2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

yuki

Final Flight
Well, this was ridiculous.

Very happy for Mao, FS of the night for me :clap:. I hope they at least invite her to the gala after blatantly robbing her of 5th place :slink:
Congrats to Carolina for her Olympic medal and her two great skates here!

roots

Rinkside
First thought is what a wonderful final flight, all top-3 ladies skated clean. My personal feeling would have been Kostner (Gold), Kim (Silver) and Sotnikova (Bronze). I just have a hard time calling Sotnikova Olympic Champion. Don't want to take anything away from her, she had the skate of her life, with all the pressure. But, I don't see why she got all those +GOE and her PCS were too high, that program didn't do anything for me. That aside, can't take it out on her, she didn't give out her own marks. As for Kim, she had a great skate, has nothing to prove anymore, but I wasn't sold on her program, it lacked passion and emotion. For me, Kostner had the program of the night, sure it's last year's, but I was drawn to it, captivated. Great that she put 2 back-to-back clean skates. She should be so proud, regardless of the colour of her medal.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I have not seen the performances yet but this is very suspicious. Adelina is not anywhere near the quality of Yuna/Caro, never has been, and for this reason was never on the radar for a medal. Then she all of a sudden gets PCS like this, a month after Euros?

I believe this might be payback for Russia "letting" the U.S. win ice dance in Russia (shocking.)

cptnhastings

On the Ice
This will definitely not be a scandal in the US. I can already hear Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic in my head telling the US audience how Sotnikova deserves the gold b/c she brought the (partisan) audience into the program. :laugh: What a crock. They haven't even said it yet, and I am still going to call for them to be fired ASAP.

Way to go Carolina and Yuna and Mao and Gracie! Congrats Adelina on a good performance even if I think having the highest free skate of all time is plainly ridiculous. (It was the highest right?) I had her fourth in the FS in my mind but still in 3rd. Too bad Carolina didn't do the triple toe-triple toe, but she still would've lost. :p

Actually, very nice final two flights overall. Too bad I have a sour taste in my mouth, but I'm hardly going to quit watching people I like because they aren't getting the right medals for their performances. Why shoot myself in the foot?

Nater

Match Penalty
It's not result I expected or dreamed of but wow, congratulations to Adelina.

I enjoyed Kim Yuna more but what can you say. I'm stunned that Kim Yuna was able to pull off two clean Olympics in a row. Who does that? I'm in shock that it wasn't good enough for gold but I'll have rewatch the whole thing with calmness to see what I think.

Caro - Hurray!!!!!!!! it's a bronze but more importantly she had a terrific Olympics and really couldn't have asked more from herself. It might as well be gold.

I didn't get to see Mao but I see she moved from 16th to freaking 6th!!!! and had the third-highest FS of the night. She must have been wonderful. Did she do the 3a? Ugh, how bitter sweet, why Mao why????

Mao did a clean 3A in the FS. She burst into tears afterwards. What could have been, right? But, how would she have skated if she was in the last group?

Kostner skated like she just wanted to protect her Podium placement. She didn't really have attack. She was clearly "skating smart" and it paid off for her.

Kim was hurt by the fact that she didn't improve her spins at all since Vancouver, only has 6 triples, and had empty programs. There was also pretty much no performance quality in those programs. She skated them like she had a BT Headset on and was talking to a sponsor on the phone...

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
If she skated better this time, why she couldn't get better PCS? She was not the only one to get better PCS than PB. Should a skater pay her due before she can get good PCS?

She won on technical score. Did Mao, Kostnar, Kim do all different triples + 2 axel?

And I'm fine with Adelina winning the OGM on technical score. You're just not gonna convince me that her PCS are better than, say, Kostners, or 'only' 0.09 worse than Yuna's. But we can simply agree to disagree on that and move on :)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
What I really can't stand is that it was an AMAZING competition, and still most of the talk will be about the controversy.

I really like Adelina and she was fantastic, I don't want the controversy to tarnish her reputation nor shake her nerves in the future, I don't want her to retire yet, because she can improve.

Mad RESPECT for Yu-na, she nailed it under pressure, she's so rock solid, I appreciate her more and more. I hope she won't be too disappointed/bitter, and that she'll do what she wants to do in the future

Mad RESPECT for Carolina Kostner, she went CLEAN for the first time in ages, she is so classy, she didn't even shove off haters

Mao was SPECIAL, such a fighter, and was positively lowballed at least in PCS. Maybe she'll remain with a "what if...", but frankly, she deserves respect.

Gold and Wagner were remarkably good.

Lipnitskaya, poor girl, four skates in a row were too much, media pressure was too much. I hope she'll be able to develop at her own pace.

