What Makes Davis and White So Special? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What Makes Davis and White So Special?

Interesting point about ballet, WeakAnkles. I would add that one of the reasons the great George Balanchine came to America was to establish a company that realized his neoclassic viewpoint. He felt that the some of the more established companies in Europe were too entrenched to do full justice to his choreography. FWIW, I remember seeing a documentary a few years ago on PBS where members of the Bolshoi trained and took classes with the NYCB. Now, these were all dancers at the top of their game, and even they said they could not get used to the speed and precision with which the NYCB dancers moved, especially the complicated footwork.

When Baryshnikov came to this country, one of his goals was to dance with the NYCB because he appreciated their new way of dancing.

As for Charlie and Meryl conveying the idea of an off-ice romance, I've never seen anything about that. On that Colbert show, Charlie and/or Meryl specifically denied a relationship, though he didn't go into detail about whom he was actually with. By this time judges all know what's what with each couple, and they've seen all combinations of romance/non-romance before now anyway. Besides, chemistry doesn't come from circumstance. (We've all seen movies where the co-stars are married or are lovers and show no electricity whatever.) Chemistry comes from the skills and connection shown by the two skaters.

I remember one lovely comment that Sergei Ponomarenko once made about skating with Marina Klimova. They were married at the time, but Sergei said that on the ice he did not think of them as husband and wife. He thought of them as lovers.

As for Tessa and Scott, I never thought of them as coming across as siblings. They're plenty romantic and steamy on the ice. I'm pretty confident that I'm not the only viewer drawn into their skating by the spell they cast with their chemistry.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There are many quotes from Charlie about the charade......just Google. Charlie White's girlfriend. Don't shoot the messanger.

:rofl: If White has given a lot of quotes about "the charade," then it is not much of a charade.

No need to shoot the messenger, because the "message" does not make any sense. :laugh:

millie

Medalist
:rofl: If White has given a lot of quotes about "the charade," then it is not much of a charade.

No need to shoot the messenger, because the "message" does not make any sense. :laugh:

As I said in a previous post "Just quoting Charlie"!!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As I said in a previous post "Just quoting Charlie"!!!!

For the second and last time:
If White is talking about what he is supposedly "hiding," then he is not hiding anything. You cannot have it both ways.​

millie

Medalist
For the second and last time:
If White is talking about what he is supposedly "hiding," then he is not hiding anything. You cannot have it both ways.​

Have you ever heard Charlie stating in public, through news conferences (Yahoo Sports) or any other sources that he is involved with Tanith and has been living with her for years. Just do some research and you will find out why.....because he does answer the question for one reason....public perception about him and Meryl. quote unquote

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Charlie has never tried to hide his relationship with Tanith. At nationals, his mother was in the stands talking about Charlie and Tanith being engaged. I doubt that Charlie's mother would have been talking about his engagement if Charlie was trying to hide the relationship.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Have you ever heard Charlie stating in public, through news conferences (Yahoo Sports) or any other sources that he is involved with Tatum and has been living with her for years. Just do some research and you will find out why.....because he does answer the question for one reason....public perception about him and Meryl. quote unquote

Oh maybe he wants to keep the relationship private for his own personal reason. He has no obligation to the public to reveal anything. But as others have noted, he's never tried to hide his relationship with Tanith. I feel the media reports have been highly exaggerated.

When I was at Skate America in 2012, I definitely saw Tanith hanging out with Charlie around the event hotel....so if they were trying to "keep a secret" they were doing a poor job at it.

ETA: Here is the Yahoo! Sports article with the relevant parts: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/here-s...-know-who-he-s-dating-052659194-olympics.html

However, while most men would surely want to tell the world if they were lucky enough to be in his situation, White admitted that he tries to keep his off-ice partnership with Belbin a secret, for competitive reasons.

