Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC

bmcc102

Rinkside
I never disliked Scott or Sandra, but I DO like the new team of Johnny-Tara-Terry! They just have IT. :)

I would love for them to add some skating tutorials to their broadcasts like ABC used to do. I think it would help new viewers we might have gained last year from the Olympics. :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I find Scott super annoying, Sandra is more tolerable, Johnny and Tara are better than the both but American commentary is still on the bottom of my list for commentary I would rather watch. I hope Sandra will do more choreography, I like her better in that role.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Extremely disappointed by this decision. I guess I liked the "drama" and "excitement" that Scott and Sandra added. I felt like Johnny and Tara were so monotone. Their commentary in Sochi was just unbearable for me. They both stumble over their words and just don't add anything substantive.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I could handle Scott in small doses, but there are a lot of people that I prefer listening to in place of him.

I can't stand listening to Sandra. She just grates on my nerves, and I can't completely explain it.

I'm very happy that they're switching Tom Hammond for Terry Gannon, at least there it's almost like watching skating on ABC again. :)

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I find Scott super annoying, Sandra is more tolerable, Johnny and Tara are better than the both but American commentary is still on the bottom of my list for commentary I would rather watch. I hope Sandra will do more choreography, I like her better in that role.

I love the two male Eurosport commentators, They are my favorite.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I love the two male Eurosport commentators, They are my favorite.

Me too! They are mostly unbiased but still enthusiastic about good performances no matter who it comes from.
It only annoys me a little when they can't seem to get Yuzuru Hanyu's name right even though they love his skating.
It gets worse when they are excited. :laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Just be thankful that you get figure skating on your TV's. I have to illegally stream on the internet and once every four years I get skating coverage. Even though there is Eurosport Australia, it never shows any winter sports except snow sports.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Two things:

1. Now we know why Bezic is choreographing again... (and I for one can't wait to see how she deals with COP); and
2. They need to bring in Tanith for Ice Dancing; Johnny and Tara's "commentary" was worse than useless here.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Two things:

2. They need to bring in Tanith for Ice Dancing; Johnny and Tara's "commentary" was worse than useless here.

Wow, that's definitely true. Though Tanith was so wildly biased for all things Zoueva, not sure she's the perfect choice. . .

fadeevfan

Rinkside
I like Johnny/Tara, and they are indisputably an improvement from Scott/Sandra. Scott so rarely said anything insightful or surprising; he seemed so afraid of offending anyone, he wouldn't really go out on a limb. He was the opposite of Dick Button, and viewers got the short end of the hockey stick.

But I still miss Button's authority. Neither Johnny nor Tara really have it -- they're fun, and insightful as recent competitors. But I can't see that becoming that useful as the sport evolves, unless they do, too. Button could talk about dance and history and culture, explaining how it all fit together. J/T can't do that. It's all surface observations. But maybe they'll grow. . .

And as has been said, no one else is really much better. Had hope for Kurt, but . . . zzzzzz.

Naya

On the Ice
Tara and Johnny are OK to me. I'm kinda happy Bezic is going, she was a little annoying and biased.

starlight97

Final Flight
Love Johnny!
Can't stand Tara!
I remember watching Lipnitskaya skate at Skate Canada and Tara commenting. It was horrible!
Instead of talking about the performance that was going on they babbled on about TARA and how she has done all of this and that she talked to this and that person and then, when she finally stopped babbling (partly about herself) after half of the programm was done, she started criticizig the skater, while a flawless skate was delivered?!
Of course she also said some nice things, but nothing that adds something and I just can't stand her talking so much.
Btw, does anybody know who's the female commentator in this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zZof7eL27GA ( 1:20 + 1:43 + 2:20 )
I think this is by far the rudest commentating I've heard, and then in the end she goes "wow what a position" ... "Another "Waxel" (?) .. *laughs*" Seriously?

noskates

Record Breaker
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. I'm SO happy to read this. While Tara isn't especially a favorite of mine I do think Johnny is excellent. He's current on judging requirements, he doesn't play favorites, and I think his assessments have been spot on! I'm really happy about this (can you tell?)

eta: reading back through the posts, I honestly did not notice Johnny being bitter about Jeremy, etc. I do think Jeremy has earned whatever derision he's garnered. All that potential and never produce. BUT - perhaps I wasn't listening for bias.