And yet, there will be scandal and controversy and bitterness and I think I'll run to the anti-drama bunker

roots

Rinkside
First thought is what a wonderful final flight, all top-3 ladies skated clean. My personal feeling would have been Kostner (Gold), Kim (Silver) and Sotnikova (Bronze). I just have a hard time calling Sotnikova Olympic Champion. Don't want to take anything away from her, she had the skate of her life, with all the pressure. But, I don't see why she got all those +GOE and her PCS were too high, that program didn't do anything for me. That aside, can't take it out on her, she didn't give out her own marks. As for Kim, she had a great skate, has nothing to prove anymore, but I wasn't sold on her program, it lacked passion and emotion. For me, Kostner had the program of the night, sure it's last year's, but I was drawn to it, captivated. Great that she put 2 back-to-back clean skates. She should be so proud, regardless of the colour of her medal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
in your face haters !!!

Adelina jut won

No.

I'm going to stop you right there. You do not get to say crap like that.

You have been not just one of the worst haters, you have been THE worst hater of Sotnikova.

We can't even count the number of times you've called her a headcase and said disparaging things about her. Adelina essentially just told all her haters - including you, sky_fly - to shove it with a gold-winning performance (or at least a performance worthy of the podium).

Stop trying to pretend like you haven't been one of her biggest haters, all along. None of us are buying that. :rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
I am SO that Yuna can finally retire with her head held up high. Congratulations Yuna, and thank you for leaving us fans with two another perfect Olympic programs and proving even in the face of her numerous haters that you are the one with prowess and dignity til the very last moment. I wish you all the best after retirement.

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
Congratulations to Adelina!
Although she has less style than other medalists tonight she was the strongest!

Nater

Match Penalty
Adelina having the highest TES is justified, I think. But the PCS?
So far, Adelina's personal FS best was from this year's european championships only a month ago...131.63 with PCS:

SS 8.64
TR 8.50
PE 8.75
CC 8.75
IN 8.75
= 69.60

The same program four weeks later gets:

SS 9.18
TR 8.96
PE 9.43
CC 9.50
IN 9.43
= 74.41

Do you realize that with 3-4 points less PCS she would have still won? PCS isn't why she beat Kim. Kim won PCS. Kim Lost to Sotnikova because the latter gave a clinic on brilliant jumping and spinning and hit all her levels.

When will you people stop bitching about PCS and realize that Kim LOST to Sotnikova because she couldn't manage to get her Triple Loop consistent and was down a triple, and had Worse Spins and lower level footwork?

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Yuna was robbed plain and simple, starting with the SP, where she should have had at least 5 points advantage over Adelina.

Yuna gave EVERYTHING she had at these Olympics. 100%. Two perfect programs. Anywhere else in the world, she would have won gold.

I am happy that Yuna will be leaving with no regrets, but absolutely sickened by this blatant politicking.

Yuna, the definition of Ladies Figure Skating. She has power and grace.
She might no win gold because of this rigged sport but she has more than win my heart.

For me, she is the greatest. Everything about her is just pure LADIES Figure Skating.

So sad she had to give up a gold medal to the little girl from russia, who has decent skating skill, no grace and certainly no maturity.

Oh and CAROLINA should be second.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Does anyone still believe that Polina Edmunds should have stayed home?

There's no way that question can be answered since Mirai was not allowed to compete. Her scores at 4CC's are irrelevant since it was a week after nationals, and she was sick/deflated, at a completely different competition under different circumstances. We don't know what would have happened if Mirai/Polina/Ashley were all allowed to compete against each other in the Olympics. The closest barometer to this situation is all of them competing at Nationals, which happened, and one of them bombed (we all know who.) The skaters' world rankings is also irrelevant. Ashley is 5th, and Mirai 23rd - big deal. Polina is 91st, and Yuna Kim is 29th.

starrynight

On the Ice
No.

No, You do not get to say crap like that.

You have been not just one of the worst haters, you have been THE worst hater of Sotnikova.

We can't even count the number of times you've called her a headcase and said disparaging things about her. Adelina essentially just told all her haters - including you, sky_fly - to shove it with a gold-winning performance (or at least a performance worthy of the podium).

Stop trying to pretend like you've been her fan, all along. None of us are buying that. :rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Well-said. What's wrong with him? :scratch:

sleepymom

Rinkside
Amazing performance, but tarnished by judging. And my ignore list is getting bigger and bigger.

Love and great thanks to Yuna/Carolina/Mao. Esp. Yuna, you'll be remembered as true champion for a long time. all of them will be remembered fondly.

For the game itself, at this point I lose any respect I had for the system and ISU. I know Yuna's been working to support korean figure skaters, but with this result, how anybody would ask for more interest on this so-called sports? I'm sad and discouraged myself, I am not sure I can ask people to enjoy figure skating after this.

warlesha21

Spectator
This is sooo ironic. Adelina is the new OGM! Ironic because we already know she is, right? Even before Yuna skates. This is how PCS works.

Unfortunately, that is how PCS works. If 3 years of propping Chiddy up taught us nothing, is that PCS will always save the judges.

Still shocked at the 5 point difference. Knew that Adelina had gold when we saw the 149.whatever, but I think the judges thought that Yuna wouldn't skate that cleanly.