The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 36 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

leafygreens

Final Flight
Indeed; and this Cinquanta quote from the Chicago Tribune:

'One is a clear conflict of interest. The other is akin to having a bank rehire an employee caught for embezzling.

“Would you rather have an idiot acting as a judge than a good one who is a relative of the manager of a federation?” Cinquanta said. “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest.

“I can’t suspend a person for life for a minor violation. (Balkov) is a matter for the Ukraine federation, because they chose to send him.”'

Where does the buck stop? 'I'm ONLY the head of the ISU; I can't do anything, waaah!' And speaking of idiots serving in important positions...

Unbelievable. His quotes are arrogant and troubling.

usethis2

Medalist
^Can we also throw in Lipniskaia's scores? 135+ for a program with 2 obvious mistakes, and higher PCS than Asada?
She received 200+ points for 2 very flawed (generously speaking) programs. Of course she was also incorrectly judged, most likely intentionally. Her scores actually went up from her team game performances - and people thought her team game scores were unjustifiable. How about that.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think anyone (including Kim) should've scored a 149 for their programs last night. At this point, I would give the gold to Kim by a point to three over Kostner. Heck, I wouldn't mind Kostner getting the Gold, and Kim getting the Silver, but Adelina scoring above the two is absurd.

Again, I would like to have seen how the judging got fibbed around if Mao had skated a clean SP, and what the reactions would be if Adelina placed above her in the end.

Couldn't agree more except I'm still not sure who deserves the gold. It seems like everyone has their own take that's fine. I'd rather focus on the judging issues and not the skaters so much...,if that's even possible. This sport will be the death of me. On the ice and off!!

kslr0816

On the Ice
Can anyone confirm this:

I heard Adelina Sotnikova yelled to a Sochi interviewer in Russian: "Well I'm the best skater at the Olympics. When you try me with a sorry skater like Kim Yu-Na - that's the result you gon' GET."
and continued, "Don't you EVER talk about me, Yuna Kim!"

i don't think it's a real quote...

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Holy WOW. That was totally unexpected. Did not know Korea had such a bone, lol.

The ISU governs figure skating, synchronized skating, and speed skating. Korea is a powerhouse in short track speed skating and it's the fastest growing market for figure skating after Japan due to Yuna. I doubt ISU will do much but Korea isn't someone you want to blow off due to how much money they bring in.

figurejennah

On the Ice
If you guys felt that this was unfair, then please go to change.org and sign the petition to open an investigation. Already 1.7 million people have signed and we still need 1.3 million more. I wasn't sure if I could bring the link, but just go to change.org, and search for YUNA KIM.

Yes, it might not change anything, but at least we can show that we care.

usethis2

Medalist
Cross-posting here because this thread seems a better fit. If it's against the TOS of the forum I will correct it:

Ms. Kim has always maintained that there isn't anything she can do about judging. It's unfortunate that she was rarely a beneficiary of this corrupt practice. (when was the last time an ISU event took place in S. Korea?) It has been evident for the past years that ISU struggled to find worthy competitor against Ms. Kim so that they can keep things more "interesting."

Likewise, S. Korea will not file any complaint (edit: I stand corrected on this matter, heh) - it's hosting the next Olympics, for pete's sake. Perhaps it is even looking for a payback when they get their chance. Do people want that? The history repeats itself endlessly? I doubt anyone wants to follow to the logical ends of this nihilistic attitude. People want peace, I get that. But most people also want justice as well. It is a balancing act we exercise every day, and figure skating is no different. Especially for Olympics. If we were to hold our athletes to a higher standard, especially in these Olympic games, we need a worthy system and a likewise worthy culture that nurtures fairness and excellence.

Also, those who attack athletes when they are not responsible for whatever injustice they perceive need to realize that they are not doing any service to their cause. They should not blur the line. Adelina could have easily been a victim just as anybody else in this system. They also give excuses to those who do not want to disrupt the carefully decorated apple cart of status quo.

kslr0816

On the Ice
lmao - here we go, at least a real quote:

"Yes, I am the Olympic champion, but this is not the end of it," Sotnikova said Friday, a day after giving Russia its first Olympic gold in women's figure skating. "I want all the gold that there is out there, everything that exists in figure skating. In all events, in all competitions."

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
seems his new target will be Sotnikova next quad

It's really sad. Even though I don't agree with her winning at all I still like Adelina and, results aside, I'm happy she was able to have two great skates at the Olympics.

I think it's so childish and mean to attack her and call her names and tear her down. All she did was skate her best. The judges gave her the marks...all of the personal attacks on her are seriously misdirected. Most rational and mature fans know this but the childish ones are the people calling her names, hoping she never medals again, and so on... :disapp:

I feel bad for her and Yu-Na and everyone else this is affecting negatively. The judging has resulted in all of the skaters being dragged through the mud while all of this controversy plays out. None of them deserve that.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
lmao - here we go, at least a real quote:

"Yes, I am the Olympic champion, but this is not the end of it," Sotnikova said Friday, a day after giving Russia its first Olympic gold in women's figure skating. "I want all the gold that there is out there, everything that exists in figure skating. In all events, in all competitions."

Seems getting the medal has motivated her to compete even more. Well at least we know she has no plans of retiring any time soon. More power to her. After this highly disputed win she's definitely going to need some titles to fall back on...

warlesha21

Spectator
I really want to see what will happen @ Saitama WC 2014. I wonder if the judges there will go along with Sochi crap and give her similar PCS, or bring her back to earth.

I posted something similar on twitter. Now I have a different theory all together. Depending on how bad this gets, and I think that a very strong message will be sent to Adelina to not compete at World's and effectively retire ala Tara and Hughes. There's not much else for her to accomplish having had the biggest victory in her career. OGM, home ice, first Russian woman to win OGM, living up to being the "face" of Sochi Olympics after having it temporarily taken away by her main rival Yulia, beating a legend by 5 points, having 2 skates of her life. If I was advising her, I would say sit out the rest of the season. As much as I love World's, it is in a month? She'll be wined and dined by every Russian plutocrat for the rest of her life. Without having to suffer at the hands of figure skating judges.