2014 Olympics Short Dance | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

caitie

Medalist
Regarding Meryl's pink dress...

I've read that it was inspired by the one that Audrey Hepburn wore to the fancy event to show off for Professor Higgins.

For those that are particular fans of the movie, can anyone confirm?

I hope it's something like that... because, even as a fan, I have to say it's not the most flattering to her.

I watched an interview with the designer and he said that Meryl sent him a movie clip from the 1950s. He didn't care for it, lol, but he said he figured out how to make it work for her. I'm 99% sure the clip is from White Christmas -- the number set to The Best Things Happen When You're dancing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fwuzeze0nw

flaneur

On the Ice
I watched an interview with the designer and he said that Meryl sent him a movie clip from the 1950s. He didn't care for it, lol, but he said he figured out how to make it work for her. I'm 99% sure the clip is from White Christmas -- the number set to The Best Things Happen When You're dancing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fwuzeze0nw

woo... you're right. definitely the same dress as white christmas

KKonas

Medalist
[QUOTE And for 'calculating is not a problem'...For me it is because it kills for me the beauty of the sport. I would watch something unexpected, fresh, innovative, even with technical errors than watching numbers prepared and calculated by years and knowing about them for long time before watching[/QUOTE]

Then I have no idea why you are watching ice dancing. All couples plan programs at least a year in advance and sometimes longer, but that doesn't mean each element is planned ahead of time because IDTC requirements change especially for the SD all the time. No one does "instantaneous" competitive programs in the ISU. You could find that in shows.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL at Konas.

What would really be fun would be to have an iPod with about a thousand songs on it, and play one at random when the dancers take their pose.

That way we could see who could dance on the fly. LOL

caitie

Medalist
LOL at Konas.

What would really be fun would be to have an iPod with about a thousand songs on it, and play one at random when the dancers take their pose.

It should be a new event lol. Or how we settle ties in ice dance. A dance off!

sweetskates1

Medalist
That is too bad NoNameFace - enjoy those that skate beautifully in your eyes and I hope one day you can enjoy some of Davis/White's performances. I can understand your feelings -'stupid sensitive idealist' characterizes me pretty well too - believe me. It is pathetic. Hence my devotion to Mao, Michelle and Sasha.

I definitely feel that Davis/White have grown in all areas - the growth for me - was extremely apparent in their 2010-2011 short dance and in their 2012-2013 free dance. I love Daisuke Takahashi and before that Stephane Lambiel. However, that innate sensitivity - that art -that both Daisuke and Stephane possess - was always accompanied by attempts to push with power and speed for quads, velocity and technical prowess. And gosh - Jeremy Abbott - that heart-breaker - I love him and he moves me to tears even with mistakes. However - Jeremy, Stephane and Daisuke were all calculating - they have to be. They were all uniquely artistic in my mind - as are Davis/White - and they all execute extremely well sometimes. Very few skaters - specially ice dancers - are not artistic in their own way. For me Charlie is dramatic and powerful - like Maria Callas - a little ugly with a little miss here and there with technique - but legendary. Meryl, in my honest opinion, is one of the greatest ice ballerinas ever. She is lovely to behold - just beautiful. I love the way she moves and makes her skirt move with her, her arms and wide, princess smile. She is grace, joy and Disney personified for me.

One last point - There is an important difference between the individual skaters I love and the ice dancers I root for. Ice dancers cannot fall - they don't - if they happen to make a mistake it's in the twizzles. When ice dancers execute as perfectly and as consistently as Davis and White - it becomes harder to feel that rise/fall that comes with cheering most skaters. The suffering fans of Jeremy Abbott can tell you - we feel every move and we cry when he executes the jumps because he is an artistic being that we coddle like a child. Not so with Davis/White. They skate as professionals - it is their responsibility to crank out those Dwizzles (let's change the name already!!), fly across the ice, execute those lifts to the Nth degree of perfection and perform as best they can. Perhaps you find Virtue/Moir 'relationship' with/to? each other and the music more engaging. I actually find their "romance and chemistry" mushy and calculated. Again, it all comes down to preference - D/W's power, speed and grace are calculated and manufactured but they sell it well to me and others. Ditto on V/M's elegance, chemistry and romance. Different strokes for different folks.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Then I have no idea why you are watching ice dancing. All couples plan programs at least a year in advance and sometimes longer, but that doesn't mean each element is planned ahead of time because IDTC requirements change especially for the SD all the time. No one does "instantaneous" competitive programs in the ISU. You could find that in shows.[/QUOTE]

