Does a piece of music 'belong' to a favourite skater? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Does a piece of music 'belong' to a favourite skater?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Classic FM in the UK (although it may also broadcast internationally?) does a similar 'Hall of Fame' countdown of 300 classical pieces every year which are chosen by public vote. Only 3 pieces have won multiple times: Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No.2, Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending and Bruch - Violin Concerto. There's lots of moaning online every year, but especially when The Lark wins!
As my man Jimmy says "something boring like Rachmaninoff."

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm mildly surprised that GOT, Harry Potter and Star Wars don't seem to have become warhorses. But thinking about GOT, both Paul Fenz (the main theme) and Trusova (the Night King) come straight to mind.

A Beautiful Storm is Kihira's.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Sinnerman will be linked to Jason Brown like Bolero is linked to Torvill and Dean.

But then I thought Vincent ("Starry Starry Night") would be forever linked to Gilles / Poirier and it seems like everybody and his brother skated to it shortly after they did!

Magill

Record Breaker
I'm mildly surprised that GOT, Harry Potter and Star Wars don't seem to have become warhorses. But thinking about GOT, both Paul Fenz (the main theme) and Trusova (the Night King) come straight to mind.

A Beautiful Storm is Kihira's.
BBC's Sherlock (the one with Benedict Cumberbatch) striking soundtrack does not seem to have been used much, either, if at all. There was a time when I was actually really waiting for someone to pick it up, I just liked it so much and was curious what could be done with it.

And Parisienne Walkways is Yuzuru Hanyu's forever I think :love:

boysoprano

Rinkside
By 1928 Ravel was already in the grip of the neurological disease that would kill him. At the first public performance of Bolero, a member of the audience called out, You're mad." To which Ravel replied, "She gets it!"
let's not forget that bolero IS the basis of memory by ALW, whose themes are very explicitly stated as being degeneration, memory and loss.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
BBC's Sherlock (the one with Benedict Cumberbatch) striking soundtrack does not seem to have been used much, either, if at all. There was a time when I was actually really waiting for someone to pick it up, I just liked it so much and was curious what could be done with it.

Stephen Gogolev did Sherlock in juniors. It's popped up a couple of times on the JGP/at senior events with lesser known skaters, I'm not sure why it's not more popular though.

I'm also not sure why Lord of the Rings is not more popular :bang:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I admire Cumberbatch's acting, and I love that series, and I kinda like the music...

But Lord spare me another Sherlock Holmes program with the "smoking a pipe" and "peering through a magnifying glass" pantomime. Ditto on a Chaplin program with the waddling and swinging the cane and fake-tripping. And especially ditto on any remotely Middle Eastern sounding program, which are apparently required by law to include the King Tut arm pose.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I admire Cumberbatch's acting, and I love that series, and I kinda like the music...

But Lord spare me another Sherlock Holmes program with the "smoking a pipe" and "peering through a magnifying glass" pantomime. Ditto on a Chaplin program with the waddling and swinging the cane and fake-tripping. And especially ditto on any remotely Middle Eastern sounding program, which are apparently required by law to include the King Tut arm pose.
giphy.gif

But Lord spare me ... a Chaplin program with the waddling and swinging the cane and fake-tripping.

But this one was wonderful for Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze. :love: :

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But this one was wonderful for Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze. :love: :

It was also their favorite program.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do remember Ricky Dornbush skating to "Sherlock Holmes" @ US Nationals (2011, I think), and winning the silver medal there.

One of Todd E.'s relatively early programs that stood out for me was his Chaplin program (circa 1993). It showed me that he had a sense of humor beyond his over all serious persona. Is it the ultimate Chaplin program? No, but I quite liked it, and was glad to see that he could skate a light hearted program as well as the "serious" ones.

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker

I agree this is not a task for everyone but I am pretty sure someone like Javier Fernandez could pull off an amazing Sherlock routine :love:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I don't think the soundtracks from Sherlock, Star Wars, Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings actually scream figure skating music. To be fair others that get picked more often don't either to me, but in a way I can understand these are not such popular choices. Gladiator or Zorro offer themselves much more I think.