I am so glad that Dick Button and Peggy Fleming aren't in the mix anymore. I'll never forget Dick saying that a good spiral was more important than a triple jump any day. Hello! What planet do you live on? And Peggy was just boring as hell. And don't get me started on Peter Carruthers. Blechhh. (that was the sound of a finger going down a throat and causing extreme retching)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I think this is about entertainment first and not necessarily sports journalism. Mind you Scott Hamilton was no skating rocket scientist. I think Bezic had amazing insight before COP - whic she never understood. Johnny is an entertainer; a respect sports journalist not. And Tara, I am sorry to say I am not sure how in the world she got to report anything. She is attractive and has an olympic gold but really the most forgetable OGM imho. She didnt skate all that long and didn't have the story of the skating style of even the short careered Oksana Baiul. Sure she was a third rate soap star for a bit but her knowledge of skating or communicated knowledge is lacking. Johnny is interesting for what he wears and how he says something but neither adds to the credibility of NBC sports or the sport of skating - which maybe just another nail in the coffin why many say skting isn't a sport -b ecause be truthful other than Howard Cosell (and he was probably more of an entertainer, neither Tara or Johnny or really formidable sports commentators. most skaters have their biases. I think the best analytical thinker of the commentators has been Tracy Wilson. Most annoying Dick Button perhaps. I am not sure Tara is a particular great personality, entertainer or skate analyzer. She really doesn't have a lot to offer as a commentator other than being aesthetically atttractive but her insight seems almost contrived or given to her by someone half the time. I wonder if there is anything else she can do to make a living?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think it is good to promote figure skating as a form of entertainment. At least Johnny and Tara have good sense of fashion which adds to the entertainment value of figure skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If we can get them on the talkshow circuit a few different times promoting figure skating it would do wonders for the sport. They have the perfect chemistry and charisma to help sell the sport in such a format. Good move by NBC and US figure skating could really benefit. Now...will they capitalize.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't know if there is any commentator who can please everyone. Dick Button was pleasant to listen to, but he had his obvious biases. The British Eurosport guys are charming and seem to be the most impartial, but it makes me cringe the way they bungle any remotely "ethnic" name - especially if it's a skater that has been around for a few seasons and they still can't get it right. Scott's "s/he nailed it!" shriek is an earworm I don't think I'll ever get rid of (I still imagine him saying it when I'm watching skating w/out his commentary) and Sandra's breathy voice...the worst. I don't expect Johnny & Tara to be perfect either. More than anything I just hope they will be able to draw in new fans.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think this is a good move for the sport. Tara and Johnny are fresher, newer and much more entertaining than Scott and Sandra. We're entering a completely new era of skating and I think that after 20+ years that warrants a new set of commentators. I like that they kept Terry Gannon on...he's a good contrast to Tara and Johnny and should keep the commentary from spiraling into incoherent crazy babble.

I'm excited for them. I thought they did a great job in Sochi and I definitely preferred listening to them than to Sandra and Scott. Sandra and Scott had/have obvious favorites and did not do a good job of staying unbiased during Sochi, but I expected that. I've never been Tara's biggest fan but I do think she's a pretty decent commentator...though I do hope we won't have to hear any more about how Tara was 15 and competing at the Olympics--hopefully that was just for Sochi. And Johnny is just honest and fabulously sassy; he makes me laugh.

I'm looking forward to hearing their commentary this season. :popcorn:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I'll miss Scott and Sandra. I always enjoyed Scott's enthusiasm and I found Sandra pleasant. I find Tara a little bland (I think she needs a bit more seasoning in the B-Team) and Johnny's voice grates on me.