What Makes Davis and White So Special? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What Makes Davis and White So Special?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You're welcome. I'm still missing Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes, so I know I'm going to be, in one respect, a sad puppy next year without that rivalry. Oh for the days of the Pro Circuit!

How could you not miss something like this?
http://tr.pinterest.com/pin/550142910700834518/

LOL!

Hey don't blame you. People are super passionate about comics. My newspaper sent out a survey about comics and we got THOUSANDS of responses. Then when we introduced the new comics (and got rid of some of the older ones) the editor was on "comic customer service" for WEEKS.

If only people were as passionate about civic issues as they were about comics....

Darnella2005

Rinkside
Merly and Charlie were interviewed by Us Weekly and said they would “love” to compete on ABC’s Dancing With the Stars if they were asked. If they were to appear on DWTS, it would be the first time in 17 years that the five-time champs would compete against each other. As for dream partners? Davis said she would stick with Hough (who helped choreograph their My Fair Lady-themed short dance) while White asked, “Is it too late to get his sister (Julianne Hough) back on the show?! :)

slutskayafann

Rinkside
They look classy. Sometimes ice dancing doesn't look like a sport, rather like the American movie Chicago. But they look classy.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like that description of them too, Mrs. P. I think it's their effervescence and quickness that I love as well. Tessa and Scott are more lyrical and fluid, more mysterious and subtle. Meryl and Charlie are quicksilver and sunlit. I that this quality of Meryl and Charlie's first really leaped out at me with their De Fledermaus dance, which perfectly evoked the frothy, buoyant atmosphere of Vienna during its golden age.

I still can't believe our good luck that we have had two such astonishing couples to enjoy at one time.

I think the special qualities that Meryl and Charlie hold are their commitment and hard work. Sure, they have the talent, a phenomenal coach who studies the point system and understands how to make the most of a team. But they strike me as very smart folks who not only surround themselves with the right people but put in all the hard work that's necessary to achieve at this level. As someone smart said, genius is 10 % inspiration and 90% perspiration.

:agree: And IMHO, their Samson & Delilah (2009 US Nationals, 2009 Worlds) program is phenomenal, too. :love:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Consistency, power, speed, classy reputation and hard work. They are VERY intelligent competitors.

CassAgain

On the Ice
Consistency, power, speed, classy reputation and hard work. They are VERY intelligent competitors.

Agree. Their consistency and mental toughness shown by having very, very few major errors in the past two seasons and also by being able to perform under any pressure made the difference for them. I think they were also able to take set-backs and use them perfectly as motivation.

Zamboni

On the Ice
This is a loaded question.

Davis/White are sole point-getters. They are very astute CoP skaters who have studied how to get points and as a result sacrificing quality of basics. In addition, their basic skating is nowhere as strong as V/M and neither is their presentation, IMO.
I don't appreciate their mechanical arms, stiffness and the way they sometimes hop and run to get speed. I would also like them to hold their edges and their lines longer, but that just isn't happening. Their range of movement is too limited to be great ice dancers, IMO. Coomes/Buckland is heading into this direction of ice dancing, and I don't like it. The likes of D/W is what is so wrong about the IJS for ice dancing.

Accumulating points is what they do best, and that is what makes them stand out, I think.

I think this thread should be, What Makes Davis and White so Special in America ?? Or, What Makes Davis and White so Special in the history of U.S. Ice Dancing ?

Since they are WORLD Champions and OLYMPIC Champions, I guess it isn't just in America.

RiceSkate

Rinkside
What makes them so special is that don't whine on their reality shows or in the news about losing a competition and throw shade left and right at other competitors.

RiceSkate

Rinkside
Also I think Meryl and Charlie looking striking together. Him with his hair and her with her Disney princess features. V/M look like brother and sister sometimes and Tessa should never have had that nose job.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Tessa had a nose job? When, I must not be paying attention but I haven't noticed a thing!

bramweld

Record Breaker
What makes them so special is that don't whine on their reality shows or in the news about losing a competition and throw shade left and right at other competitors.

I hope though all this is courtesy of the editing but Tessa did come across as more than a bit insecure.

millie

Medalist
Also I think Meryl and Charlie looking striking together. Him with his hair and her with her Disney princess features. V/M look like brother and sister sometimes and Tessa should never have had that nose job.

It's strange that Charlie is still hiding behind the pretense that him and Meryl are in love although He and Tanith have been living together for years. Charlie explained that the importance of having the skating audience and the judges believe he and Davis are in love was paramount. They have to keep this pretense going for awhile yet because they have to show the public that they are still together for the monetary value. Even at the Oscars he is still keeping it going, all for the show value.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's strange that Charlie is still hiding behind the pretense that him and Meryl are in love although He and Tanith have been living together for years. Charlie explained that the importance of having the skating audience and the judges believe he and Davis are in love was paramount. They have to keep this pretense going for awhile yet because they have to show the public that they are still together for the monetary value. Even at the Oscars he is still keeping it going, all for the show value.

Sources please for this. I've never heard him say anything like that, including his "I love you" at the Olympics, which was far more of a "we've achieved what we set out to do" friends vibe than anything you've just stated. So...some actual sources please.

caitie

Medalist
Charlie did explain to some journalist that he keeps his relationship with Tanith private partly because he and Meryl have to create the illusion that they are in love for most of their performances, and having a public relationship with another ice skater might throw the audience/judges off. (paraphrasing here)

I felt that the Yahoo Sports people ran a little too far with that tidbit and wrote an article about how Charlie was ~hiding his relationship with Tanith and Bustle said it was like the Hunger Games where Charlie is Katniss and Meryl is Peeta, and they have to fake being a couple to win ... which I guess makes Tanith Gale... so not the best comparison, lol.

But anyway, I really don't agree with the idea that Charlie has ever pretended he and Meryl are in love, they have always said they are both in other relationships, they just don't publicize them.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
When has he ever pretended that? It's pretty clear that they have a friendly relationship, not a romantic one.

Considering their ages when they teamed up, I'd be surprised if it were otherwise.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I must have missed that. Thank you for enlightening me.

I've never read the Hunger Games, so I'll take your word for the romantic parallels... ;)

Really, it's just like being LGBT in Hollywood. One would hope that the next generation finally is above all such nonsense.

keasus

On the Ice
Interesting point about ballet, WeakAnkles. I would add that one of the reasons the great George Balanchine came to America was to establish a company that realized his neoclassic viewpoint. He felt that the some of the more established companies in Europe were too entrenched to do full justice to his choreography. FWIW, I remember seeing a documentary a few years ago on PBS where members of the Bolshoi trained and took classes with the NYCB. Now, these were all dancers at the top of their game, and even they said they could not get used to the speed and precision with which the NYCB dancers moved, especially the complicated footwork.

ranjake

Final Flight
Sources please for this. I've never heard him say anything like that, including his "I love you" at the Olympics, which was far more of a "we've achieved what we set out to do" friends vibe than anything you've just stated. So...some actual sources please.

Never knew that. I've heard them both say clearly every time they're asked that they are NOT dating. As for the illusion while skating? Of course they have to try to show that- and according to Stephen Colbert- they have, successfully :)

millie

Medalist

There are many quotes from Charlie about the charade......just Google. Charlie White's girlfriend. Don't shoot the messanger.