you have read whole discussion and my posts about 'calculating' - if no, I reccomend you read first, posing eventual question after...I assumed the 'calculacy' element on specific situation where Americans said that the've planned to skate to Scheherezade for 5/6 years and planned some elemnts for the same amount of time so it's not the year-by-year new programs. There is also a difference in my opinion between choosing some music/creating some choreo with technical elements before new season and planning to skate to something/doing some move for a half a decade like something military operation - if some music inspires you, you take it, make some choreo, add tech elements, build a performance and not make some big deal for future with it IMO

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I also find that D/W's FD is a whole lot better than V/M's. Even casual fans see how masterful it is and compliment it. ...

And casual fans compliment Virtue/Moir's FD as well. :)

ETA:

to be fair, he basically got harassed by V/M ubers after saying he liked the Americans' better :/

To be fair to whom? I do not condone harassment, but don't understand the point of what you are saying.

If Kokko did not want to stir up further reaction one way or the other, he could have kept silent about the individual SD. But he chose to express his opinion.

ETA:

Polish commentator said that he has a quality of Christopher Dean.

Thx, aniela. Nice praise for Moir.

sweetskates1

Medalist
LOL Yessss!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh gosh - I actually think that most of the ice dancers are dorks (in a good way!) and it would be hilarious. Imagine Davis/White actually dancing to Beyonce's Drunk in Love. :biggrin:

LOL at Konas.

keasus

On the Ice
I am trying to maintain an open mind, but I/K just don't do anything for me. They have simplistic programs (I include Sawn Lake in this category), with bobble-prone execution, and still score high. Maybe they will improve and earn the scores and adulation with they are given now. I hope PB and, yes, even B/S, come out guns 'a blazing" in the free dance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Give it a rest. You've been all over the boards with the sourness.

It's gotten tiresome. You've gotten tiresome.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Today even the uber D and W fans know that V and M were very much ( by a mile) better and should have a 3 or 4 point lead.

Do they? :rolleye:

V/M weren't by a mile better. Actually, I thought both teams were equally perfect. But according to protocols, V/M dropped a level. D/W did not.

Also should I remind you V/M were constantly held up by the judges in Vancouver? I mean, yes, they did deserve the gold, but I'm not so sure about their winning the OD over D/W's legendary Bollywood. But nobody was talking about purchased medals back then.

Don't worry, Meryl and Charlie will blow Tessa and Scott out of the water with their Shez. I mean, the other FD is soooo bland.

sweetskates1

Medalist
NoNameFace - I just read your response to another poster's comment in regards to calculating. And I think I also misunderstood your original comment so I am posting a reply here.

I think that many skaters have a song that they dream about skating to. Jeremy - one of the most sensitive and artistic skaters ever in my eyes - had thought about skating to Bring Him Home for a long time. I cannot see how this makes someone less of a natural or engaging artist. Some tracks speak to some dancers/performers. Have you ever seen a talent show on TV? Surely, very talented and skilled performers have particular songs, acts that they want to perform to make that lasting impression - that ace that they know will catapult them into stardom. I would hardly call that a 'military tactic' - just a concerted effort to push for greatness. Don't all skaters do this? Choose certain special songs and lifts for Olympic/farewell years?

caitie

Medalist
I assumed the 'calculacy' element on specific situation where Americans said that the've planned to skate to Scheherezade for 5/6 years and planned some elemnts for the same amount of time so it's not the year-by-year new programs. There is also a difference in my opinion between choosing some music/creating some choreo with technical elements before new season and planning to skate to something/doing some move for a half a decade like something military operation - if some music inspires you, you take it, make some choreo, add tech elements, build a performance and not make some big deal for future with it IMO

