Can you advise a fitter in France ? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can you advise a fitter in France ?

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Hi guys, I'm checking in with some news !
So I did a virtual fitting with Lara from Everglides 2 weeks ago, based on the pictures I sent she noticed I have a square toe box + high arch. I'm visiting them for the in-person fitting on Wednesday and she mentioned Jackson Debut as being the best boot try for me, even if we would be looking at other boots too. She said Edea was best for triangle toe boxes, so it sort of is off the table for me. Correctly self-measuring my feet for the virtual appointment, they are 24 cm long so she's thinking 250 for my boot size.
As for the blades, she mentioned the Legacy 7 : I was reading @Vladik 's thread on the subject, it seems we have very similar experiences with their pro Legacy speech ;) I will try to ask for Coronation Ace blades if possible.
If it's not too much to ask, I would love to know @Ic3Rabbit and @WednesdayMarch 's opinion on all this !
Thank you very much for your help !

Vladik

On the Ice
So I did a virtual fitting with Lara from Everglides 2 weeks ago, based on the pictures I sent she noticed I have a square toe box + high arch. I'm visiting them for the in-person fitting on Wednesday and she mentioned Jackson Debut as being the best boot try for me, even if we would be looking at other boots too. She said Edea was best for triangle toe boxes, so it sort of is off the table for me. Correctly self-measuring my feet for the virtual appointment, they are 24 cm long so she's thinking 250 for my boot size.
As for the blades, she mentioned the Legacy 7 : I was reading @Vladik 's thread on the subject, it seems we have very similar experiences with their pro Legacy speech ;) I will try to ask for Coronation Ace blades if possible.
If it's not too much to ask, I would love to know @Ic3Rabbit and @WednesdayMarch 's opinion on all this !
Ahhh you’re getting the pro-Legacy speech too. Seems to be a common occurrence haha!

I wish you luck with getting the CA. The current shortage is really getting to me.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Ahhh you’re getting the pro-Legacy speech too. Seems to be a common occurrence haha!

I wish you luck with getting the CA. The current shortage is really getting to me.
Yeah I guess if they are the only blades widely available, it makes sense they are trying to sell them to most people !
I don't hold out much hope for the CA stock, i'll let the universe decide for me 🤷‍♀️ CAs seem to be available in France though more expensive, at least that's what selling websites show, so it's a possibility.

On this note : does anyone know if you need to be there for the blade mounting, to place the blade on the boot with the best fit, or is it standard and I can send the boots to the shop without being there myself to try them ?

Vladik

On the Ice
Yeah I guess if they are the only blades widely available, it makes sense they are trying to sell them to most people !
I don't hold out much hope for the CA stock, i'll let the universe decide for me 🤷‍♀️ CAs seem to be available in France though more expensive, at least that's what selling websites show, so it's a possibility.

On this note : does anyone know if you need to be there for the blade mounting, to place the blade on the boot with the best fit, or is it standard and I can send the boots to the shop without being there myself to try them ?
If you can’t get the CA, do you reckon you’ll go with the Legacy 7’s? I’ve been so adamant that I won’t cave in, but a 20 week wait - absolutely not lol.

In reply to your question about blade mounting, I’m pretty certain you don’t have to be there, and it’s something you can just send off. Take that with a grain of salt though. I’m just going off what I’ve heard. I’m sure somebody else can reply and confirm that.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Risport if you have high arches in addition to Jackson. ;) If you do really want CA's then stick to that, but know they are on backorder for some time.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
* It's helpful, but not essential, for you to be present when the blades are initially mounted.

* See my previous post here (which contains links to other previous posts) on a discussion of temp mount vs permanent mount:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...blade-advice-needed.95119/page-2#post-3112881 Reply#38

* (a) Often the tech will inspect your feet and ask you to walk around in your socks and note whether each foot is neutral, supinates, or pronates. This will allow the tech to make a better estimate at setting the first temp mount.

* (b) If the blades are mounted right then, you have the opportunity to lace up and walk around with the blades on a mat. The tech will again note whether each foot is neutral, supinates, or pronates. If needed, the tech can then make adjustments for a second temp mount. The boots aren't broken in at this point [ETA: , and you're not on actual ice], so this is just a rough adjustment.

* (c) If the blades are not mounted right then, but later by the same shop that fitted you with the boots, then the tech should at least perform Step (a) and take notes for future reference for setting the first temp mount. Step (b) of course can't be done in this instance.

