doesn't. Yuna is no where near Michelle. Michelle is the best.

Post 2: Gracie probably won't win OGM over the likes of Yuna and Mao.

Yuna-hater #2: Yuna's time was so 4 years ago. She has ugly flat feet that makes me want to claw my eyes out.

In my book, that's off-topic trolling.

they generalize everything with their personal opinion.

they keep comparing YuNa with every other skaters to bash YuNa.

The way they discribe her is so disrepectful and offensive.

If someone say the opposite, they upset and say why are Yuna ubers attacking for having an opinion?!

They don't care about the fact they just attacked YuNa harshly.

They just can't stand the fact that YuNa is still the favorite for the OGM and distanced herself not only technically but artistically. :(

YunaBliss

On the Ice
As I have already said in this thread, I see a superstar in Gracie as long as she can give good, strong performances at the Olympics. After Yuna retires, I will be following Gracie and Osmond as a fan.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I love Akiko but is she really a favorite. I guess it depends how much her spectacular Japanese Nationals makes an impact on international judges. I also have a hard time thinking of Carolina as a favorite anymore right now, more like just another contender behind the favorites.

Someone else said it earlier -- ever since Akiko beat Mao at *Japanese* Nationals (not an easy feat), I think she's been promoted to the status of "favorite." Her odds of winning gold in Sochi are far slimmer than Yuna and Mao's, but they're still significant enough to be recognized.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Without really getting into the Who-would-win-scenario, how is Gracies overall layout that more difficult than Adelinas? It's true for the SP, but in the LP, Adelina plans 3Lz3Lo, which is definitly more difficult than a 3Lz3T, and she has the 2. big combo, the 2A3T in the 2nd half.
It's true she has trouble with consistency, but that doesn't change that the difficulty she attempts is high. And while Gracie has better technique, Adelina still scores good on GOE. It would be really interesting to see how clean Gracie vs clean Adelina vs clean Julia would be scored.

That's a matter of proposed layout. Adelina's 3-3 in her FS is highly inconsistent. Sotnikova's spins are harder though IMO.

RABID

Final Flight
As I have already said in this thread, I see a superstar in Gracie as long as she can give good, strong performances at the Olympics. After Yuna retires, I will be following Gracie and Osmond as a fan.

A good idea for a thread. I started becoming aware of the young Polina a little while ago. Needless to say I am surprised and happy for her good fortune and needless to say I will continue to watch her development. Along with the equally young Karen Chen, the young Russian Alexandra Proklova and of course Gracie, Kaetlyn, Julia etc it should a fun few years this next quadrennial. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Someone else said it earlier -- ever since Akiko beat Mao at *Japanese* Nationals (not an easy feat), I think she's been promoted to the status of "favorite." Her odds of winning gold in Sochi are far slimmer than Yuna and Mao's, but they're still significant enough to be recognized.

Interesting theory. I still think the JSF will push for Mao before Akiko since Mao is the only one who has the potential weapons (3 axels, much higher potential base value which is the ONLY way anyone will beat Kim) to defeat Kim without Kim imploding. Akiko, well as much as it pains me to say it, even on her best day she wont get the scores from the judges to beat Kim for the gold unless she implodes, something she practically never does. Mao putting together all her proposed difficulty to do it is probably very low odds at this point, but they will still take low odds over no odds, and we know the JSF cares more about pursuit of golds than just stronger and more reliable medal chances.

ForeverFish

Medalist
That's a matter of proposed layout. Adelina's 3-3 in her FS is highly inconsistent. Sotnikova's spins are harder though IMO.

Adelina almost always URs the 3Lz-3Lo, so while her difficulty is higher than Gracie's on paper, it often doesn't translate into competition. I love Adelina dearly, but her technique terrifies the living daylights out of me. Plus (please correct me if I'm wrong), I think Gracie has beat Adelina in every competition they've been in together.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The difficulty with beating Kim is that if she is clean in either the SP or LP she will get a monster score and separate herself from the rest (except maybe Mao). Yuna could be 10+ points ahead of a clean Akiko after the SP, which is a huge margin to make up.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Adelina almost always URs the 3Lz-3Lo, so while her difficulty is higher than Gracie's on paper, it often doesn't translate into competition. I love Adelina dearly, but her technique terrifies the living daylights out of me. Plus (please correct me if I'm wrong), I think Gracie has beat Adelina in every competition they've been in together.

and as Adelina fans are quick to point out (correctly) Gold is just as inconsistent as Adelina in the past is. So the fact Gold keeps beating her, when according to Adelina fans themselves Gold is making as many or more mistakes, seems to favor Gold when you think about it. What doesnt is where the Olympics will be held.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The difficulty with beating Kim is that if she is clean in either the SP or LP she will get a monster score and separate herself from the rest (except maybe Mao). Yuna could be 10+ points ahead of a clean Akiko after the SP, which is a huge margin to make up.

Yes, you wont be seeing another 69 for a clean Yu Na in the SP come the Games. I guarantee that. It will be something closer to her Vancouver score than her Worlds score last year. The short program is first and foremost about the strength and dynamics of elements, and that sadly isnt Akiko's forte. The LP is better suited to her scoring well, so hopefully she can do a SP atleast as good as her Nationals one (with a better 3-3 try, she wont get that one credited at the Games like she was generously at Nationals) to stay in medal contention.

CarneAsada

Medalist
She does not almost always UR the 3Lz-3Lo. In fact she got credit for it at the GPF from Shin Amano no less (before her spectacular implosion in the rest of her free skate of course). She has wonky technique, but when she lands it, she rotates it.

yuki90

On the Ice

Agree, If Yuna cleans her SP, her score is 80+ with clean bonus and Olympic inflation as reigning World & Olympic champion.

Her PCS is gonna be the highst among ladies.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Agree, If Yuna cleans her SP, her score is 80+ with clean bonus and Olympic inflation as reigning World & Olympic champion.

Her PCS is gonna be the highst among ladies.
I hope it's not 80+, that would be the most ridiculous inflation in any international competition ever.

Now of course that doesn't mean they won't do it.

ForeverFish

Medalist
She does not almost always UR the 3Lz-3Lo. In fact she got credit for it at the GPF from Shin Amano no less (before her spectacular implosion in the rest of her free skate of course). She has wonky technique, but when she lands it, she rotates it.

She received URs on the combination at both CoC and TEB -- and, I think, at Russian Nationals. Granted, they weren't landed on one foot, but they were deemed UR nonetheless (and, judging from the way she came down, probably would've been UR even if they had been landed correctly).