When asked by Yahoo Sports recently about the fact that during the last Olympics his relationship with Belbin was kept on the "down low," White said: "It actually still is. So probably ... we don't really talk about it. As an ice dancer, we take our on-ice relationships so seriously, and that's really the way we like to go about it. [Davis and I] are just presenting ourselves as a team, and all the rest of that [with Belbin] can wait for later."

There is no direct quote saying that Charlie is trying to keep some love charade with Meryl. But rather that the priority is the PROFESSIONAL on-ice relationship he has with Meryl. Given their goals to win OGM, it makes sense that the on-ice partnership would be the priority. He never says point blank that the relationship is a secret, but rather he chooses to not discuss it. Why is that such a big deal?

The only person who needs to care about the status of their relationship is Tanith herself. It's really none of our business as fans.

ETA 2: Also regarding this point:

Both Belbin and White have generally remained tight-lipped on their love life and rarely mention each other on social media, with little in the way of public displays of affection since this tweet from Belbin back in 2011.

Both Charlie and Tanith use Twitter for professional purposes, so it's not that much of a stretch to think that they wouldn't gush or mention each other on Twitter. I rarely mention my husband on my Twitter account, which I usually mainly for professional reasons (though I may have a personal tweet now and then) Does that mean I'm trying to hide my lovely Mr. P from the world?

Charlie has never tried to hide his relationship with Tanith. At nationals, his mother was in the stands talking about Charlie and Tanith being engaged. I doubt that Charlie's mother would have been talking about his engagement if Charlie was trying to hide the relationship.

I knew they were dating...have been for a long time. But they're engaged?!

I remember back when Tanith was supposedly dating Evan Lysacek, the television networks never passed up an oportunity to show Tanith in the stands when Evan was skating. Like, "Look, Lysacek has a girl friend!"

To me, Meryl and Charlie never tried to dance in a romantic style, except in the sense of "the romance of the grand ballroom." Tessa and Scott either. I never felt like, ooo I wonder if they are a couple off the ice. Torvill and Dean either. They were always dancers putting on an exhibition of dancing..

Romantic dancers? That would be Dubreuil and Lauzon.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh maybe he wants to keep the relationship private for his own personal reason. He has no obligation to the public to reveal anything. But as others have noted, he's never tried to hide his relationship with Tanith. I feel the media reports have been highly exaggerated.

When I was at Skate America in 2012, I definitely saw Tanith hanging out with Charlie around the event hotel....so if they were trying to "keep a secret" they were doing a poor job at it.

ETA: Here is the Yahoo! Sports article with the relevant parts: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/here-s...-know-who-he-s-dating-052659194-olympics.html

However, while most men would surely want to tell the world if they were lucky enough to be in his situation, White admitted that he tries to keep his off-ice partnership with Belbin a secret, for competitive reasons.

When asked by Yahoo Sports recently about the fact that during the last Olympics his relationship with Belbin was kept on the "down low," White said: "It actually still is. So probably ... we don't really talk about it. As an ice dancer, we take our on-ice relationships so seriously, and that's really the way we like to go about it. [Davis and I] are just presenting ourselves as a team, and all the rest of that [with Belbin] can wait for later."

Thanks for the quote, Mrs. P. :)

Have you ever heard Charlie stating in public, through news conferences (Yahoo Sports) or any other sources that he is involved with Tatum and has been living with her for years. Just do some research and you will find out why.....because he does answer the question for one reason....public perception about him and Meryl. quote unquote

See Mrs. P's post above.

But wait a minute ... Charlie White is involved with Tatum O'Neal :eek:?!? Does Meryl Davis know that he's cheating on her!?! :rofl:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

millie

Medalist
I saw that too! Not to mention the fact that Tatum O'Neal is nearly twice Charlie's age. ROAAAARRR COUGARRRR!

And you have it all wrong, golden411. Charlie is cheating on Meryl with....Ashley Wagner!!

http://www.bustle.com/articles/1632...ves-on-from-meryl-davis-in-closi ceremonies

Charlie is out of the closet with regards to Meryl...probably he will bring Tanith out of the closet also. Hahahaha. Seriously, a lot of fans did not see through his pretense of his love affair with Meryl and those stupid judges didn't see it either.