* (d) If the blades are not mounted right then, and you send them to a different shop for mounting and are not present, then Step (a) and Step (b) can't be done in this instance. The tech will set some default first temp mount.

* Once you get the boots and blades with the temp mount, you then need to break the boots in and check for proper blade positioning and alignment (and possibly other corrective actions). I have other posts on how to do this. Further changes to the temp mount may be needed. Once you pass the checks, you get further screws installed for the permanent mount.

* So an important question for you is do you have a tech at or near your local rink who can do further adjustments to the temp mount and then do the permanent mount? Or are you planning to fend for yourself? If you have a decent local tech, just have them take care of the mounting in the first place while you are present.

Last edited:

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Risport if you have high arches in addition to Jackson. ;) If you do really want CA's then stick to that, but know they are on backorder for some time.
Thank you for your input, I will keep that in mind ! I kinda prefer Risport to Jackson, thought it's completely subjective... (plus they seem a bit cheaper according to their website). Do you think Electra or RF3 Pro ?

* It's helpful, but not essential for you to be present when the blades are initially mounted.

* See my previous post here (which contains links to other previous posts) on a discussion of temp mount vs permanent mount:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...blade-advice-needed.95119/page-2#post-3112881 Reply#38

* (a) Often the tech will inspect your feet and ask you to walk around in your socks and note whether each foot is neutral, supinates, or pronates. This will allow the tech to make a better estimate at setting the first temp mount.

* (b) If the blades are mounted right then, you have the opportunity to lace up and walk around with the blades on a mat. The tech will again note whether each foot is neutral, supinates, or pronates. If needed, the tech can then make adjustments for a second temp mount. The boots aren't broken in at this point, so this is just a rough adjustment.

* (c) If the blades are not mounted right then, but later by the same shop that fitted you with the boots, then the tech should at least perform Step (a) and take notes for future reference for setting the first temp mount. Step (b) of course can't be done in this instance.

* (d) If the blades are not mounted right then, and you send them to a different shop for mounting and are not present, then Step (a) and Step (b) can't be done in this instance. The tech will set some default first temp mount.

* Once you get the boots and blades with the temp mount, you then need to break the boots in and check for proper blade positioning and alignment (and possibly other corrective actions). I have other posts on how to do this. Further changes to the temp mount may be needed. Once you pass the checks, you get further screws installed for the permanent mount.

* So an important question for you is do you have a tech at or near your local rink who can do further adjustments to the temp mount and then do the permanent mount? Or are you planning to fend for yourself? If you have a decent local tech, just have them take care of the mounting in the first place while you are present.
Thank you for the detailed explanation and the link ! I currently have no knowledge of a tech that can do the mounting, but I think I can ask tomorrow to the sellers I know of in France, though they are not fitters. I definitely will not fend for myself, that would be a waste of very good boots :biggrin:
Do you think it would be better to get fitted properly with Legacy 7 at Everglides (if CAs are not available, "worst" case scenario) than to send the boots to a seller in France knowing I won't be there for the mounting ?
I think Everglides will do a permanent mount anyway since the rink will be closed the afternoon I'm visiting so I can't go skating to try it, and then I will be back in France. Travelling there is not too difficult but I would rather not go back too many times...

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Don't be surprised if a 250 is too big. And please say if you feel on trying that it is. Give Lara as much feedback as you possibly can. I think she'll probably start at that size and move down. There are so many variables when it comes to fitting!

If you buy both boots and blades from Everglides, they will do a temporary mount if you request it. Even if they do put more screws in, don't panic. Nothing is truly "permanent", it just means that there's less chance of an accident on the ice! I've lost count of the number of people who have skated for the whole life of their boots and blades with just four or five screws...

ETA: Legacy 7s are not bad blades! If you can't get Coronation Ace, then they are a totally viable option. CA would always be my first pick but Legacy's are okay.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you for the detailed explanation and the link ! I currently have no knowledge of a tech that can do the mounting, but I think I can ask tomorrow to the sellers I know of in France, though they are not fitters. I definitely will not fend for myself, that would be a waste of very good boots :biggrin:
Do you think it would be better to get fitted properly with Legacy 7 at Everglides (if CAs are not available, "worst" case scenario) than to send the boots to a seller in France knowing I won't be there for the mounting ?
I think Everglides will do a permanent mount anyway since the rink will be closed the afternoon I'm visiting so I can't go skating to try it, and then I will be back in France. Travelling there is not too difficult but I would rather not go back too many times...
* A lot depends on whether you can find a local competent tech (at or near where you will be skating) that can do the mounting. So find that out pronto. If you do have one, simply have that tech do all the mounting, including the first one.

