If you could cast a skating movie, whom would you cast? (from any era) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

If you could cast a skating movie, whom would you cast? (from any era)

BlackPack

Medalist
Yes, Kurt owns Singing in the Rain. Evan... while he has the looks... not a very interesting skater.

I would love to see Urmanov in anything!

flying camel

Medalist
I would cast Gracie and Ashley as skating rivals who would do anything to win. I would have Adam Rippon as their love interest.

moviechick

On the Ice
From the whole renowed skaters i saw in films and TV series, Kulik was the best, even when he was typecasted. His role was little (or choped of in editing), but it didn't screamed to me "look a figure skater OGM in a cameo role".

I am curious how would do Plushenko in a movie, as he likes to act and his exhibitions show that.

ITA Kulik would've had a decent shot at an acting career if he pursued it seriously. Obviously accents are always difficult to overcome in Hollywood but I was fairly impressed by him in Center Stage. However that movie mostly featured dancers rather than professional actors other than like Zoe Saldana and Sandy Cohen lol. Main thing is he doesn't over act, which happens a lot when non-actors try to act.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ITA Kulik would've had a decent shot at an acting career if he pursued it seriously. Obviously accents are always difficult to overcome in Hollywood but I was fairly impressed by him in Center Stage. However that movie mostly featured dancers rather than professional actors other than like Zoe Saldana and Sandy Cohen lol. Main thing is he doesn't over act, which happens a lot when non-actors try to act.

Apparently Ilia wasn't keen on the schedules and time demands after the Centre Stage experience, and he was also put off by seeing so much of his character end up on the cutting room floor. Sergei was originally supposed to have a much bigger role, including (apparently) a huge emotional scene that the behind-the-scenes people said Ilia did very beautifully. But woe.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Apparently Ilia wasn't keen on the schedules and time demands after the Centre Stage experience, and he was also put off by seeing so much of his character end up on the cutting room floor. Sergei was originally supposed to have a much bigger role, including (apparently) a huge emotional scene that the behind-the-scenes people said Ilia did very beautifully. But woe.

I loved Ilia's presence in Centre Stage and the film itself. A big emotional scene? I don't think that would have benefited the film. His character was such a cheery presence. There was already plenty of drama happening. The editing of the film is superb and has such an engaging flow. It's too bad that more actors don't understand the medium of film and are upset about their roles being shortened. It's not about you, it's about the big picture.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Oooh, I like the aliens, rogue hockey players, etc. It could be like Battle of the Blades gone insane. Rogue hockey players trying to take over the world, heroic skaters doing battle with them..

I'd like to see Katt Witt in a strong female role - maybe as a warrior princess? Xena? K. was brilliant in Carmen On Ice.

V/M - a Fred Astaire movie

D/W - a Gene Kelly movie

A movie where a strong female skater decides to blow the pretty ice princess role right out of the water.

Good idea, Olympia!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
So you don't find a tall, dark, handsome Russian who can do gorgeous 3axels and hip shakes interesting to watch? :biggrin:

Definitely "da" to tall/dark/handsome/Russian but "nyet" to Urmanov, sorry! :)

I actually went over to YouTube & watched a few of his programs to refresh my aging memory -- still can't see the point except for the 3As, most of which were beautiful (the height!) as were his long, elegant lines. IMO he's one of the few Russian singles skaters whose skating really reflected the kind of dance training that I adore watching in Russian pairs and ice dancers. Otherwise, meh. The costumes didn't help, either, come to think of it.

OTOH, I had an epic crush on Alexander Zhulin. :love: Usova/Zhulin are one of my favorite ID couples of all time and these days, it makes me sad to see that he hasn't aged all that well...

BlackPack

Medalist
skatedreamer, I think Urmanov was largely misguided by Mishin who just didn't care about anyone really after Plushenko showed up. Some of his programs weren't very good. I liked his Tango/Flamenco program, at least the first minute. Under the right guidance, say, Zoueva or someone who knows how to make good, memorable programs, Urmanov could have thrived. As you said, his basics, sense of style, and technical ability were there already. It seems he's struggling with his students these days; none of his students have made a huge mark on the world stage.

