Korea revenge in 2018? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Korea revenge in 2018?

Look at it this way. If Putin can protect the athletes from Chechnyian terrorists, I am confident that Korean authorities can protect them from angry figure skating fans.

moviechick

On the Ice
Look at it this way. If Putin can protect the athletes from Chechnyian terrorists, I am confident that Korean authorities can protect them from angry figure skating fans.

Does their president hunt bears while riding horseback without a shirt?

jkun

Final Flight
If that's the case, then they need to get their heads checked and learn to not take this so seriously.

Not to say that Koreans would be justified in bothering Russians, but the country and its people have a long history of being subjugated. Even though Korea has worked hard to become an international power it is still dwarfed by most developed nations. Because of this history of being on the short end of the stick, a lot of Koreans are resilient and outspoken, especially when they find themselves feeling like their nation's relatively small power seems to influence events. Even if it is something like figure skating.

usethis2

Medalist
"Something small like figure skating" sounds a vast understatement. I thought the nation's clock stops running when Yuna is on.

hurrah

Medalist
They may have a chance, they may not. BUT, they should brace themselves for the possibility/eventuality that Sochi will come back to haunt them. Just sayin'.

bekalc

Record Breaker
They may have a chance, they may not. BUT, they should brace themselves for the possibility/eventuality that Sochi will come back to haunt them. Just sayin'.

The crowd are not judges. And besides I'm sure Russia has a new goal-four gold medals in Korea. Team, ladies, pairs, and dance... There are benefits to having your countries's coaches all throughout the world. But hey if Korea wanted revenge, they'd recruit one of the Russian little prodigies...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that's like asking if Japan will do well skating in Chinese soil, during the China-Japan row back in 2012
guess what, Mao won at 2012 Cup of China :sarcasm:

hurrah

Medalist
The crowd are not judges. And besides I'm sure Russia has a new goal-four gold medals in Korea. Team, ladies, pairs, and dance... There are benefits to having your countries's coaches all throughout the world. But hey if Korea wanted revenge, they'd recruit one of the Russian little prodigies...

Or try and get together a judging panel that is anti-Russia? And come up with a tech panel that is anti-Russia?
I'm not saying it's gonna happen. But Russians have to know that it's a possibility. 'Cause you know, what comes around, goes around....

hurrah

Medalist
that's like asking if Japan will do well skating in Chinese soil, during the China-Japan row back in 2012
guess what, Mao won at 2012 Cup of China :sarcasm:

I don't think Japanese Fed ever did anything blatantly anti-Chinese Fed.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I have a feeling Russia will have alot less success in figure skating at the Olympics in Korea, but will do even better in other sports. I think they will break the Canadian's all time Winter Olympics record for golds with 15 or 16 (Canada won 14 in Vancouver). Kriukov who had a dissapointing Olympics with 0 golds here, will win 2. In figure skating they will win only 1 or 2 golds though, probably the pairs followed by the dance as most likely.

yuki90

On the Ice
One thing is sure. All figure skating fans in Korea will never support or cheer Russian Skaters like Russian audience did in Sochi.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I have a feeling Russia will have alot less success in figure skating at the Olympics in Korea, but will do even better in other sports. I think they will break the Canadian's all time Winter Olympics record for golds with 15 or 16 (Canada won 14 in Vancouver). Kriukov who had a dissapointing Olympics with 0 golds here, will win 2. In figure skating they will win only 1 or 2 golds though, probably the pairs followed by the dance as most likely.

I agree pairs and Ice Dance with Elena / Nikita who will do dominate next quad

hurrah

Medalist
I agree pairs and Ice Dance with Elena / Nikita who will do dominate next quad

I don't think we can know who will be the dominant teams four years from now, but I am sure the Russian pair and dance team will be successful for the next 1-2 years. Three years from now, it's possible the geography will have changed or at least have started to change.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
Somehow I feel as though most of the Russian skaters will leave the Pyeongchang Olympics disappointed. I think memories of how corrupt the Sochi games were in terms of home ice figure skating scoring have left an indelible mark in our sport that won't be forgotten in four years. Now, if every other skater implodes and only the Russians skate well...that may be a different story. However, should anyone else attack and show "heart," I think it's toast for the Russians at the next Winter Olympics. Sad, but it's understandable.

luckily, no matter how corrupt any isu panel is in pyeongchang, it won't be so corrupt as to employ random idiotic keyboard warriors from GoldenSkate.

remember the controversy in SLC? where the evil ruskies tried to steal the gold from sale/pelletier? notwithstanding the fact that this was one of the worst controversies in figure skating history, 4 years later a russian team won the pairs gold in Turin.

"russian skaters being robbed justified medals 4 years in from now in Pyeongchang because of anger yuna was robbed" is "Yuna fan on goldenskate" fantasy - it's not real life.

GROW UP.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:laugh:

but hey the deplorable S/P were gracious and deserved winners
any criticism of this greatest pairs skater of all time is unacceptable

gourry

Final Flight
Of course they have chance in PC.
Koreans will never forget, but they know how to behave as a good host. Russians will get enough, polite response from Korean audience. Just don't expect the same kind of ecstatic response as from Russians because they'll never get that kind of response outside of Russia anyway.

chronos13

Rinkside
Are you trolling? I live in Korea, and many Koreans are extremely upset that Kim Yuna lost because they believe that she was robbed. A lot of the disappointment stems from the fact that the scores and judges do raise suspicion, but this is for another discussion. There is no hate directed at Russia, but moreso at the perceived corruption and the judges involved.

However, it is extremely rude, close-minded and ignorant of you to assume that all Koreans view Russia as an "axis of evil" and that they will carry this grudge forever. Koreans are extremely proud and honored that they will be hosting the next Winter Olympics, which is perceived to be their "coming out party," so they will want to avoid any form of controversy.

Besides, Yuna Kim will not be competing in Pyeongchang and there probably won't be any serious medal contenders for South Korea in figure skating. There is no logical reason that Korea will risk international prestige to bribe judges in marking down the Russians in an event they don't have a chance in winning.

vfvh

Rinkside
Of course they have chance in PC.
Koreans will never forget, but they know how to behave as a good host. Russians will get enough, polite response from Korean audience. Just don't expect the same kind of ecstatic response as from Russians because they'll never get that kind of response outside of Russia anyway.

Maybe except for Adelina.