2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program

bebevia

On the Ice
The thread actually looks more peaceful and rational after most people drained from night's stand, intoxicated with caffeine, or suffering aftereffects from one. Even the fight backs look gentle. All threads do. Or, maybe, I'm too mentally bleached out to view the world so positively.

Selene

On the Ice
Blades of Passion said:
Murakami was absolutely SCREWED over yet again. WHAT THE ****?!? Those jumps were NOT more than 1/4 underrotated.

Did you bother to watch the slow-motion replay? Both her second 3T and 3F were clearly cheated over 1/4 a turn and deservingly received UR calls.

What they do on the ice matters to a point, and then it's all about politics re the placements. Suddenly Julia L is a star after Sochi (even pre-Sochi that was being set up) and now Pogorilaya. As well, Gracie is the Ameican to beat and Ashley Wagner will be given respectable scores but not the scoring rep she had even during the GPs.

Honestly, Ashley is lucky to be in 7th place. The girls behind her all have 3-3s and superior overall technical abilities. Ashley should stop pretending she can do a 3-3. Her attempts are getting worse and worse. The 3T is obviously UR and two-footed every time.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That second 3toe couldn't have been any more obviously cheated as she very visibly lost flow as well as balance (slightly) on that hooked landing. It was definitely the right call, IMO.

Losing flow and balance on the landing has nothing to do with determining rotation. The takeoff point and landing point are what matters.

Murakami Takeoff

Murakami Landing

Her blade needs to be 90 degrees (1/4 turn) past the takeoff point to be worth full base value. You can see she takes off facing the wall and her blade comes down perpendicular (1/4 turn) of that point. The rotation is very close but it's there.

With the Flip it's even more obvious that she made it around enough.

hohoho

On the Ice
Losing flow and balance on the landing has nothing to do with determining rotation. The takeoff point and landing point are what matters.

Murakami Takeoff

Murakami Landing

Her blade needs to be 90 degrees (1/4 turn) past the takeoff point to be worth full base value. You can see she takes off facing the wall and her blade comes down perpendicular (1/4 turn) of that point. The rotation is very close but it's there.

Hello Blades. Can you analyse Kaetlyn lutz to JLip? KO got a flutz call while Jlip did not

Scott512

Record Breaker
What's so wrong in Mao breaking the WR? Her base value is insane and no one can match it. We all knew that if by some miracle she pulls it together she is unbeatable purely thanks to TES. I am sorry, but if Adelina could score 74+ with a frickin 3T-3T, 3F and 2A, Mao's 78+ with 3A, 3F and 3L-2L combo in the second half actually seems underscored.
Her SP had everything today, PCS wise very strong, spins were great and fast, steps were amazing and her jumps were particularly strong. This is the hardest SP layout any lady has ever done. Her WR is well deserved.
I love Carolina but 2 points over Mao on PCS was a bit too much.
I am so curious how Adelina would have placed with a clean SP here. I am guessing somewhere near Julia.
Agree about the world record. Well done by Mao. If she did this or anyhting close to this in Sochi it would have been an even crazier battle for gold than it was. As for Adelina I think she would have been somewhere between 2 and 4 in the short program if she was there, focused and hungry. But she's not there. And her replacement Anna Pogorilaya did well for her first major international competition.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just looked at the protocols. Caro received 4 10's, 3 for Int. and 1 in P/E. Wow!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hello Blades. Can you analyse Kaetlyn lutz to JLip? KO got a flutz call while Jlip did not

JLip stays on a slight outside edge for her lutz. You can tell she's straining a bit to do it, but she manages. The +2's she got for that combination were not deserved.

Kaetlyn did flutz a little, although everything else about her Lutz is superior in comparison to Jlip's. I wouldn't have given her -GOE on that jump.

tjskate

Rinkside
Thanks, it must be me. I still just get a small "x" in the upper left hand corner. Maybe my version of Acrobat...but I just checked (I have Reader X version 10.1.9) and it says no update available. Bleah :p

Snoopy15

On the Ice

Murakami Takeoff

Murakami Landing

With the Flip it's even more obvious that she made it around enough.

To me, the Triple Toe being under-rotated could've gone either way on the call, so that is justifiable. The Triple Flip was definitely all the way around, though.

usethis2

Medalist
Try downloading it by "right click -> save target as" and opening it off-line.

Edit: 9 out of top 10 received lvl 4 step sequence for this SP event. Hah. ;)

skatel80

On the Ice
Caro got all 10's in theEuro's FS For her SS. She's kind of good too. Not all good scores are suspicious merely for being good.

Glad someone finally said this^. Not everything has to be a controversy . This may be a strange concept for some i know;-). I have seldom seen such a well skated ladies event. Mao was absolutely stunning as was carolina and julia is so impressive.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad someone finally said this^. Not everything has to be a controversy . This may be a strange concept for some i know;-). I have seldom seen such a well skated ladies event. Mao was absolutely stunning as was carolina and julia is so impressive.

Except I meant all 3's on the step seq!! But the premise is the same. Not every single score is suspect as some seem to have as a first reaction. I'll remember that SP for the rest if my life. Watching it live is so much different than analyzing YouTube videos. I, like the skaters, was literally shaking before the last two groups. It was downright unhealthy how nervous I was for Mao and Yulia!! The judges are prone to this excitement too albeit from a totally different and less fanatical sense. :slink:

That atmosphere was contagious. Thank you Japanese audience/fans!! :love:

sk8in

Match Penalty
Uh yeah Carolina's whole strategy has been to be the modern Michelle Kwan. She didn't get high PCS because of the skating order. She got them because of her speed/smooth edges/easy technique. I believe she was actually smiling as she entered her triple triple haha? Dunno why anyone is surprised.