2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2024 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships will be held January 22-28, 2024, at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Medals will be awarded in all four disciplines at the senior and junior levels. Athletes will vie for spots on the National Team that will compete at the 2024 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, and the 2024 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Y’all, I’m so excited for next year’s Nationals being only 9ish hours drive away from me!

I have a good friend who has season tickets to the local hockey team and she knows the arena VERY well. If anyone has any questions about the arena post them here and I will try to get answers.

Also I’m putting it out here early this year, if you would like to attend but can’t afford a hotel room or would just like to save money, send me a message.

I will have a car but am incapable of driving in ice/snow but as long as the conditions are ok I’m more than willing to ride folks around.

This facility has the practice rink and the main rink in the same facility which I love!

Last edited by a moderator:

macy

Record Breaker
has anyone seen the volunteer link go live yet? i've been watching for a few weeks and i feel like it should have been up by now...

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know when the USFSA will come out with the official list of participants for Nationals?⛸️

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I paid more attention too the senior grand prix than I did the juniors grand prix. My bad.

I did realize that the U.S. on top of the qualifiers had at least one U S. substitute for each of the disciplines. Hats🤠 off to them.
That will make both the Junior natl and senior national much more interesting and competition.
It shows the fire in the juniors and the great future the U. S. has in figure skating.
I for one am looking toward nationals this year.

Steinbeck

Rinkside
Regarding TV coverage, does anyone know what the deal is with NBC's primetime coverage of the women's freeskate? Will they cover it end-to-end (even the first warmup groups)? Or will we need to go to Peacock for that?

I see that USA is covering the short and assume they'll show all groups, but can't find any info on that either.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
NBC typically in their primetime coverage will show the last two groups for the women's free plus a recap of the top four or five women's short programs. Peacock should show everything. TV (in this case USA) doesn't usually show all the shorts either. They often come in after the first group but maybe we'll get lucky this year, who knows.

Janice4th

On the Ice
I’m going to my first US Nationals. I have a couple of questions: is it super cold in the venue? Trying to determine layers of clothing. I’m from Florida, where the run the air conditioning in the sports venues even when its coat weather outside. What type of food options are available? Do they serve Pepsi or Coke?

Gusmom

Rinkside
I’m going to my first US Nationals. I have a couple of questions: is it super cold in the venue? Trying to determine layers of clothing. I’m from Florida, where the run the air conditioning in the sports venues even when its coat weather outside. What type of food options are available? Do they serve Pepsi or Coke?
It can get chilly but it depends on how close to the ice you are. Closer to ice generally = colder. There are others more experienced here, but in my spectator history, I find layers to be helpful because you never how any particular arena will be until you're there.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Agree with the earlier comment about the closer to the ice and layers. Something Ive learned is support/compression socks and good footwear. Compression socks help circulation in the cold arena and because arena floors are unfogiving solid, thick steel and concrete. Be careful of tight boots due to very little foot and legroom in the seating area. I also am careful to let my body adjust to the temperature...it will feel warmer/more comfortable when the arena is empty but as people arrive the tempature will be dropped. I find wearing an undershirt, sweater, sleeveless vest and an oversize blanket scarf best. I can always put the scarf on my legs for warmth and use the sleveless vest as an extra layer or a back rest.
Also be sure to have a clear bag such as this-
Lageza Clear Bag Stadium Approved Clear Purse with Adjustable Strap and 2 Pockets Clear Crossbody Bag for Men and Women https://a.co/d/1hNVjGQ

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also be sure to have a clear bag such as this-
Lageza Clear Bag Stadium Approved Clear Purse with Adjustable Strap and 2 Pockets Clear Crossbody Bag for Men and Women https://a.co/d/1hNVjGQ
This is why I can't go to Nationals anymore - I need too much stuff - glasses, medications, wallet, phone, keys, snacks - to fit insuch a bag. Also - this clear bag stuff is cause of the whack on Nancy's knee isn't it. Which I was there for. Maybe not cause I did 1998 Nationals and had no problems.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is why I can't go to Nationals anymore - I need too much stuff - glasses, medications, wallet, phone, keys, snacks - to fit insuch a bag. Also - this clear bag stuff is cause of the whack on Nancy's knee isn't it. Which I was there for. Maybe not cause I did 1998 Nationals and had no problems.
I don't think so, I believe clear bags are post-9/11, probably a more recent thing, and required at sporting events across the country. I was able to go to Skate America 2019 without a clear bag.

By the way, I used this bag for Skate America 2021, it was surprisingly spacious for a 12×12×6 bag!

Last edited:

muptgirl

On the Ice
Do we know if official practices are open to the public or if you need to have certain tickets? I likely can only come for 1-2 actual events but might be able to get to a practice.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Clear bags are pretty standard at sporting events and yes you can carry a regular bag and it will be searched, the clear bags make it so much easier to get through security. Also best not to bring food and especially drinks into the venue on the main nights of competition when the concessions are open

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Did anyone else get a marketing email from Christian at US Figure Skating today, encouraging you to call him for assistance in buying tickets for Nationals? With links for purchase, travel information, etc?

I mean, I can’t go, but I am glad to see USFS make such a professional and encouraging outreach effort!

Rebecca Moose

proud Tonia K fan since '95
On the Ice
Country
United-States
maybe someone explained this before and I need another double shot of Prevagen (TM) but why does USFS insist on holding nationals so late? last week of january is ridiculous and seems to be a disadvantage for the athletes imo. I can't think of any other country in the northern hemisphere that has a later national championship?