* Ideally, you don't want to do a permanent mount right away. With a temp mount, only 4 screws are installed. If the temp mount is off, and you need to remount, you only need to plug 4 old holes and drill 4 new holes. With a permanent mount (which I've discussed in previous posts I've cited above is confusing terminology) more screws are installed. So if you need to remount, you need to plug more old holes and drill more new holes.

* In the worst case scenario (you have no competent local tech), then I would have Everglides do a permanent mount. A CA if in stock; otherwise, a Legacy 7. Here at least they can do Steps (a) and (b) in my Reply #26 and get a better initial temp mount before doing the permanent mount. Here's another point. Typically for a permanent mount, they won't install the full complement of screws. But in this scenario (you don't have a competent local tech who can remount the blades anyways), I would recommend that you request that they install all the screws. That way, if you later have problems with edges, you can more readily install corrective shims (this does not require plugging old holes and drilling new holes, but does require more screws installed, so you might as well put them all in). As I told another skater under similar constraints, this is not what I would consider a good solution, but the least bad solution under your circumstances.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Don't be surprised if a 250 is too big. And please say if you feel on trying that it is. Give Lara as much feedback as you possibly can. I think she'll probably start at that size and move down. There are so many variables when it comes to fitting!

If you buy both boots and blades from Everglides, they will do a temporary mount if you request it. Even if they do put more screws in, don't panic. Nothing is truly "permanent", it just means that there's less chance of an accident on the ice! I've lost count of the number of people who have skated for the whole life of their boots and blades with just four or five screws...

ETA: Legacy 7s are not bad blades! If you can't get Coronation Ace, then they are a totally viable option. CA would always be my first pick but Legacy's are okay.

Thank you WednesdayMarch for your advice on the size, I'll keep that in mind ! Do you have any advice on what to look out for to find the perfect-fitting boot ? (or maybe a thread to link to ?) I've never had boots that do fit me, so I'm not really sure what sensations to search for other than "am I comfortable"... :palmf:

* A lot depends on whether you can find a local competent tech (at or near where you will be skating) that can do the mounting. So find that out pronto. If you do have one, simply have that tech do all the mounting, including the first one.

* Ideally, you don't want to do a permanent mount right away. With a temp mount, only 4 screws are installed. If the temp mount is off, and you need to remount, you only need to plug 4 old holes and drill 4 new holes. With a permanent mount (which I've discussed in previous posts I've cited above is confusing terminology) more screws are installed. So if you need to remount, you need to plug more old holes and drill more new holes.

* In the worst case scenario (you have no competent local tech), then I would have Everglides do a permanent mount. A CA if in stock; otherwise, a Legacy 7. Here at least they can do Steps (a) and (b) in my Reply #26 and get a better initial temp mount before doing the permanent mount. Here's another point. Typically for a permanent mount, they won't install the full complement of screws. But in this scenario (you don't have a competent local tech who can remount the blades anyways), I would recommend that you request that they install all the screws. That way, if you later have problems with edges, you can more readily install corrective shims (this does not require plugging old holes and drilling new holes, but does require more screws installed, so you might as well put them all in). As I told another skater under similar constraints, this is not what I would consider a good solution, but the least bad solution under your circumstances.
Thank you tstop4me, your technical knowledge is really mind-blowing ! I will keep all that in mind and think I will go with either scenario depending on the situation :
- perfect case : Everglides can mount a CA or MK Pro blade
- reasonnable case : either of this blades aren't available, Everglides mounts a Legacy 7 (I currently have MK 21 from 15 years ago so no doubt it will be an improvement anyway !)
- the "I am playing with fire" scenario : I bring only the boots back from Everglides and get CA or MK pro in France knowing the mounting will be tricky. Unless I can get confirmation on this tomorrow while doing some research, I won't go there. Or maybe Everglides would be okay for me to send the blades from France and mount them. But there are too many variables and it feels like a headache ! So it's a 1% probability scenario.

