Skating music you never want to hear again? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skating music you never want to hear again?

poleptina

Rinkside
On the subject of tired warhorses, I cannot stand orchestral versions of "Dark Eyes." Gah. (No offense intended to Sasha or Julia, whose skating I adore.)_

anyanka

Record Breaker
Q. Can the ISU produce a list of "Thou Shalt Not Use The Following Music This Season" to make it bearable for us fans? To avoid overuse? How about limiting the usage of particular pieces of music to ONE competitor ONLY? The list would include (as I put in my post earlier):

Scheherazade
Carmen
Swan Lake
Firebird

And expand to include:

Les Mis
Phantom of the Opera
Tango de Roxanne
Sing Sing Sing
Tosca
Turandot
Masquerade Waltz (Khatchaturian)
Sleeping Beauty

Or perhaps they can issue a rotating list saying "these cannot be used this year", especially the year after it was done well. That would include:

Bolero
Rach 2
Adios Nonino
Romeo & Juliet (all three: Tchaikovsky, Nino Rota, that 1996 movie)

It would certainly force the skaters to be more creative and challenge themselves with more obscure pieces of music, but push the limits and boundaries of how they can express themselves.

What do you all think? Can we recommend this to the ISU?

bebevia

On the Ice
- Liebestraum: Ilia Kulik's was the best and never exceeded by others
- El Tango de Roxanne: Yuna's was the first good program of it; the rest are very... not good.
- Tchaikovski's Swan Lake: Just stop; there was none I felt like a statement piece (except Ashley's Black Swan, but it's not 100% Tchaikovski), and I gave up hoping for The One
- Gangnam Style: done once, never again; only because I've heard it off-ice like... you know. Rihanna, likewise.

Tchaikovsky didn't write Romeo & Juliet

He did write an overture-fantasy "Romeo and Juliet," which has been used by Gordeyeva/Grinkov, I believe, and probably by others. The ballet used by Annissina/Piezerat was from the Prokofiev ballet. Then there is also the Nino Rota (I think) music from the sound track of the Zeffirelli film. All three versions are very useful for skaters, though we could perhaps get tired of any of them from time to time.

mskater93

Record Breaker
There's a youtube video (which I can't get to at work) of an adult skater doing the Top 10 Overused Skating Music. Use that in your search. Quite funny (as a disclaimer, no, it's not me, I wish I was that creative!)

Re: Sting, please allow me to recommend his CD called "Songs from the Labyrinth." John Dowland lute songs -- sheesh, who knew? He doesn't have the world's greatest voice but that doesn't matter a rusty skate blade because it's totally right for the music. And his rendition of the texts is amazing. Trust me, you haven't lived until you've heard him sing "Come Again, Sweet Love Doth Now Invite."

To everyone else, sorry to be veering far off-topic! I promise to try to behave myself in future. :biggrin:

I'm way ahead of you! I love that album, and it has pieces that could be used for skaters interested in trying music from other eras. My favorite selection is the first one, "Can She Excuse My Wrongs." Stupendous arrangement, though I agree that his voice is not ideal. The verse he performs with (I think) multiple tracks of his own voice is gorgeous, and of course the lute is splendid. Hats off to him for bringing Dowland into the popular spotlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6STEOfFJl0

vinganca

Rinkside
I'm way ahead of you! I love that album, and it has pieces that could be used for skaters interested in trying music from other eras. My favorite selection is the first one, "Can She Excuse My Wrongs." Stupendous arrangement, though I agree that his voice is not ideal. The verse he performs with (I think) multiple tracks of his own voice is gorgeous, and of course the lute is splendid. Hats off to him for bringing Dowland into the popular spotlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6STEOfFJl0

i was just listening to that today! & it warms my icy little heart that there are other music nerds on GS. :) i really don't like his technique, but i love that he presented something totally different, if that makes sense. Olympia, have you heard Paul Agnew's Dowland albums? highly recommended. :)

okay sorry, i'll get back on topic now. :p

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I must confess that I'd love to see a girl skating dramatically to Walkürenritt wearing tons of eyeliner and black lipstick.

I'd find it hilarious if Ashley Wagner skated to it. :p

Myself, I wouldn't mind never again hearing at a skating contest:
a) the Phantom of the Opera (or if they at least chose the less famous themes such as Learn to be Lonely)
b) same for My Fair Lady, why does noone skate to Embassy Waltz or Ascot Gavotte or On the Street Where You Live
c) Pirates of the Caribbean,
d) Skyfall,
e) Memory,
f) Don't Cry for me Argentina,
g) Rhapsody in Blue,
h) and any cover version of anything, popmusic especially, that completely destroys and changes the original tune: the unrecognizable Beatles re-do medleys are especially vile, and so used to be Abba re-do medleys.

Swan Lakes and Carmens, I don't mind, unless h)

Manitou

Medalist
Grand classical pieces, like First Piano Concerto by Tchaikovsky. Never! Unless you are so great that you can perform to it and match it. Which is impossible. There is nothing worse than a mediocre skating to a grand classical piece.
But even if you are great it's still overwhelming and distracting.

i was just listening to that today! & it warms my icy little heart that there are other music nerds on GS. :) i really don't like his technique, but i love that he presented something totally different, if that makes sense. Olympia, have you heard Paul Agnew's Dowland albums? highly recommended. :)

okay sorry, i'll get back on topic now. :p

You ARE on topic! Part of what enriches a thread like this is that music mavens show up with such eagerness, and then the amazing suggestions begin. Indeed there are a lot of music nerds here, which is a wonderful state of affairs, isn't it? On the related "music skaters should skate to" thread, people have been bringing forth all sorts of Baroque opera stuff. I just hope the skating community has as many music nerds as we have, so that going forward, there will be a wider range of music in competitions. We can dream, can't we?

anyanka

Record Breaker
You ARE on topic! Part of what enriches a thread like this is that music mavens show up with such eagerness, and then the amazing suggestions begin. Indeed there are a lot of music nerds here, which is a wonderful state of affairs, isn't it? On the related "music skaters should skate to" thread, people have been bringing forth all sorts of Baroque opera stuff. I just hope the skating community has as many music nerds as we have, so that going forward, there will be a wider range of music in competitions. We can dream, can't we?

I'm sure Lori Nichol is here somewhere, peeking ... ;)