2014 Olympics Short Dance | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

DaveT

On the Ice
I'm with Uncle Dick that the USFSA is too stupid to pull off a fix

Agreed. The USFSA is certainly not that savvy. If they were they would have used their pull back when they were the ISU's cash cow.

And these judges don't care which NA team wins. Canada got one and now it looks like they are willing to let the US have one. Now they'll just work to ensure it never happens again. You each got one with your fabulous teams who took advantage of this new system before we mastered manipulating it, enjoy them, you'll never see it again.

I think what was most exciting about V&M today is that we haven't seen them skate this well in a long time and it probably did inflate my own opinion of their performance today, who knows? But are V&M better now than Vancouver? No. Are D&W? Yes.

The biggest judging controversy today was B&S, not the top. I'm just glad I/K are now seen as the top Russian team, they should be to me.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think the scores of Virtue/Moir are a result of how very inconsistent they have been technically. They lost momentum due to all the mistakes they've made in the run up to this event. Davis/White have been spot on flawless for 2 entire seasons now and their impressive consistency is being rewarded. When 2 teams are so close, the judges are going to side with the most consistent skaters. As has been said too, it is very popular opinion that Davis/White by far have the best free dance this season, which is also swaying the judges in their favor. Tessa & Scott have the more intellectual and subtle, sensitive program, but it appears the judges prefer the excitement and passion of Meryl & Charlie.
It does sound like the judges were being prejudiced against V/M. The thing is, they really did well today, and they did not get the score they deserve.

jfdw

Rinkside
To say something positive and looking forward to tomorrow's long program in this thread. I feel the top three all performed excellently. Someone in a competition has to lose. But if the top three skate as well or better in the long program, regardless of their placement they can be proud of the excellence of their performance. For the ones retiring what a high note to end their amateur career and for the ones going on what a start to the next quad. I am a Tessa and Scott fan but I love Davis and White also. Let us remember Tessa and Scott have attained their dream once in 2010 not that they would not like to repeat but if Davis and White win then they have attained their dream too please let us let them have it if they do with good sportmanship and genuine happiness. You know a silver or bronze is nothing to sneeze at and many who will never attain one would gladly have it namely one that you all know Kurt Browning. He has said more than once I would have taken an Olympic medal of any color and ran with it gladly.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It does sound like the judges were being prejudiced against V/M. The thing is, they really did well today, and they did not get the score they deserve.

Well, it didn't help matters that Davis/White were so much more solid in the team event here than Virtue/Moir. Tessa missed the twizzles in the SD and then the lift problem (the hesitation and missed mount) they had in the team FD. It just leaves the judges with a very shaky impression where Tessa and Scott are concerned.

I see the same thing happening in the ladies discipline with Carolina Kostner. Even when she delivered a beautifully flawless skate in the team event SP here, the judges were conservative with her marks due to the loss of momentum that carried over from her rough Grand Prix Season where her errors allowed the Russian ladies Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova to pass her in the standings and in the judges' impressions.

dress

On the Ice
Well, it didn't help matters that Davis/White were so much more solid in the team event here than Virtue/Moir. Tessa missed the twizzles in the SD and then the lift problem (the hesitation and missed mount) they had in the team FD. It just leaves the judges with a very shaky impression where Tessa and Scott are concerned.
Aren't the judges suppose to judge the actual program??
In other sports, that kind of judging would lead to suspensions...

rain

Record Breaker
I think the scores of Virtue/Moir are a result of how very inconsistent they have been technically. They lost momentum due to all the mistakes they've made in the run up to this event. Davis/White have been spot on flawless for 2 entire seasons now and their impressive consistency is being rewarded.

So in other words, the competition has been totally pre-judged and the judging that is occurring is improper, with judges not judging what's actually happening in this competition on the ice. And we're just supposed to be okay with that. Right.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And we're just supposed to be okay with that. Right.

Where did I say that? If you pay attention, the judges mark that way in all of the disciplines. They reward consistency and positive momentum. Skaters who have a track record of not making mistakes and a track record of wins see the most rewards.

flaneur

On the Ice
I'm frankly confused by V/M score. It was a fantastic skate and IMO much better than D/W. This is not to put D/W down (with their excellent FD they will win gold) but though D/W SD was completely clean it felt relatively slow and tentative today.

Sigh. Shakes head. This sport sometimes...

Anyhow, on to a more frivolous subject: Lots of pretty dresses! One thing that has changed in ice dance since the last Olympics is the move from costumes being over the top/outlandish/voidy to being elegant/couture/wearable.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Davis and White have maintained some awesome lifts because they work, and not only that, they make them awesome because they execute them well. If you see similarities between the ambiance of the Die Fledermaus and the passion of the NDDP program, please point them out. Also, there is tremendous growth in all areas for Davis/White.

