2014 Olympics Short Dance | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree with you and I understand that. I made the face because some above are trying to make it seem as if Davis/White got crapped on by the dancers when merely they just preferred V/M today. That is all.

Yes, sorry for my original error -- I corrected myself in post #812 above. And I will go back and add a correction to my original post.

Kokko thought V/M's SD today was superior to D/W's SD today. On the day of the team SD, he preferred D/W's.
Don't understand your :eek:hwell: -- why should his opinions on two different competitions have to be identical?

sweetskates1

Medalist
Thanks Dodhiyel - you verbalized my sentiments perfectly!

I agree with you, sweetskates1. It is all too easy to get carried away by the emotional projection made during the execution of a programme, and to forget about the technical difficulty content. We have a numerical, additive system now; one wins by accumulating more points, not by being romantic or sexy with one's partner. This is a competition, not an exhibition.

Icey

Record Breaker
I know what you mean... I like D/W, they've improved so much and she's so unique (although I think the combination of this pink dress and the big bun makes her look like an elegant grandma), but this favoritism really gets on my nerves and I'm rooting for V/M even more now.

I thought Tessa's dress made her look matronly. And I'm not saying this because of your statement about Davis.

sefan

Rinkside
Is the difference between D/W and V/M insurmountable at this point?

I liked Ice dancing very much but even back in the days with the 6.0 system it seemed like the placements are usually set before the competition even begins, from CD through to FD. Seems like it hasn't changed much. But the top 2 teams skated beautifully, what a treat to watch :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I know what you mean... I like D/W, they've improved so much and she's so unique (although I think the combination of this pink dress and the big bun makes her look like an elegant grandma), but this favoritism really gets on my nerves and I'm rooting for V/M even more now.
Actually I smell another judging scandal, like what happened in Salt Lake City.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Honestly, for me, if they both skate to their maximum potential - D/W should win by at least three points in the FD portion. And I agree -this was the best outing for the top teams in the SD portion.

Is the difference between D/W and V/M insurmountable at this point?

I liked Ice dancing very much but even back in the days with the 6.0 system it seemed like the placements are usually set before the competition even begins, from CD through to FD. Seems like it hasn't changed much. But the top 2 teams skated beautifully, what a treat to watch :)

flower63

Spectator
Can someone explain how D/W can get higher score in skating skills? V/M have much smoother look & deeper edges & I notice D/W do alot of hopping!!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm rooting for D/W, but it was fantastic to see V/M skate so well.

I haven't seen them look that good in a long time.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I do not see where there would be a scandal - D/W were pretty perfect this time around and better technically. I also find that D/W's FD is a whole lot better than V/M's. Even casual fans see how masterful it is and compliment it.

Actually I smell another judging scandal, like what happened in Salt Lake City.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Can someone explain how D/W can get higher score in skating skills? V/M have much smoother look & deeper edges & I notice D/W do alot of hopping!!

speed, flow, edges
D/W are ahead of V/M in every components

V/M are also technically inferior and deficient

Protocols are up: http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

Some random thoughts:

So Davis/White got mostly +3s for their twizzles even though the synch wasn't perfect. I can't understand how V/M's step sequence got lower GOE than D/W's given they had more flow and much deeper, more pronounced edges. D/W getting higher quickstep scores, I can understand, timing aside (but then R/K created this dance so who am I to say anything :p).

Pechalat/Bourzat got very generous marks for their twizzles given they are not exceptionally fast and he travelled on the first set. I wouldn't go beyond +1. Same for Bobrova/Soloviev (his twizzles weren't very controlled and they were off-synch on the first set). I wouldn't go beyond 0 but they have mostly +1s and some +2s.

LaNotte slipped during their circular steps. I guess most judges noticed since only three gave +2s but between that and the footwork being a bit slow even +1 looks generous to me.

Weaver/Poje got lower twizzle GOE than other teams so I guess the judges noticed Poje travelling quite a lot on the second set. And their twizzles aren't very fast to begin with. I am surprised about their lift getting mostly +2s though, considering it was a bit slow and strained.

I would have had Coomes/Buckland and Zhiganshina/Gazsi far lower. They are both very entertaining and showed programs with very good energy and character but technically they just don't cut it. Some elements were sloppy and their basic skating isn't very strong either (in case of C/B, I would go as far to say they are 'running' on shallow edges).

Originally Posted by Icey
I thought Tessa's dress made her look matronly. And I'm not saying this because of your statement about Davis.

Well, Tessa still looks better than an elegant grandma. Just saying.

Thank heavens they aren't being scored on dress alone...because let's be honest...neither of them would be contenders in the SD this performance.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Given that the twitter accounts for "Kokko & Rahkamo" are not verified, it is at least probable that they are not real. I wouldn't put too much stock in those tweets...

Wrong. If you have followed Kokko's and Rahkamo's Twitter accounts over any length of time -- meaning not just today, but over months -- it is quite obvious that they are real.

(My hunch is that they never felt the need to ask Twitter to verify their accounts.)

ETA:

I don't know if I'm alone in this but I don't like how Kokko & Rahkamo tweet their opinions mid-competition.

I hope Canada scores in the hockey match.

And I'm Finnish.

Well, in that case, you have the same quibble with an infinite number of other people who live-tweet during events of all kinds (not limited to skating or sports).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

for me this is clear now - Americans have gold secured. Ok, I'll carry on with that, but them winning gold means something else - it will probably set the standard and direction of ice dancing for at least next quad (and for sure if they'll continue). And what it will means - compulsively clean, according to BBC commentary 'clinical' SKATES will rule over. No taking musical/choreographical experiments and risks, just skating from one element to another often with no sense of melody/rhythm.
And personally, I don't want to witness that and watch zombie lifeless competitions, I'm sorry..Now you can throw your insults, you're welcome

sweetskates1

Medalist
I actually liked Tessa's original SD dress better - it seemed sexier - I am not of fan of the new SD dress' shredded bottom and I did not like the way the top framed her chest. Gosh, I really hate Meryl's SD dress so much though and I am so unhappy because the pictures a fellow poster shared showed Meryl with a lovely hot pink costume.

I LOVE Tessa's red FD dress and I would really, really, really love Meryl to go with the FD dress she wore to US championships.

Both girls are so stunning in their own way - gorgeous!

Well, Tessa still looks better than an elegant grandma. Just saying.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Remember I'm neutral, as I love both D/W & V/M (so don't kill me !).
Here is how I see this;
D/W executed their SD perfectly & are so strong, but I don't get the emotional connection when watching them. But the judges are not supposed to mark on emotion.
V/M skated to the music beautifully. They hit every beat & make it look effortless.
I/K were amazing, they really dazzled for me.
P/B interest me the most with their choreography but hey I'm a P/B fan.
B/S were held up as back-up for the free in case I/K screw up like they did at the Europeans. So for me this say's the Bronze is going to a Russian couple.
C/L are projecting to the judges & have a really good SD but I was shocked when I saw W/P marks.
So to some-up, the gold is going to D/W unless they make a huge error.
I'm not shocked by this.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Spare us the bitterness. D/W are simply sharper and faster right now plus they had zero errors. As pageanty as it can get, you have to remember that this is a sport first and foremost, there is no scoring category for star quality or charm.

And yes it's virtually over as someone asked. D/W would have to do extremely uncharacteristically poorly to blow that lead.