I am extremely grateful to you all for your input and sharing your knowledge with me ! You've taught me so much !
:thank:
:points:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your input, I will keep that in mind ! I kinda prefer Risport to Jackson, thought it's completely subjective... (plus they seem a bit cheaper according to their website). Do you think Electra or RF3 Pro ?
RF3Pro but with the foot issues you described in initial post, try the Royal Pro as well.

Vladik

On the Ice
Forgot to ask, but would love if you could give me an update once you’ve been fitted on Wednesday! I’m getting fitted there soon and not sure what to expect. :biggrin:

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
RF3Pro but with the foot issues you described in initial post, try the Royal Pro as well.
Duly noted, thank you !
Forgot to ask, but would love if you could give me an update once you’ve been fitted on Wednesday! I’m getting fitted there soon and not sure what to expect. :biggrin:
Yes of course ! I planned to update the thread anyway, in case another French person comes by to get some information ;)

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
I have one last question if you don't mind guys : I know Everglides can make insoles and since Lara noticed I have high arches, she mentioned doing insoles as well during the fitting.
But I also saw people commenting on one of their instagram posts about it, saying it was a mistake to offer this service because it should only be done by medical professionnals.
What are your thoughts on this ? I can see a medical professionnal in my area to make insoles but I'm sure they won't be specialised in figure skating so I don't know if it would be worth it.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I have one last question if you don't mind guys : I know Everglides can make insoles and since Lara noticed I have high arches, she mentioned doing insoles as well during the fitting.
But I also saw people commenting on one of their instagram posts about it, saying it was a mistake to offer this service because it should only be done by medical professionnals.
What are your thoughts on this ? I can see a medical professionnal in my area to make insoles but I'm sure they won't be specialised in figure skating so I don't know if it would be worth it.
The custom insoles made at Everglides aren't medical devices, they are custom made to support your arches in your skates. Many of my skaters have them and are thrilled with them.

Elenea

Rinkside
The Legacy 7 should't be a terrible choice. But probably an adjustment since you skated on a MK21 blade prior.

I skate on a predecessor of the Legacy 8 Lite blades and really love them (but to be fair I learned on Ultima blades (Aspire). But I have MK Pros on my outdoor skates, so I can compare them.
I found the biggest diffrence to be the position of the drag pick. With the Ultima blade it is a really short and easy way to hit it, while with the MK Pros it feels like an eternity.
I can't jump a waltz jump in the MK Pros let alone an Axel 🙈. And all landings feel more unstable but I am not sure if this is because of the drag pick position or because its a 7" rocker blade instead of a 8".

What is great for jumping is a nightmare for spinning and skating backwards though. It took years to get me of the drag pick while spinning, I just could't find the small spot between pick and crashing backwards. It is really subtle.
Once I finally found it, all spins improved rapidly. Same applied for skating backwards. Took a while to get off that pick while doing cross-overs and glidings after I got the blades. Pro: I can lean a fair bit back till I fall of that blade (not recommended 😂)

I can't really compare footwork since one is a 8" blade and one a 7" blade. Since you would get the Legacy 7 there shouldn't be a too big difference.

So if you already had trouble with skating backwards or had the feeling of being to far forward on your toes, Legacy might not be the right choice for you. But if you want a stable blade they might be great for you.
Please don't get Coronation Ace Lite or MK Pro Lite. Few skaters at our rink got them because they couldn't get the normal ones and most of them are not satisfied. The gliding zone seemed narrower and they had trouble with the stability of their landings.
Good luck on Wednesday 😊

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can see a medical professionnal in my area to make insoles but I'm sure they won't be specialised in figure skating so I don't know if it would be worth it.
Orthotics for figure skates are different from those for walking shoes and running shoes. If you go to a podiatrist for prescription orthotics for figure skates, do so only if they have experience prescribing them for figure skates. I don't know about France, but in the US there doesn't seem to be many.

Elenea

Rinkside
If you have just high arches, they should suffice. Only if you suffer from any severe foot deformity I would recommend to get medical insoles (and you need a find a good ortotech since 99% percent have no clue about skating). So Everglide is probably the safer way to get custom insoles that fit your foot AND your skates 😅
And please get some. Arch support can make a big difference in skating and in comfort. I have hollowfeets and my toes were tingly while skating first and later turned numb. I tought my boots were too narrow for a long time (and my stupid younger self didn't do anything about it because I tought I would have to buy new skates) but it turned out I just needed custom insoles 🤷