Zhulin still managed to land an 18 year-old who gave him another daughter, so he's still attractive to some people. And he captured the hearts of Navka and Usova at one point, so he's got the moves on and off the ice ;) I was never into Zhulin that way, though I thought Paul Duchesnay and Ponomarenko were hot.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
skatedreamer, I think Urmanov was largely misguided by Mishin who just didn't care about anyone really after Plushenko showed up. Some of his programs weren't very good. I liked his Tango/Flamenco program, at least the first minute. Under the right guidance, say, Zoueva or someone who knows how to make good, memorable programs, Urmanov could have thrived. As you said, his basics, sense of style, and technical ability were there already. It seems he's struggling with his students these days; none of his students have made a huge mark on the world stage.

Zhulin still managed to land an 18 year-old who gave him another daughter, so he's still attractive to some people. And he captured the hearts of Navka and Usova at one point, so he's got the moves on and off the ice ;) I was never into Zhulin that way, though I thought Paul Duchesnay and Ponomarenko were hot.
When Plushenko showed up Urmanov was Olympic champion and Plushenko was 11....

BlackPack

Medalist
Yes, and as soon as Plush appeared, he became Mishin's priority with Yagudin far behind. Urmanov suffered even worse withdrawal of attention from Mishin as time went by when his results didn't hold up and he suffered a groin injury that lasted for a long time.

Imagine

Medalist
Black Swan, Russian version:

Yulia Lipnitskaya --> Natalie Portman
Adelina Sotnikova --> Mila Kunis

Only, they don't do ballet and are rivals on ice....and none of that psycho, creepy stuff either....even though that's what drives the plot in the real film.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes, and as soon as Plush appeared, he became Mishin's priority with Yagudin far behind. Urmanov suffered even worse withdrawal of attention from Mishin as time went by when his results didn't hold up and he suffered a groin injury that lasted for a long time.

You know Alexei's version...because Alexei told this the American media and he was the big favorite in US thus Everybody believed him and Plu became the communist evil..But you can't know the story because you wasn't there..Alexei was very offended, but Plushy was a hard-working, like no other ..
Alexei also told that he can't win on Rus National Championships because Plushenko was the Rus Fed's favorite and he was punished, because he lived and trained in US...But the truth is totally difference..I know this isn't Plu's or Alexei's topic, but I think this is interesting..Maybe the 1998 Rus Nat was questionable both of them could have been a winner but in the other Rus Nat Plush clearly won....
Some weeks ago Yagudin tweeted that he and his family have been threatened by Plu's wife and her environment. That was a comedian's joke and he knew it, because the comedian told him. The comedian was very surprised and he said probably Alexei wanted to more media attention by Plushenko and his wife. :(

But yes, this would be an interesting story in a movie..

BlackPack

Medalist
Well, I remember Urmanov also saying the same thing about Mishin losing interest in him. Is it a coincidence that 2 major students complained about Mishin making Plush his priority?

Argh, sad to see Yagudin and Plush still feuding. Plush's wife is a well-connected woman. She is a music producer with many connections to the media and other powerful people. On Instagram, she's constantly posting photos of herself in high society events. I think Plush's stardom wouldn't have reached this level if it weren't for his wife's influence and possible lobbying. After all, she pushed him to go for a second gold according to an interview he gave. "You're an Olympic Gold Medalist, but not a 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist" Ambitious.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Well, I remember Urmanov also saying the same thing about Mishin losing interest in him. Is it a coincidence that 2 major students complained about Mishin making Plush his priority?

Argh, sad to see Yagudin and Plush still feuding. Plush's wife is a well-connected woman. She is a music producer with many connections to the media and other powerful people. On Instagram, she's constantly posting photos of herself in high society events. I think Plush's stardom wouldn't have reached this level if it weren't for his wife's influence and possible lobbying. After all, she pushed him to go for a second gold according to an interview he gave. "You're an Olympic Gold Medalist, but not a 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist" Ambitious.