LauraV

On the Ice
Charlie is out of the closet with regards to Meryl...probably he will bring Tanith out of the closet also. Hahahaha. Seriously, a lot of fans did not see through his pretense of his love affair with Meryl and those stupid judges didn't see it either.

Sigh.

No one was ever fooled by any pretense because there was no pretense in the first place.

This sounds a bit like the saga of Scott and Tessa's "secret baby." No story is too far fetched for some people.......

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I remember back when Tanith was supposedly dating Evan Lysacek, the television networks never passed up an oportunity to show Tanith in the stands when Evan was skating. Like, "Look, Lysacek has a girl friend!"

See, it really is just like Hollywood... ;)

keasus, my neighbor is a member of the NYCB. I look after her apartment, bring in the mail, sometimes take care of her cat when she and her boyfriend aren't home or on tour (he's a musician). I'll have to pass along your remarks to her. She's also a skating fan (and for the record, she does not have kind things to say about I/K, but then again she once told me she loves to dance crunk!).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Sigh.

No one was ever fooled by any pretense because there was no pretense in the first place.

This sounds a bit like the saga of Scott and Tessa's "secret baby." No story is too far fetched for some people.......

I read that website about Voir's "secret love child"--and marriage, if I remember correctly. On the one hand I wanted to laugh, but on the other it was SO delusional that it really is more sad than funny.

Now, now Mrs. P. Fess up. You keep it on the downlow about Mr P because it is really YOU who is having a torrid affair with Charlie White!!!!!!!!!!

(LOL, that makes about as much sense as all the rest of this!)

;)

See, it really is just like Hollywood... ;)

keasus, my neighbor is a member of the NYCB. I look after her apartment, bring in the mail, sometimes take care of her cat when she isn't home or on tour. I'll have to pass along your remarks to her. She's also a skating fan (and for the record, she does not have kind things to say about I/K, but then again she once told me she loves to dance crunk!).

Way cool! I'm always fascinated to hear what dancers think about figure skating. Sometime, I hope you can give us some more insights from her. For one thing, I'm curious about what she thinks about both Tessa and Mao, both of whom have studied ballet. Do you happen to recall the video someone on GS found after Vancouver in 2010, on which a dance expert (an older woman active in the dance world; I can't offhand recall whether she was a reviewer or a choreographer or what) gave a detailed and impassioned argument about why she thought that Mao should have won the gold because of the beauty of her movements?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I read that website about Voir's "secret love child"--and marriage, if I remember correctly. On the one hand I wanted to laugh, but on the other it was SO delusional that it really is more sad than funny.

Now, now Mrs. P. Fess up. You keep it on the downlow about Mr P because it is really YOU who is having a torrid affair with Charlie White!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I sort of want the secret baby thing to be true because I mean...it would be truly impressive that Tessa managed to pull that off while winning competitions! :laugh: I kid.

Well, I'm not as old as Tatum O'Neal....but Charlie graduated from high school the year after I graduated from COLLEGE. ROOOOARRRR COUGGGAAAR!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Way cool! I'm always fascinated to hear what dancers think about figure skating. Sometime, I hope you can give us some more insights from her. For one thing, I'm curious about what she thinks about both Tessa and Mao, both of whom have studied ballet. Do you happen to recall the video someone on GS found after Vancouver in 2010, on which a dance expert (an older woman active in the dance world; I can't offhand recall whether she was a reviewer or a choreographer or what) gave a detailed and impassioned argument about why she thought that Mao should have won the gold because of the beauty of her movements?

LOL, this is Manhattan, so I don't see her that often. I just met a downstairs' neighbor for the first time (he's lived there 2 years) only because I locked myself out of the building throwing out garbage and he was the only one who answered his bell! But what I can tell you is that my dancer neighbor seems to have a knack for seeing all the performances where Elena makes a mistake and gives up! I haven't talked to her since the Olympics so maybe her opinion changed!