There is no problem in being calculating. This is a sport after all- technique and strategy must accompany raw talent and innate skills.

please, read more carefully - I wrote that Americans took rather easy ways in music/choreo, not that their programs are similar. It means that they chose things in these terms easy for them to skate not pushing themseves out of that comfort zone. Meanwhile they mastered their technique and I'm not neglecting that - lifts may be effortless, the rest of technical stuff also. But you pointed that also like me - it is all about calculation because this is sport. And I'm fully aware of that, believe me - this is why I'm dancing now only for myself and making choreographies for others, I'm way too sensitive and emotional in termes of dancing. For me it is foremost projecting the essence of the moment - you feel something, you express it, no numbers, no calculations, just you, your move and your emotion.

I do realise that a real dancing is no matched to ice dance - but I'm a one stupid sensitive idealist who search some beautiful execution but in the same time that beautiful execution has to tell me something, capture my attention, haunt me, take me to the other world. So I'm just like that...and I'll probably not change.

As for 'growing on the all areas' by Americans - about technical side I've said thatI agree, but not completely on the rest. Yes, scores show us that, but nowadays in that COP judging system it is a standard - you are good technically, you'll get good PCS, it's nothing new for me. But as I said earlier - many people, many point of views and if I would evaluate their development or non-development for real, I would have to meet them, watch them and work with them, there's no other way...

And for 'calculating is not a problem'...For me it is because it kills for me the beauty of the sport. I would watch something unexpected, fresh, innovative, even with technical errors than watching numbers prepared and calculated by years and knowing about them for long time before watching

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm frankly confused by V/M score. It was a fantastic skate and IMO much better than D/W. This is not to put D/W down (with their excellent FD they will win gold) but though D/W SD was completely clean it felt relatively slow and tentative today.

Sigh. Shakes head. This sport sometimes...

Anyhow, on to a more frivolous subject: Lots of pretty dresses! One thing that has changed in ice dance since the last Olympics is the move from costumes being over the top/outlandish/voidy to being elegant/couture/wearable.

Well last time we had the Folk OD which practically demands camp couture. Sorta like "the parade of nations" at Miss Universe. Headbands were about as camp as things got this time (yes Ms. Ilinykh, I am looking at you).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why must you always make such absurd exaggerations?

Virtue/Moir's programs have a high degree of difficulty.

Sky_fly is just delusional in her anti-Canadian ways. Absurd exaggerations and sky_fly go hand in hand (eg thinking Gold can get the same PCS as Yu Na and 150 points).

For them not being technical masters according to sky_fly, V/M had the second highest base value and just a point shy of D/W.

And of course to add to the delusion she thinks D/W have always been ahead of V/M. I swear if V/M stood for Virtueva/Moirozov, sky_fly would all of a sudden think they were the best skaters ever. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sky_fly is just delusional in her anti-Canadian ways. Absurd exaggerations and sky_fly go hand in hand (eg thinking Gold can get the same PCS as Yu Na and 150 points).

For them not being technical masters according to sky_fly, V/M had the second highest base value and just a point shy of D/W.

I would enjoy a Sky_fly20 vs CanadianSkaterGuy thread.

Panini

On the Ice
Where did I say that? If you pay attention, the judges mark that way in all of the disciplines. They reward consistency and positive momentum. Skaters who have a track record of not making mistakes and a track record of wins see the most rewards.

"Positive momentum"... lol this kind of arbitrary crap is why figure skating should no longer be considered a sport. Cut it from the Olympics along with rhythmic gymnastics and synchro swimming.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
PHP:
I would enjoy a Sky_fly20 vs CanadianSkaterGuy thread.

Sorry, but my advantage in a such a situation is greater than Russia's going into the free dance of the team event.

Maybe if it was sky_fly + pangtongfan vs. CanadianSkaterGuy it would be slightly more evenly matched ... Albeit still heavily in my favour.

Panini

On the Ice
Spare us the bitterness. D/W are simply sharper and faster right now plus they had zero errors. As pageanty as it can get, you have to remember that this is a sport first and foremost, there is no scoring category for star quality or charm.

And yes it's virtually over as someone asked. D/W would have to do extremely uncharacteristically poorly to blow that lead.

Considering what happened at GPF SD and Olympics Team FD, D/W can fall and still beat their personal best.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

yes, most of dancers wore really good outfits today - personally I'm a big fan of :
- Kaitlyn Weaver dress (gorg colour, nice details, great shape and skirt lenght),
- Anna Cappellini (very conservative but somehow 'flirty' dress which enlightened the music theme, despite 'conservative' shape the skirt worked gorgeous during her skating and she is just pure beauty and I think that she'll look good in most colours/shapes),
- Nathalie Pechalat (veeery 'French' - it's a compliment ofc, it screams sophistication, class, fashion and she is also very pretty so it helps definitely:)
- Sara Hurtado (she is just adorable and her dress was perfect fitted, lenghtened and coloured, also enlightened music, maybe I would get rid off that red gloves...)
- Madison Chock (she has very interesting, 'exotic' beauty and her dress shows that - great colour for her complexion, sexy but sophisticated shape but again that white gloves, something shorter and black/brown would be better I think)
- Tessa Virtue (personally I'm a big fan of her beauty and can be biased but that dress was stellar - fitting, shape, material, colour, everything was on the point IMO, and I can't even remind one single competition since Virtue/Moir do seniors where Tessa had bad outfit...)