2014 Olympics Short Dance | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think what we can say is the race for bronze has been whittled down CONSIDERABLY, to I/K, P/B and B/S. My money is on I/K.

amateur

Final Flight
That lift was a bit of a mess. The entry took so long, I thought they were doing a rotational lift at first and all the changes of position were slightly laboured through. It didn't cover a lot of ice either. It was well balanced but not at the level of execution of the other top teams.

That's fine, but then mark it down appropriately in GOE.. I'm talking more about the point deduction as a rule in general, just seems overly harsh/silly (when compared to the penalty for a fall). I'm not crying wuzrobbed for W/P (though I am puzzled about them being even below C/L), and I also realize the point deduction didn't effect the placement anyway

Meoima

Match Penalty
I thought the same twitter account holder preferred D/W during the team competition? :eek:hwell:

I prefer Davis/White along with a lot of others including the judges - I am so proud of them and excited for their FD!

Virtue/Moir fans should be so happy with the performance - for me, it was their best since GPF and I think that it took a lot of mental toughness to do this given how 'badly' they skated during the Team Competition.

Now, I don't think D/W were not great. But seriously people both agree V/M had a really good performances and they deserve better than that. The scores look a little bit left down. I am really disappointed with this scoring. Come to think of it, while D/W is great, I didn't fell much from their performance tonight.

mhu714

On the Ice
I usually like D&W better but thought V&M outskated them today. D&W's FD is the best and deservedly so, so if they skate well it's no contest for gold. A last hurrah for North America as Russia is set up to re-assume dominance over this discipline prob for the forseeable future. I&K's Swan Lake is phenomenal so they're a lock for bronze IMO, and I think they're much better than B&S, who are over rated and were ranked correctly today. I even liked them less than C&B and C&L. Why do the Shibs get such low PCS scores? Can someone explain that?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
V\M were incredible today, Should have been a whole point higher imo, Which still would've kept them more than a point away from D\W,
Appropriate due to the one point on the one lost level + about 0.50 for PCS

I remember predicting I\K's iconic "swan" would take them to Olympic bronze back in Bompard, Seeing it's Sochi i'm assuming it's happening :cool:

I\K deserved at least a point less in PCS imo, They crushed their PB, And this is not the best they skated this program,
This is probably because B\S failed to score over 70 And the Russians quickly put their eggs in the I\K basket instead,
Now, That makes me happy because i think they are the cuter pair, But P\B were better tonight.

Sorry to the die hard Russian fans (Assuming a few here will not respect my opinion) But calling out inflations is just too easy at the moment,
Seeing they just keep the material coming in, We will just need to face these opinions for the time being :eek:hwell:,
I know as a Russian skating fan i can see this is definitely "a thing" if i'm being honest.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm going to bet on P/B's experience. Plus they are my sentimental faves. :)

I would rather see P/B win--I find Le Petit Prince very charming without the pandering of the Chaplin program--but my money is on I/K. Home field advantage and all that.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Time for the users to start fighting, means I'm out! It's been fun everyone!

why fighting? I always find interesting how users exemplify their opinions/symphaties and how points they use to justify their jugdements - some are just unworthy to respond because insulting not judging package, some are very technical, some are symphatetical, subjective...But what's the most interesting that some really true and meaningful posts are usually non responded and I always wonder if it is they're bloody true and oponents don't know how to respond or smth else...

Anyway, most users have their favs and will be defending them no matter what, but in case of ubers and one special user I can agree and call it fighting...So enjoy the ride, people

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I havent predicted them to win the bronze since the summer. Pre event here I only said they had an outside shot at the bronze if they skated well (which they didnt, their performance sucked and deserved the low score they got). Go back to whining about Chan not being given gold with a bunch of falls like he usually does and leave the serious skating talk to the adults.

PS- you on the other hand still all but guaranteed bronze for B&S up until a few days ago and that certain prediction now is looking :laugh:

Oh how you change your tune! :laugh: You said to let it be known if even one of your predictions would be wrong and that was yet another one but of course you change your time when you are proven wrong. Chan doesn't come 3rd or 4th in Sochi, V/T lose an event at the GPF, W/P fail to win a GP or the GPF bronze... So far the only correct prediction you've had is Miki not making the Olympic team (such a hard prediction).

Well B/S ended up getting three level 3's. They'd be in 3rd if two of those had higher levels. And of course after seeing I/K score 103 in the team FD we knew they'd be one Russian team being held up in bronze.

If B/S got those levels they would have two Russian teams monopolizing bronze and whichever skates well would get bronze, likely B/S given their higher world ranking and I/K's propensity for errors.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree!

I think watching both performances it really comes down to preference. Meryl and Charlie are my favorite, so I'd have had them just a bit higher than Virtue/Moir, but I fully understand why some people feel the opposite.

But the scoring really comes down to the levels and V/M dropped one and D/W didn't while still delivering IMO a delightful performance, so the placement seems fair to me. It's the point spread I'd take issue with, but then the point spread at the Olympics is always sort of eyebrow raising so I try to worry more about the placements than anything else. But they really didn't leave any room for V/M to catch D/W in the free dance assuming that both teams skate well.

WinterLily

Rinkside
Virtue and Moir were underscored. They were switched on tonight and their chemistry was amazing; D/W put in a lifeless performance by comparison.

I don't like wishing falls and humiliation on skaters, but a part of me would enjoy D/W getting something horribly wrong in the FD and forcing the judges to lower their marks. I don't dislike them, but I do dislike the clear favouritism they've been benefiting from.

I know what you mean... I like D/W, they've improved so much and she's so unique (although I think the combination of this pink dress and the big bun makes her look like an elegant grandma), but this favoritism really gets on my nerves and I'm rooting for V/M even more now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
why fighting? I always find interesting how users exemplify their opinions/symphaties and how points they use to justify their jugdements - some are just unworthy to respond because insulting not judging package, some are very technical, some are symphatetical, subjective...But what's the most interesting that some really true and meaningful posts are usually non responded and I always wonder if it is they're bloody true and oponents don't know how to respond or smth else...

Anyway, most users have their favs and will be defending them no matter what, but in case of ubers and one special user I can agree and call it fighting...So enjoy the ride, people

I mean ubers! Stupid autocorrect. :p okay I need to leave for real!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought the same twitter account holder preferred D/W during the team competition? :eek:hwell:

Yes, sorry for my original error -- I corrected myself in post #812 above.

And I will go back and add a correction to my original post.

Kokko thought V/M's SD today was superior to D/W's SD today. On the day of the team SD, he preferred D/W's.
Don't understand your :eek:hwell: -- why should his opinions on two different competitions have to be identical? [ETA: Never mind, from SS's response below, I now realize that I misunderstood the :eek:hwell:. Sorry.]

dress

On the Ice
D/W's season best/world record was at GPF with an obvious mistake, of course this was going to beat that. V/M skating their very best and scoring lower than their season best is... meh. Competition's decided already unless the Americans fall three times in the FD.

It's exactly what will happen. D/W were overscored during the whole season.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I agree with you, sweetskates1. It is all too easy to get carried away by the emotional projection made during the execution of a programme, and to forget about the technical difficulty content. We have a numerical, additive system now; one wins by accumulating more points, not by being romantic or sexy with one's partner. This is a competition, not an exhibition.