2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program

The triple axel was very cheated on the take off but it was landed well with only a quarter turn on the ice. I would have given it zero GOE but I see nothing wrong with a judge giving it minus 1. Congratulations to Mao for pulling it together! The triple flip was really one of the best I have ever seen by her

I don't think that it was really cheated on the take-off. 1/4 pre-rotation is pretty standard on axel jumps because you slide off the edge with no assistance of the toe-pick so it's impossible to leave the ice straight away. It's the landing that was a bit under 1/4 short but she managed to get decent flow coming out regardless, given the circumstances. I also would have given it base GOE (+1 for the height and flow throughout and -1 for the under-rotation).

Ziggy, I am really sorry but I don't think it was under-rotated. On the link it is not clear when exactly her blade lands on the ice, so what you think may have been extra rotation on the ice may still be in the air. According to the rules, if not sure, do it in the favour of the skater. Which is what I think the judges did. I was definitely not sure from the link so I would give it to her too.

It's pretty clear because there is a slight loss of flow + snow being sprayed and her blade is not yet backward at that point (5:21-22 in that video). If her blade was still in the air, that wouldn't have been the case.

elif

Medalist
Ziggy, I am really sorry but I don't think it was under-rotated. On the link it is not clear when exactly her blade lands on the ice, so what you think may have been extra rotation on the ice may still be in the air. According to the rules, if not sure, do it in the favour of the skater. Which is what I think the judges did. I was definitely not sure from the link so I would give it to her too.

I think judges had to reduce GOE even without < sign. Maybe Ziggy talking about that. From ISU rules:

Jump GOE
Lacking rotation (no sign) -1
Under-rotated (sign < ) -1 to -2
Downgraded (sign << ) -2 to -3

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What a strong competition. Asada most definitely deserved to score the highest ever in the SP with that performance. There was a beautiful freedom to her skating that hasn't been there in a LONG time. It was better than Yu-Na in Vancouver. The footwork was superior and with the 3Axel she has higher jump content.

Murakami was absolutely SCREWED over yet again. WHAT THE ****?!? Those jumps were NOT more than 1/4 underrotated.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
What's so wrong in Mao breaking the WR? Her base value is insane and no one can match it. We all knew that if by some miracle she pulls it together she is unbeatable purely thanks to TES. I am sorry, but if Adelina could score 74+ with a frickin 3T-3T, 3F and 2A, Mao's 78+ with 3A, 3F and 3L-2L combo in the second half actually seems underscored.
Her SP had everything today, PCS wise very strong, spins were great and fast, steps were amazing and her jumps were particularly strong. This is the hardest SP layout any lady has ever done. Her WR is well deserved.
I love Carolina but 2 points over Mao on PCS was a bit too much.
I am so curious how Adelina would have placed with a clean SP here. I am guessing somewhere near Julia.

fruitbasket

Rinkside
good draw for Gracie, the others in her group will skate already

its is Gracie's Gold medal to lose now
a strong max SP score in 74+ and 148-150+ LP should be enough for her to take the gold medal

seriouslyyyyyyyy....maybe at 2015 world in the U.S.

since sochi olympic, athletes from host nation should win gold.....

sk8in

Match Penalty
The triple axel was very cheated on the take off but it was landed well with only a quarter turn on the ice.
Would be nice to see someone edit a vid showing this. I couldn't detect any pre-rotation. It looked really strong and airy, with really fast rotations in the air.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There are a few people commenting on the event having not even seen it. I absolutely recommend anyone in the dark go back to Pg. 16 when things started getting a little loopy amongst GS members. I saw every skater and stayed up over 24 straight hours!!

Oh my - maybe you became loopy with lack of sleep lol

Gold's 3loop was almost 1/4 cheated as well and between that and a clear break after the steps, she also got off lightly on the GOE with only four judges giving her negative GOE and three of those -1 only.
http://youtu.be/wWkpwt60mmU?t=2m20s

A tip: the youtube has 0.25 slow motion function. All Mao's jumps look fine using the quarter speed slowmo. Good height and all rotated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f04HfUU2aaQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m18s

Oh, thanks a lot! I've never used it before and had no idea it was there.

Check the axel again. The toe-pick seems to touch the ice a little before 1/4 (but you can't be sure of that and the weight is not fully over the blade anyway so whatever) and the full blade seems to touch the ice a little past the 1/4 point.

So my point is: She was in the clear for no < call and I am not disputing that but the judges should still deduct -1 from whatever base GOE they establish.

I think judges had to reduce GOE even without < sign. Maybe Ziggy talking about that. From ISU rules:

Jump GOE
Lacking rotation (no sign) -1
Under-rotated (sign < ) -1 to -2
Downgraded (sign << ) -2 to -3

Yes, that's what I mean. Unless the judges see < or <<, they almost never deduct and according to the rules they should be. Probably using the 'unsure so giving skater the benefit of the doubt' excuse that hanca mentioned.