Plushenko was incredible popular after 2006 without his wife. I think he was more popular without Yana....Yana is a celebrity many people adore and many people hate her....
Plushy had a reality show: Live with Plushenko ..you can watch the serie on Youtube. He was the presenter of great show between Russia and Ukrain.. He was the winner of Eurovision song contest with Dima Bilan and Edvin Marton...and he met with Yana Rudkovskaya..

Alexei Yagudin played a major role in the campaign against Plushenko after the withdrawal in Sochi. He went from talk show to talk show and spoke out against Plush. He was disgusting. But the real reason is he is envy of Plush's results and they are rival to each other even today. Pushenko wanted to organize a big show tour, what would be rival of Averbukh's shows where Alexei is a performer since a long time. I'm honest Plushy in most of cases didn't react to Alexei's malice...he prased him as his geatest rival...who helped him to win, who pushed him..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw

I'm enjoying everyone's ideas!

I think Ilia has just enough accent to make him sizzle onscreen, and I imagine that he'd do a good job with the acting. (I never could find Center Stage to watch, though hope springs eternal. Sometimes these things pop up on DVD sales shelves in the drugstore.) In terms of just screen presence, I actually think that Urmanov in his prime years would have been rather appealing. His English is fluent (though forgive me for assuming that the movie would have to be in English; there are other possibilities of course), and his voice is very nice. Plushy I think would be splendid in a movie--he's so relaxed in the spotlight. Witt of course has proved herself in front of the camera, both in Carmen on Ice and in interviews (and her appearance in the Tom Cruise movie Jerry McGuire. Dorothy Hamill would be an asset; she is visually appealing and also has a nice speaking voice. (Not that nasal whine that so many young American skaters have.) Both John Curry and Robin Cousins had acting experience (on the stage, I believe; Curry was in Brigadoon at least and I think in some other productions).

Neither Sasha nor Tara impressed me in any of their acting appearances during their career change attempts, but I'm willing to believe they could work hard and achieve better. Miki Ando was briefly in some film or other and would acquit herself well, I think. Golly, if Marina Klimova can talk at all, wouldn't she be enchanting in a film.

One poster mentioned Alexander Zhulin, and I understand completely. In his prime, he looked as though he could play the role of a slightly shady Russian emigre living in Paris after the Revolution--the sort who combed his hair back and smoked Sobranie cigarettes. Besides skating, of course he would take the leading lady out onto the dance floor for a seductive tango.

One early silent movie apparently featured Charlotte Oelschlagel (inventor of the Charlotte spiral revived by Michelle Kwan) as I think a spy or courier who ferried a message across icy rivers and/or canals. The movie was The Frozen Warning, made in 1916. So a skater taking part in a thrilling adventure wouldn't be unprecedented.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I'm actually kind of serious about this suggestion.

Do any of you remember the children's books "Ice Dancing" and "Ice Princess" by Nicholas Walker? They came out when I was about 12, so I was the right age to read them and just loved them. Amazon links are here: http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Dancing-N...F8&qid=1394729972&sr=1-1&keywords=ice+dancing and http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Princess-...m_sbs_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1X0TZWKQ4DKCYSGJN3DW

After Andrew Poje and Kaitlyn Weaver retire from competition they should really really really do these as movies. The books wouldn't need to be changed at all to be made into great movies (and I'd get really mad if they changed the book, just like I always do). Torvill and Dean are in the books, so they could make a cameo. You could add the Kerrs and Combs + Buckland in, as well, and there would be a large numbers of opportunities to get various other great teams to do cameos. There are even a few points where you could cast a dancer or two in a role.

I now REALLY want this to happen!

BlackPack

Medalist
Wow, Olympia, the universe in your mind is so romantic. Wish it were real. I'd have a great time!

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
One early silent movie apparently featured Charlotte Oelschlagel (inventor of the Charlotte spiral revived by Michelle Kwan) as I think a spy or courier who ferried a message across icy rivers and/or canals. The movie was The Frozen Warning, made in 1916. So a skater taking part in a thrilling adventure wouldn't be unprecedented.

Bond girls have come from all types of backgrounds, professions, looks. They could certainly weave in a beautiful ice queen Bond girl plotline :p Yuna would be perfect hahaha