Where are you getting the 5-6 years number? I don't think that's accurate. Everything I've read/heard was that they considered doing Schez at some point during this quad but liked it so much that they decided to save it for their Olympic season. And they've only worked on pull-through entrance to their first lift for about three years, which is kind of understandable since it probably took an exhaustive amount of practice to get exactly right and be able to perform it consistently. I don't think working on a lift early or saving a song for an Olympic season means their free dance is canned or stale because they've been working on it foreverrr.

In any case, obviously knowing exactly what they wanted to do this season has helped them have a very cohesive free dance with a clear purpose and intent behind the choreography and arc.

Today even the uber D and W fans know that V and M were very much ( by a mile) better and should have a 3 or 4 point lead

lol wut. For me that was their best performance of the short dance this season -- i like the added details since the grand prix, it was technically perfect, brilliant twizzles, light, and fun even under the immense pressure they were under to deliver after VM were so good.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
The great thing about the D/W vs. V/M debate is that it comes down to an essential, timeless dance argument: What is better, technical (or, OK, "clinical") precision? Or drama, edge, "chemistry"? It's a question that is raised, over and over, in all dance criticism, from ballet to modern, jazz to . . . I don't know, probably clogging.

I think, for a sport, technical precision and athletic supremacy really should win, it's the fairest measure. For this reason, I tend to prefer D/W, because I just like the reliable precision of their skating -- it's like going to a really good ballet. That said, I was happy for V/M in 2010 because I was swayed by just the romance of their skating. The problem with that, it feels like a gimmick after a period of time. Then, you're left purely with the quality of their skating, and I just think D/W hold an edge -- but boy, a small one. I don't think I/K are anywhere near V/M -- the only surprise to me today was the closeness in the scores between 1/2 and the rest of the field; I expected a bigger gap, and think there should be one.

I also don't see any message being sent for the next quad: I could imagine things changing dramatically next year, with W/P, C/B, L/C all teams that have made big boosts in recent years. I don't think I/K is the obvious leader -- though, at their best, they are lovely and have enormous promise.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I honestly think that D/W were the very best today - near absolute perfection. I never accepted that D/W were beaten in the O/D or that they were that far behind in the FD. They were absolutely underscored. But, like I have stated before, the world of ice dancing was not ready for them.

Do they? :rolleye:

V/M weren't by a mile better. Actually, I thought both teams were equally perfect. But according to protocols, V/M dropped a level. D/W did not.

Also should I remind you V/M were constantly held up by the judges in Vancouver? I mean, yes, they did deserve the gold, but I'm not so sure about their winning the OD over D/W's legendary Bollywood. But nobody was talking about purchased medals back then.

Don't worry, Meryl and Charlie will blow Tessa and Scott out of the water with their Shez. I mean, the other FD is soooo bland.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't help but believe that one team that will be a factor in the next quad isn't even here: Hubbell/Donohue.

If they keep improving at the pace they have... they will be amazing.

sweetskates1

Medalist
That is a great point TontoK! I think so too. And, I think that this quad will return to the drama/romance of yesteryear. I do not think there will be other Davis/Whites.

I can't help but believe that one team that will be a factor in the next quad isn't even here: Hubbell/Donohue.

If they keep improving at the pace they have... they will be amazing.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Where are you getting the 5-6 years number? I don't think that's accurate. Everything I've read/heard was that they considered doing Schez at some point during this quad but liked it so much that they decided to save it for their Olympic season. And they've only worked on pull-through entrance to their first lift for about three years, which is kind of understandable since it probably took an exhaustive amount of practice to get exactly right and be able to perform it consistently.

If I hadn't had that information I would haven't recalled it - at US nationals this years commentators said that they have planned these things by that amount of time. Even when they reveiled that their FD will be to Scheherezade they said that they always wanted to skate to that and prepared themselves for that.