Kaetlyn Osmond Still Injured / Injured Again?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond Still Injured / Injured Again??

skateluver

Rinkside
Kaetlyn is so young to be sustaining all of these injuries. I wonder if it's turning into a chronic issue. I really hope not, because she is a great mix of a wonderful performer and an explosive jumper. If she could improve her jump consistency, she could be a real contender at the World level.

I agree. I like her a lot and I hope this injury doesn't ruin another season for her. I believe she could be on the top if she stays healthy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, for me suffice to know that Cartoll is not her full time coach. I'm happy with that.
I don't want him to turn her in another boring princess, skills or no skills. It's not her style and she is fine just the way she is.

I am sure Osmond and Canada would be quite happy if she turned into an Evan or Michelle Kwan :)

Alba

Record Breaker
I am sure Osmond and Canada would be quite happy if she turned into an Evan or Michelle Kwan :)

Why would she want that? She has her style and she is great the way she is. She doesn't need to be a clone of anyone.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Why would she want that? She has her style and she is great the way she is. She doesn't need to be a clone of anyone.
Actually, I'd have to agree. I like her passionate style and I'm not sure training full-time under Frank would help develop it. If anything, it might turn her into the vanilla ice princess that Gracie's style is now except Kaetlyn has loads more artistic ability to work with.

That kind of thing might help Gracie because of her relative lack of artistry, but I don't think squeezing Kaetlyn into that mold would help much.

Alba

Record Breaker
Actually, I'd have to agree. I like her passionate style and I'm not sure training full-time under Frank would help develop it. If anything, it might turn her into the vanilla ice princess that Gracie's style is now except Kaetlyn has loads more artistic ability to work with.

That kind of thing might help Gracie because of her relative lack of artistry, but I don't think squeezing Kaetlyn into that mold would help much.

My point exactly. I mean I adore Kwan, the best skater of all times for me, but Osmond ain't Kwan and doesn't need to be.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
My point exactly. I mean I adore Kwan, the best skater of all times for me, but Osmond ain't Kwan and doesn't need to be.
Definitely! Side note/off-topic: I was looking up performances at 2014 U.S. Nationals last week and I realized that Gracie's costume colors were so similar to Michelle's in the 1998 Olympic season. Actually, now that I think about it, that high bun everyone keeps taking about was similar to Michelle's too (in the way that Michelle also had a bun piled high on her head).

Yeah, no attempts at carbon copies, please.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the putdowns of Carroll's coaching. Osmond could only dream of having Kwan's technical consistency :rolleye:. At Kaetlyn's age, Michelle was already a two-time World champion and an Olympic individual silver medalist.

It is a concern that a series of injuries have begun to plague Kaetlyn after only one season of senior competition. Michelle's issues with chronic injuries didn't begin until after she had been skating continuously at every ISU and cheesefest event over a 10-year period.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I love the putdowns of Carroll's coaching. Osmond could only dream of having Kwan's technical consistency :rolleye:. At Kaetlyn's age, Michelle was already a two-time World champion and an Olympic individual silver medalist.

It is a concern that a series of injuries have begun to plague Kaetlyn after only one season of senior competition. Michelle's issues with chronic injuries didn't begin until after she had been skating continuously at every ISU and cheesefest event over a 10-year period.

I am not sure a comparison to Kwan is wholly fair. That was a much different time, and Kwan didn't have the technical difficulty you NEED to have to be competitive nowadays. Whether she 'could' have if she'd needed to is a moot point, just as IMO the comparison is moot. For all we know if she'd had to do the spins and jumps required nowadays she'd have been injured too (also moot speculation). Additionally the average age of a competitor back then was (IMO fairly indisputably) skewing much younger than it does today. She wasn't competing against OGM and OSM veterans who had been on the scene winning everything for 10 years.

I do agree that the injuries don't bode well though. Hopefully this is something she can get past and she will have many healthy years ahead of her.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I love the putdowns of Carroll's coaching. Osmond could only dream of having Kwan's technical consistency :rolleye:.

I wasn't talking about technical ability/consistency (different eras, etc)--I was talking about style. But sure, okay, whatever.

Yeah, Kaetlyn's plethora of injuries sounds very concerning, especially since she was injured around this time last year as well.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yeah, Kaetlyn's plethora of injuries sounds very concerning, especially since she was injured around this time last year as well.

I mentioned it earlier - I'm wondering if all of these injuries aren't related - that she was trying to get back on the ice too quickly because of the Olympics.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've seen it posted here that she wants to land a 3a and a quad. Are these injuries a result of those attempts maybe? TBH I'm not overly concerned and think she'll be fine for the GP. Especially if she is planning on returning to training so soon.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think during the summer and after her GP assignment, so injury and reinjury

It's the same time this year as well. Oh ****. How bad was it the last year? Maybe Amei is right, maybe she was trying to get back on the ice too quickly because of the Olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Ugh, lol. I meant the results Evan and Michelle got are great and Osmond would be thrilled to get them as would Canada. I am not sure where she is at stylistically wise - reading some of these posts many are not impressed. But she does have a certain spunk and like her predecessors Manley, Chouinard and Rochette all of them had a nice style and power with big jumps - they just needed to learn consistency and deal with those nerves.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm glad she's being smart and not aggravating her injuries. It was quite evident that last year she was not prepared for competition at Wild Rose. Hopefully she can stay healthy and be a factor this season.