I understand that point of view but if you know what to look for, you can notice most cheated jumps in real time (the loss of flow/sprayed snow/'hooked' landing). And even if you were potentially wrong, those thing come under negative landing aspects anyway.

How do you think the technical panel knows which jumps to review? They have extremely limited time to review the elements and they absolutely cannot review every single jump. They must know what to look for and which jumps to re-watch. If the technical panel can do that, why can't the judges?

Murakami was absolutely SCREWED over yet again. WHAT THE ****?!? Those jumps were NOT more than 1/4 underrotated.

That second 3toe couldn't have been any more obviously cheated as she very visibly lost flow as well as balance (slightly) on that hooked landing. It was definitely the right call, IMO. Using the replay slo-mo plus YT slo-mo, I see the under-rotation being a bit more than 1/4.
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl1GkEDU_Ng&feature=youtu.be&t=5m2s

Did you manage to watch the 3flip in slo-mo? It wasn't replayed after the program was over and when I use the 0.25 slo-mo on YT, I see the cheat but between the camera angle, poor video quality and the slo-mo not being slow enough, I have no clue whether it was more or less than 1/4. I'd have to download the video and watch it frame-by-frame but I cba. :p
Video link: http://youtu.be/Jl1GkEDU_Ng?t=2m26s

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Well Ashley and Gracie are about where I thought they'd be. Both skated clean, Polina was a little shaky, but still I think so far it is a good showing from the US women.
But it seems if Ashley wants to move up why doesn't she do a triple lutz for her solo jump? It seems as if she is playing it safe but if she wants to get closer to the podium she can't keep playing it safe.

What a great competition, especially for a post Olympics worlds. Mao was stunning and so was Caroline. So gorgeous.

ETA: What a great audience and the arena is packed! You can feel the energy, very positive and I am sure that is rubbing off on the skaters. :)

Well Ashley and Gracie are about where I thought they'd be. Both skated clean, Polina was a little shaky, but still I think so far it is a good showing from the US women.

Gold cheated the 3loop (a bit under 1/4) and didn't connect it directly with preceding footwork. Wagner's 3toe was cheated just over 1/2 and two-footed as well. Less noticeable and obvious errors but they were there.

But it seems if Ashley wants to move up why doesn't she do a triple lutz for her solo jump? It seems as if she is playing it safe but if she wants to get closer to the podium she can't keep playing it safe.

Because her lutz is a flutz so she would get an 'e' call and negative GOE, most likely. So it's not worth it. A 3loop with +1-2 GOE is worth more points than a 3lutz with -1 GOE.

BusyMom

Medalist
Would be nice to see someone edit a vid showing this. I couldn't detect any pre-rotation. It looked really strong and airy, with really fast rotations in the air.
You right. Axel is one of the edge jump. It need the edge turn before the take-off.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I love Carolina but 2 points over Mao on PCS was a bit too much.

That won't happen in the LP if they're both clean. Mao skates after Caro.

In Sochi, Caro had better SP PCS than Yuna because she skated after. In the LP Yuna had better PCS because she skated after. Which is completely stupid but it is what it is.

elif

Medalist
What I am missing about Pogorilaya's 3Lo? Her GOE even less than Wagner's 3Lo so something must be off. I did see some steps and turn before the jump, rotation looked good, landing has flow, jump exit with transition. Why she only got +0.10 or why Wagner got more?

Art&Sport

Medalist
What they do on the ice matters to a point, and then it's all about politics re the placements. Suddenly Julia L is a star after Sochi (even pre-Sochi that was being set up) and now Pogorilaya. As well, Gracie is the Ameican to beat and Ashley Wagner will be given respectable scores but not the scoring rep she had even during the GPs.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But hasn't Kostner gotten higher PCS than Asada pretty much this entire quad, SP or FS? They didn't face off at this season's GPF though.

Mao generally hasn't skated well this quad. Even before Sochi, when Adelina skated well she scored very close to Caro on PCS so Mao should for sure be able to catch Caro. I'm sure Mao will bring down the house if she can duplicate her Sochi LP and that could be reflected in the scores.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
There are a few people commenting on the event having not even seen it. I absolutely recommend anyone in the dark go back to Pg. 16 when things started getting a little loopy amongst GS members. I saw every skater and stayed up over 24 straight hours!!

Dang. That seems to start around 4:30 AM ET, when I finally went to bed b/c of having to get up & go to work @ 7:45. It's called earning a living; being a productive member of society is vastly overrated. Leaving ofc now & will read the good stuff later @ home.

BTW, how was the pizza? ;)

You get that I'm just messing w/ you, right? So much fun to dish out grief online -- especially when you can stay anonymous!. :hb:

Yup, c'est moi: loopy!